MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remaining Marks Are Out On Degree Audit!!! maclover Academics 21 01-04-2011 09:18 PM
Degree Audit Mango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-26-2010 08:34 AM
Mac Calender Vs. Degree Audit... Toast Academics 5 06-16-2010 12:46 PM
Question about degree Audit Nate1 Academics 5 06-03-2010 10:38 AM
No marks on degree audit zakrata Academics 4 04-27-2010 02:58 AM

Degree Audit Showing Final Marks

Old 05-28-2011 at 09:47 PM   #46
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
When was your first year.

In my first year, these are the courses I KNOW were bellcurved:
Chem 1E03
Physics 1D03 and 1E03
Math 1Z04 and 1ZZ5
My first year was 2010-2011 year. I can hardly imagine 1E03, 1D03 or the Math courses being bell curved. However, for Math 1ZC3, the weight of the midterms/exams was changed.

I could see 1E03 having a bellcurve. A lot of people did not do so well in that course.
Old 05-28-2011 at 09:50 PM   #47
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol. Why on Earth would they need to 'curve' chem 1e03?
I tutored a lot of my friends in the course. I never truly understood why they found the course to be difficult.
Old 05-28-2011 at 09:55 PM   #48
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
My first year was 2010-2011 year. I can hardly imagine 1E03, 1D03 or the Math courses being bell curved. However, for Math 1ZC3, the weight of the midterms/exams was changed.

I could see 1E03 having a bellcurve. A lot of people did not do so well in that course.
Physics 1E03 was easy. We didnt have 3 maths like you guys, we had 2, and only good prof was Childs. Classes would get too full and he wouldnt teach until people left and no1 was sitting on the stairs.

As for why people find Chem 1E03 hard, its because our first year is way too diverse with the amount of new material we are learning and the difficulty of it as well - unless you study most of the time your going to find it challenging.
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:04 PM   #49
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Physics 1E03 was easy. We didnt have 3 maths like you guys, we had 2, and only good prof was Childs. Classes would get too full and he wouldnt teach until people left and no1 was sitting on the stairs.

As for why people find Chem 1E03 hard, its because our first year is way too diverse with the amount of new material we are learning and the difficulty of it as well - unless you study most of the time your going to find it challenging.
Yes 1E03 was easy. I did not claim it was hard.

What do you mean by, I quote ; "too diverse with the amount of new material".

I don't know about you but around at least 3/4 of the chemistry material was not new. Now that I think of it, it is around 90%.

Math was a joke. But maybe that is just because I was lucky to have learnt all of Calc I in Grade 12.

Fairly, the material is somewhere between easy and medium on a "difficulty scale". The problem with engineering is getting ready for tests (i.e being able to solve a problem fast).

I think your first year engineering and all the first year engineering that followed are equal in difficulty. You would have to have first years over again to be able to form the best judgement due to comparison. I have met people who had to do their first years again, and they thought it was the same.
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:27 PM   #50
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
I think your first year engineering and all the first year engineering that followed are equal in difficulty. You would have to have first years over again to be able to form the best judgement due to comparison. I have met people who had to do their first years again, and they thought it was the same.
Completely not true. When they change the courses up, which they did, how can you say its the same difficulty? It was changed from Visual C# to Python because Python is a MUCH easier language to grasp for first time programmers due to its simplistic structure. They only had the 2 math courses for 2 years, and now its back to offering 3 maths - clearly that didnt work out too well either.

Also, you guys had McLean and Childs.. two awesome profs. Who did we have? Protas and Ceasar Velez? LOL.

Oh, and the quote, it meant in a varierty of courses. If you didnt take Chem gr12 in highschool (if you didnt plan to go into Chem eng, why would you? for example..) you will find it hard, then add the lab time and intense material for math 1Z04 and 1ZZ5, it becomes harder and harder to manage if you dont study properly, which is why first year averages for most courses are around the 50% mark.

Last edited by blackdragon : 05-28-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2011 at 11:10 PM   #51
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Completely not true. When they change the courses up, which they did, how can you say its the same difficulty? It was changed from Visual C# to Python because Python is a MUCH easier language to grasp for first time programmers due to its simplistic structure. They only had the 2 math courses for 2 years, and now its back to offering 3 maths - clearly that didnt work out too well either.

Also, you guys had McLean and Childs.. two awesome profs. Who did we have? Protas and Ceasar Velez? LOL.

Oh, and the quote, it meant in a varierty of courses. If you didnt take Chem gr12 in highschool (if you didnt plan to go into Chem eng, why would you? for example..) you will find it hard, then add the lab time and intense material for math 1Z04 and 1ZZ5, it becomes harder and harder to manage if you dont study properly, which is why first year averages for most courses are around the 50% mark.
I did not consider the fact that some people do not take Chemistry course in Grade 12.

However, the material in math engineering for first year is clearly not intense.You don't need to have a good prof, everything related to the course is well explained in the books. Furthermore, with Internet and the prof's office hours, one can hardly find an "excuse" for screwing up.

Yes we had Childs and McLean. What about the other courses ? Or the TAs ? You can't just claim our first year engineering is easier because we had better profs for math, you also have to look for profs in other courses and you also can't forget about the TAs.

Changing the courses does not mean the courses are going to become easier.

Yes, 1D04 must have been easier during the 2010-2011 year but there were also some weight marking changes which does not necessarily mean a better one in terms of difficulty.
Old 05-28-2011 at 11:27 PM   #52
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:

It's a requirement for Engineering I, or at least it is this year.

Source
Old 05-29-2011 at 12:16 AM   #53
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
It's a requirement for Engineering I, or at least it is this year.

Source
Yeah when I applied it was 2 of bio,chem,physics. I stayed away from bio :p
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:45 AM   #54
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
But his behavior is just pure douchebaggery.
Why hello Mr Pot! Have you met my good friend Ms Kettle?

vruby says thanks to BVictor for this post.
Old 05-29-2011 at 09:56 AM   #55
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor View Post
Why hello Mr Pot! Have you met my good friend Ms Kettle?
Lawleypop vs BVictor.

Ya ok

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

britb, Faer, L'Étoile like this.
Old 05-29-2011 at 10:26 AM   #56
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Childs kicked you guys out? In Stats 2B03 he didn't care, people would sit on the stage and he'd just say something like "lots of seats down at the front if your interested."

And sometimes he'd joke about his first years...

/goes back to watching Engs flame each other

Last edited by britb : 05-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2011 at 10:34 AM   #57
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

Likee this stuff just scares, how can the marks you deserve be lowered by the school :( :|
Old 05-29-2011 at 10:39 AM   #58
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Childs kicked you guys out? In Stats 2B03 he didn't care, people would sit on the stage and he'd just say something like "lots of seats down at the front if your interested."

And sometimes he'd joke about his first years...

/goes back to watching Engs flame each other
Haha well, in JHE 376, every seat was taken, and people were sitting on the stairs from the top all the way to the bottom. Apparently it was a fire hazard, they had to call head of math department in with a CLASS LIST to kick people out, it was pretty funny lol. Happened a couple times that it overcrowded too.
Old 05-29-2011 at 12:30 PM   #59
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure the material they learn in Chem 1E03 was the same as what we learn in Chem 1A03. In fact, all 5 labs were identical as well, the only difference being that lab 3 and 4 were swapped. Perhaps the engineering version had slightly harder tests, but to require mark inflation/adjustment in that class seems unnecessary to me. I would have thought math 1ZZ5 and the electromagnetism physics (1E03 I think?) would be the most difficult first year courses for eng. Or at least that seemed to be the consensus last year.
Old 05-29-2011 at 12:35 PM   #60
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I don't know, I'm pretty sure the material they learn in Chem 1E03 was the same as what we learn in Chem 1A03. In fact, all 5 labs were identical as well, the only difference being that lab 3 and 4 were swapped. Perhaps the engineering version had slightly harder tests, but to require mark inflation/adjustment in that class seems unnecessary to me.
*laughs*

You want to know something funny? My brother's in first year eng, so he was doing Chem 1E03 as I was doing Chem 1A03. On the day of the final exam, he was going over his midterms and there was one question he couldn't figure out which I had a stab at and sorta figured out (I got the right answer, anyway). I didn't think much of it and went to write my final.

Lo and behold, SAME QUESTION. EXACTLY THE SAME. Not even a change in the values. I didn't even attempt working it out, just blacked in the answer.

So yeah. The test even looked easier to me than Chem 1A03, but I'm not going to claim it is.