MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Business School Videos Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-01-2010 05:59 PM
Conflict Plagues The School Of Business Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-06-2010 04:23 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Ten: DeGroote School of Business jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 2 09-29-2009 05:29 PM

Degroote School of Business (2009)

Old 06-06-2009 at 12:44 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Degroote School of Business (2009)
There are lots of Commies on MacInsiders! So if you have any questions at all about being in Business at Mac post them on MacInsiders! Use this thread to meet your fellow Degroote 2013 classmates!

From the Degroote website:

Undergraduate Commerce
The DeGroote School of Business is proud to be one of the leading undergraduate business programs in Canada. You will gain knowledge and develop the skills necessary for positions of leadership in organizations spanning all sectors of the economy.

DeGroote’s innovative approach to education and training begins in the classroom, where Commerce students learn the fundamental concepts of business. Through class work and the Commerce Internship Program, students have the opportunity to apply their knowledge to practical business situations and gain valuable hands-on experience.

And it pays off.

The spring 2007 graduating commerce class scored in the 95th percentile in North America on the Major Field Test . This was the eighth consecutive time the undergraduate program at DeGroote has scored in the 95th percentile.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 11:42 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Gooooooo Commerce!!!

If anyone has any questions about the Commerce program, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:17 AM   #3
fuzzyskittle

Liked: 0 Times

Is it true that if you fail one mandatory course (the business courses I believe), you are automatically kicked from the program? As in, there are no chances to raise/gain that credit through summer school? :x
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:24 AM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyskittle View Post
Is it true that if you fail one mandatory course (the business courses I believe), you are automatically kicked from the program? As in, there are no chances to raise/gain that credit through summer school? :x
Unfortunately, this is true. You only have one chance to get into 2nd Year Commerce, and it's dependent on you successfully completing ever mandatory course on your first attempt. If you happen to fail a mandatory course, you may be able to pursue a different faculty other than Commerce if your grades are high enough. Often, students will switch into Economics if they happen to get kicked out of Commerce.

Be careful though; While you're allowed to fail electives, you can't fail more than two (assuming you're taking a full course load) or you'll get kicked out as well.

fuzzyskittle says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:28 AM   #5
fuzzyskittle

thanks,

but, does that only apply to 1st year students? or does that happen for every-yeared students? (getting kicked out if you fail a mandatory course)
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:32 AM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyskittle View Post
thanks,

but, does that only apply to 1st year students? or does that happen for every-yeared students? (getting kicked out if you fail a mandatory course)
Only first year students are subjected to that extreme rule. In following years, you won't get kicked out for just failing a mandatory course. However, if you fail too many, or if your GPA goes below the minimum for the program due to failing courses, you'll still get kicked out.
Old 06-09-2009 at 06:56 PM   #7
Victor K

Commerce ftw <3
Old 06-09-2009 at 07:29 PM   #8
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

question
I am worried about taking the wrong electives and not being able to do second year courses because I don't have the prerequisites. Do I have to take certain electives to get my degree or I can just stick with random business related courses for the first year? FYI I am going for Commerce. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2009 at 07:50 PM   #9
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

The courses you have to take are outlined in the undergrad calendar:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1188.html

You should be able to register for all your mandatory courses no problem (as long as you register on time). As for electives, if there's a conflict you can always take the elective another year.

- Alex
Hons B.Comm, Econ Minor - 2008
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:30 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I believe you are guaranteed to be in your mandatory courses. If the class if full you should contact the registrar to sort things out.

As for the failing of two courses/electives, isn't that somewhat true for every program? Aren't you put on academic suspension?
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:58 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
As for the failing of two courses/electives, isn't that somewhat true for every program? Aren't you put on academic suspension?
Yeah most likely. It's just in first year, the Commerce program is really unforgiving about failing a course. That being said, I guess if you fail a first year commerce class you probably wouldn't have performed very well in upper years anyways, which I guess is where they are coming from with that policy.
Old 06-28-2009 at 08:27 PM   #12
shay

I have my academic session coming up this week but i have no clue about what courses to take as electives other than anthro
are there any courses recommended and courses without alot of essays?
Old 06-28-2009 at 11:58 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I have my academic session coming up this week but i have no clue about what courses to take as electives other than anthro
are there any courses recommended and courses without alot of essays?
It depends what you are interested in. Some common choices are the two intro psych classes, or Sociology 1A06, or Communication studies or the two geography classes. All of these classes have written assignment/essay components though.
Old 06-29-2009 at 01:45 AM   #14
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Hi! I'm asking a question in behalf of my friend, so he has a quick question about Business I:

I was wondering if I can take anthropology, geography AND sociology?

Because on the site it says
3- 6 units from ANTHROP 1A03, GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03), SOCIOL 1A06

Am I limited it to 6 units, or can I take more..?

Thanks so much! =)
Old 06-29-2009 at 01:47 AM   #15
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
Hi! I'm asking a question in behalf of my friend, so he has a quick question about Business I:

I was wondering if I can take anthropology, geography AND sociology?

Because on the site it says
3- 6 units from ANTHROP 1A03, GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03), SOCIOL 1A06

Am I limited it to 6 units, or can I take more..?

Thanks so much! =)
You can take more, I certainly did. I took Socio 1A06, Psych 1X03, and Geo 1HA3.

aya017 says thanks to PTGregD for this post.