MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nothing worth having comes easy, right? Kendoon General Discussion 4 11-11-2010 11:15 PM
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Horizon worth it? VoyozooT General Discussion 14 07-23-2009 11:47 PM

What is a degree worth?

Old 04-11-2011 at 02:08 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Hmmm, it says you're in commerce, so I say you're either lying or completely dillusional. Cause in the off-chance (REALLY off-chance) that you've been able to somehow avoid these 2/3 lecture a week cores by selecting the one that condenses it to one lecture a night (even though they don't exist for all the commerce mandatory courses...), you would've at least known that they existed considering you've been a non-mentally handicapped student at mac for three years registering for classes and customizing your timetable. And yet again, in the complete off-chance that you've managed to somehow avoid even trying to customize your timetable or even look at the mastertimetable to compare cores/tutorials, you would've know about the 2/3 lectures from friends/people you creep on.

I honestly don't know what else to say besides "you're stupid."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-11-2011 at 02:08 PM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat9 View Post
almost all classes have either 1 or 2 or 3 lectures. i know most classes in any faculty usually do a 2 lecture + 1 tutorial thing or 3 lectures + 0 tutorial. :p i dunno why that person didn't realize this considering hes been here for 3 yrs and i've only completed my 1st yr :p

lol she's obviously trolling... come on guys :p
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:10 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
lol she's obviously trolling... come on guys :p
Being sarcastic isn't the same as trolling.

Don't insult either by comparing them to one another.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 04-11-2011 at 02:19 PM   #19
Mac12

Liked: Liked 2 Times

About $24,000... tuition
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:15 PM   #20
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

well it takes you 4 years to finish eng program so 8000x4 = 32000$

And how do people manage to cheat sounds interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac12 View Post
About $24,000... tuition

just noticed you beet me to it
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:21 PM   #21
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

a lot of students in electrical and computer engineering cheat.. In midterms and exams, nobody really cheats.. but labs, assignments, group work are totally passed around(even the profs admit it!) some even go to the extent of asking someone else to attend their lab and complete on behalf of them or sign their name on behalf of them in a tutorial if the tutorial has attendance marks.. its a shame really..

Its partially because these type of students are just there for the degree, who just want that high paying job without acquiring those required engineering skills. They fail to recognize that they can get through uni with the help of friends but they can't get through their job with their friends' help. Nobody will come and sit through their job for them.

And its partially because the courseload in elec and comp eng is so heavy that time is not enough.. the only way to correct this situation is to lower the courseload and increase the time to get a degree from 4 years to say 5 years... I wonder when the faculty will understand this...
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:29 PM   #22
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Being sarcastic isn't the same as trolling.

Don't insult either by comparing them to one another.

opinion noted... thanks for input
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:48 PM   #23
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Having finished electrical engineering, I somewhat agree with the OP. Sure there was a lot of copying of assignments going on in the department at the time and some cheating on tests, but that was less of a occurrence. However, you shouldn't be naive in thinking that the professors and to some extend the administration don't know that this is going on. The problem is that accusing someone of academic dishonesty is a serious thing. There is a lot of paperwork and the investigation isn't taken lightly. I know for a fact that a few profs in my department simply did not want to get involved or were to lazy to accuse a student due to the long process.

On the bright side, as many have said before me, those who cheat are simply cheating themselves. Industry people/employers know whether someone can talk the lingo and knows his stuff over someone that may simply be throwing out memorized information at the interview. For those that get through the interview, its usually their lack of fundamentals and/or their work ethic (cheating shows a very poor work ethic) that gets them the boot not too long into employment.

In the end, its what you get out of your degree that counts. If you think about it we all the students in a particular program are taking the same courses pretty much, but its those that attempt to get the most of the courses that succeed the most in the end.

mfattal likes this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:53 PM   #24
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Having finished electrical engineering, I somewhat agree with the OP. Sure there was a lot of copying of assignments going on in the department at the time and some cheating on tests, but that was less of a occurrence. However, you shouldn't be naive in thinking that the professors and to some extend the administration don't know that this is going on. The problem is that accusing someone of academic dishonesty is a serious thing. There is a lot of paperwork and the investigation isn't taken lightly. I know for a fact that a few profs in my department simply did not want to get involved or were to lazy to accuse a student due to the long process.

On the bright side, as many have said before me, those who cheat are simply cheating themselves. Industry people/employers know whether someone can talk the lingo and knows his stuff over someone that may simply be throwing out memorized information at the interview. For those that get through the interview, its usually their lack of fundamentals and/or their work ethic (cheating shows a very poor work ethic) that gets them the boot not too long into employment.

In the end, its what you get out of your degree that counts. If you think about it we all the students in a particular program are taking the same courses pretty much, but its those that attempt to get the most of the courses that succeed the most in the end.
You couldn't be any more correct man. When you get a degree, you still need to review the facts.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:55 PM   #25
mfattal
Elite Member

When some one takes engineering + management will the course load become lighter i know that it adds another year but will the work load be the same or less??

thx
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:01 PM   #26
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
When some one takes engineering + management will the course load become lighter i know that it adds another year but will the work load be the same or less??

thx
In general, I find we have less stress and have more time to understand difficult concepts. This is mainly because every management student I know finds the management stuff easier than the engineering courses. You end up getting equivalent work of straight engineering, but a bunch of it is easy work, and my semesters with many management courses end up being jokes.
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:14 PM   #27
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
In general, I find we have less stress and have more time to understand difficult concepts. This is mainly because every management student I know finds the management stuff easier than the engineering courses. You end up getting equivalent work of straight engineering, but a bunch of it is easy work, and my semesters with many management courses end up being jokes.
That's exactly right in my experience as well.
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:30 PM   #28
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
That's exactly right in my experience as well.
but does the world load spread or stays 6 courses per semester??

Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:34 PM   #29
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Still around 6 courses a term but you have commerce courses as well, which are typically easier than the engineering ones.
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:39 PM   #30
t.oszust

Liked: 1 Time

You will have the same number of courses as you would if you were in straight engineering - sometimes more. However, you will be taking courses in economics, commerce and management which are generally easier and/or require less work than engineering courses, resulting in a smaller workload overall.