MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so I have to write an essay andrew22 Academics 14 03-29-2010 10:09 PM
Please Write Course Reviews! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-10-2009 09:40 AM
Write for the Frontline! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 4 11-15-2008 12:35 PM
Write out notes or type out notes? Chad Academics 50 08-21-2008 02:54 PM

How did you write your notes?

Old 08-25-2010 at 01:08 PM   #16
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

more like 54 hours of extra sleep time
Old 08-25-2010 at 01:11 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
more like 54 hours of extra sleep time
o.O That's 19-20 hours of sleep a day... Lol XD

But if you are serious, I think more than 12 hours of sleep isn't very good for your health...
Old 08-25-2010 at 02:08 PM   #18
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmt View Post
In high school I would write my notes quickly in class and then rewrite everything neatly into my notebook to help me remember it more... but then one of my friends told me that in university you won't have time for that... is that true?
It sounds like a number of people have been able to make time for that. I personally did that in first year, but found it to be way too time consuming and inefficient. I did it partially during upper years (i.e. only rewrote the notes that were too messy or rewrote the notes that I later realized could be written in a different way). I switched methods quite a bit over the years and over the different courses I had.

Most likely you'll be doing a lot of experimenting in first year to find the best way you learn anyways, so if a technique sounds good to you now, just try it out. If it doesn't work, alter it to fit your needs.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:53 PM   #19
RachBros

Liked: 2 Times

Alright thanks everyone, I'm going to take all this information into consideration and make my decision.
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:14 PM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
It sounds like a number of people have been able to make time for that. I personally did that in first year, but found it to be way too time consuming and inefficient. I did it partially during upper years (i.e. only rewrote the notes that were too messy or rewrote the notes that I later realized could be written in a different way). I switched methods quite a bit over the years and over the different courses I had.

Most likely you'll be doing a lot of experimenting in first year to find the best way you learn anyways, so if a technique sounds good to you now, just try it out. If it doesn't work, alter it to fit your needs.
I agree. I rewrote notes in first year, but it was too much of a waste of time.

Rewriting notes word-for-word is too time consuming. I think a better idea is to actively process the information by making condensed study sheets. Study smarter, not harder.

Old 08-26-2010 at 11:25 AM   #21
Howard

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I agree. I rewrote notes in first year, but it was too much of a waste of time.

Rewriting notes word-for-word is too time consuming. I think a better idea is to actively process the information by making condensed study sheets. Study smarter, not harder.
Exactly.

Also, instead of rote memorization, I find it useful to understand/"rationalize"/visualize and use mnemonics or make connections, oh, and summaries too. I think this link might help clarify a bit:
http://csd.mcmaster.ca/wp-content/up...ng-process.pdf
- this is related to "studying smarter"

For info on notes and studying stuff, you can check out:
http://maclife.mcmaster.ca/academics..._resources.cfm
- it has short videos with transcripts of what's said and basic summaries
- a lot more info than the link above, but might help if you're really struggling