MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dean's List in 2nd year Business All Business Academics 0 08-23-2010 09:02 PM
Waiting List?! Mfm12 Residence & Housing 3 06-24-2010 10:02 AM
Dean's List kathyt.25 Academics 6 05-31-2010 02:08 PM
Course List? rakhrans Academics 2 05-30-2010 03:05 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM

Dean's List

Old 12-25-2009 at 10:59 AM   #16
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleilaxu View Post
Really? I thoguht for the Faculty of Science it was something like 15-20 percent.
It varies across faculties, obviously some see higher numbers (insert Health Science joke) than others. In general, it is between 10-20% of the students.
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:05 PM   #17
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Do they just send you a certificate, or do we have to go to a ceremony type thing to get it?
Depending on how big the faculty is and how many people make the list, you may or may not get a ceremony...I've only seen a ceremony for the faculty of science once, and I wasn't even involved since I was in my first year haha.

I don't know if they mail the certificates eventually, but even if they do they might get bent up during the mailing process. I'd recommend dropping into the office of the associate dean of your faculty and making an inquiry about the certificates. They have them available for pickup at some point. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
the Dean's list is for 30 credits per session right? Is it worth taking 6 courses next term so that one has a chance at being on the list? (First term kinda looks good but maybe it was because I only had 4 courses this term)

THANKS =)
It's good to try, but don't put the extra pressure on yourself, and expect yourself to complete it (If you do, it's an added bonus!)...I know from experience, having been in a similar situation, that taking a 6th course just to get on Dean's Honour doesn't work out well.

If you accept the possibility of being overworked and dropping the course (and don't mind 'wasting' a few hundred bucks on the course), then by all means I'd highly recommend it. (:

Here's a big note though: Your units roll over, despite what you'd expect. If you've taken courses in the summer which put you over your 'quota,' ie. after first year you've now completed 33 units instead of the standard 30, then if you take 27 units, even in your 4th year, these 3 extra units will count toward being on Dean's Honour List. It happened to me in my third year, after taking summer courses almost 2 years prior. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-25-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Jake, sinthusized all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 12-25-2009 at 12:40 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
It varies across faculties, obviously some see higher numbers (insert Health Science joke) than others. In general, it is between 10-20% of the students.
Indeed. For Humanities and Soc Sci I would doubt if it is even 10% of students. Stupid subjectivity garbageface.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

sew12 likes this.
Old 01-04-2010 at 10:37 PM   #19
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Here's a big note though: Your units roll over, despite what you'd expect. If you've taken courses in the summer which put you over your 'quota,' ie. after first year you've now completed 33 units instead of the standard 30, then if you take 27 units, even in your 4th year, these 3 extra units will count toward being on Dean's Honour List. It happened to me in my third year, after taking summer courses almost 2 years prior. (:
are you sure about this mowicz?! cause i'm contemplating dropping a course right now (will have 4 this term). that gives me 27 units from sept-april, but i took 2 summer courses this past summer. my deciding factor is whether i'd be able to get on teh dean's list or not, and sadly i can't find it anywhere on the mcmaster website.
Old 01-05-2010 at 12:43 AM   #20
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
are you sure about this mowicz?! cause i'm contemplating dropping a course right now (will have 4 this term). that gives me 27 units from sept-april, but i took 2 summer courses this past summer. my deciding factor is whether i'd be able to get on teh dean's list or not, and sadly i can't find it anywhere on the mcmaster website.
You would be on. However, if you only took summer courses after the Fall/Winter session it wouldn't count - I should know. It has to be directly before or during the regular school period.

ali11 says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 11:34 AM   #21
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Info about Dean's Honour List for reference: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...ent/pg131.html

ali11, manu all say thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 01-14-2010 at 10:10 PM   #22
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Is this ceremony worth going to? Don't really want to go if it's a waste of time.
Old 01-14-2010 at 10:43 PM   #23
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
I took 27 units in first year, 6 units in summer school, and I still got on the Deans' Honour list.

I emailed asking about it and they said my summer courses were included.
Old 01-14-2010 at 10:52 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Indeed. For Humanities and Soc Sci I would doubt if it is even 10% of students. Stupid subjectivity garbageface.
I feel your pain.

lorend likes this.
Old 01-14-2010 at 11:04 PM   #25
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
I took 27 units in first year, 6 units in summer school, and I still got on the Deans' Honour list.

I emailed asking about it and they said my summer courses were included.
thanks man.

i dropped by the dean's office and they told me i'm eligible too, so i'm enjoying my term with 4 courses for now
Old 01-16-2010 at 03:20 PM   #26
Aysha_SM

Liked: 0 Times

I have the same question as knox, essentially. I know the ceremony's on January 27th (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd rather not go if it's "pointless" .
Old 01-16-2010 at 05:05 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

My mom really wants to go to this ceremony, so I can't back out of it >.> At least go, it's probably only like an hour and a half at the most two hours. It's not that bad if you live close and can go home after.
Old 01-16-2010 at 08:53 PM   #28
dchan28

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysha_SM View Post
I have the same question as knox, essentially. I know the ceremony's on January 27th (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd rather not go if it's "pointless" .
Where did you get January 27th from?
Old 01-16-2010 at 11:26 PM   #29
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

They sent out invitations and such... although mine was from the faculty of social science, I heard not every faculty does these ceremonies.
Old 01-17-2010
Nicole
This message has been removed by a moderator. .