ECON 2X03 vs. ECON 2G03 John H General Discussion 20 10-12-2009 10:07 PM
Econ 2x03 bnixon10 General Discussion 3 08-25-2009 02:03 PM
ECON 2G03 vs ECON 2X03 dreamcrisis Academics 1 06-16-2008 04:45 PM

Did anyone take Econ 2X03 before??

Old 06-11-2010 at 10:45 PM   #1
shellsmile

Liked: 0 Times

Did anyone take Econ 2X03 before??
Emmm..I want to take Econ 2X03 this summer.
Will this course be easier for summer section? Or if it is depends on profs??
Here's a few choices of profs:
BRUCE, J
YAMAGUCHI, S
HAN, S

And...How difficult is this course overall??

Thank you in advance^ ^
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:27 AM   #2
leaffan

Liked: 4 Times

Take it with Bruce hes the best.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:28 AM   #3
folle_25

I took this as a summer course together with an accounting course and didn't do so well on it because i dont think i was focused enough and prepared for the fast pace of summer. I didnt have any of the profs u may have but the best advice i can give is just to make sure u read over and understand the material and just do lots of questions....they really help you and all questions are mostly similar....i.e. they all follow the same concept so once u get the hang of it you'll be fine
Old 06-15-2010 at 12:25 PM   #4
lovleen06

Don't Do It
I'm taking econ 2x03 right now during term 1 of summer school.
The prof is Hannah Holmes and she goes through the material so quickly which is tough because the math is so intricate. I wish I waited until the school year.
Old 06-15-2010 at 01:44 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovleen06 View Post
I'm taking econ 2x03 right now during term 1 of summer school.
The prof is Hannah Holmes and she goes through the material so quickly which is tough because the math is so intricate. I wish I waited until the school year.
How intricate? I'm curious, I have it this coming summer term.

Old 06-17-2010 at 11:29 PM   #6
lovleen06

Very intricate. I guess it depends on what prof you have.
Old 06-17-2010 at 11:33 PM   #7
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i recommend taking this course during the regular term, i had Aswani as a prof and he does not really teach. He does an example and expects you to understand. I ended up dropping the course and taking 2H03 with O'Shaggnessy. She is an amazing professor but the allocation of marks is severely flawed.
Old 06-17-2010 at 11:56 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Um... I took it for like 2 months during the school year and just finished it in summer school tonight... Had Aswani. Either I'm not good at 2x03, or it's just bloody hard... Definitely the hardest course I've had to date. Maybe I'm just not used to having to work for a mark since Commerce is generally easy. But yea, it's hard. Don't really think the prof matters.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-18-2010 at 12:27 AM   #9
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Um... I took it for like 2 months during the school year and just finished it in summer school tonight... Had Aswani. Either I'm not good at 2x03, or it's just bloody hard... Definitely the hardest course I've had to date. Maybe I'm just not used to having to work for a mark since Commerce is generally easy. But yea, it's hard. Don't really think the prof matters.
i was in that class, i didn't find the material to be difficult but he was a terrible prof. I ended up getting used to his accent but his teaching style is terrible. Also the textbook for the course needs to be changed, its very bland and hard to understand.
Old 06-18-2010 at 01:43 AM   #10
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
How intricate? I'm curious, I have it this coming summer term.
Most complicated thing I had to do was on test 1. I had to find a conditional demand functions and it took a lot of rearranging... Too much for my taste lol, but you can get through it. You're gonna be doing basic integrals and you'll also be using derivatives. I don't recall if I ever had to use chain rule, but I remember quotient rule and chain rule were used for some of the proofs.

It won't be anything compared to Math 1Z04, 1ZZ5, 2Z03 or the terrible terrible terrible 2ZZ3.

@Comments about Aswani

I actually thought he was pretty good. It takes a bit of time to get used to his accent, but if you follow along and write down the notes you'll understand most of the material. I basically only studied from lecture notes and never once used the textbook.

However I can see where healthsci1 is coming from. I guess he does sometimes go a bit quick. It might be difficult if you're not good with math or you're the type of learner that takes things slower. Everyone has their own learning style

Last edited by khaotic : 06-18-2010 at 01:45 AM.

eullwm says thanks to khaotic for this post.
Old 06-18-2010 at 05:53 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
i was in that class, i didn't find the material to be difficult but he was a terrible prof. I ended up getting used to his accent but his teaching style is terrible. Also the textbook for the course needs to be changed, its very bland and hard to understand.
Well:
a) way to say hi
b) I hope you weren't one of those douchebags who talked all the damn time. >_<

The textbook doesn't do ANYTHING... such a waste of money.

Old 06-18-2010
Toast
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-18-2010 at 08:14 AM   #12
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

The course isn't too hard. Just make sure you understand the concepts, DO APLIA FOR YOURSELF! (if you have it), and on tests, make sure you spell out EVERY step and assumption you make. They mark it so anally its not even funny. Miss a dollar sign? Lose half mark. Miss equal sign? Lose half mark. Other than that, it's not too bad, though the math is annoying now and then.
Old 06-18-2010 at 09:18 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
The course isn't too hard. Just make sure you understand the concepts, DO APLIA FOR YOURSELF! (if you have it), and on tests, make sure you spell out EVERY step and assumption you make. They mark it so anally its not even funny. Miss a dollar sign? Lose half mark. Miss equal sign? Lose half mark. Other than that, it's not too bad, though the math is annoying now and then.
Um, definitely not for summer. XD I got part marks everywhere.... They were just handing them out.

Old 06-18-2010 at 11:22 AM   #14
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Um, definitely not for summer. XD I got part marks everywhere.... They were just handing them out.
Maybe that's why you weren't getting full marks lolololo