MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger Academics 2 06-08-2010 03:38 PM
Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM
Recommended Computer Software mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 07-27-2009 10:54 PM

Difference between Computer and Software Engineering?

Old 11-22-2008 at 05:11 PM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Difference between Computer and Software Engineering?
I'm in first year engineering right now and I know I want to do either one of these next year, but I don't really know the differences between the two. I like programming, and did it for three years in high school. I didn't have much experience with circuits outside of simple logic gates and stuff thought. Can anyone in either of these fields give me some advice?

Right now I'm thinking embedded systems in Software engineering since everyone on the internet seems to always need new/better drivers :p That would be kind of cool to be one of those guys that hacks operating systems on to devices that they were never intended for... well, at least to an engineer. :p
Old 11-22-2008 at 07:13 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Computer Engineering is more concerned with circuit analysis, digital circuits, logic, different computer and architectures, networking protocols and the like. You do get the chance to work with some embedded circuits and real-time systems too.

Software engineering (I presume) focuses more on algorithms and algorithm development as well as software quality issues. You learn software development processes and steps to follow and some other stuff which I'm sure a software eng on here can expand upon.
Old 11-23-2008 at 08:10 AM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Ya im considering to do computer or electrical since theres just too many people this yr that wants civil or mechanical..is there a lot of programming in computer or electrical?..im ok at programming but i personally hate it lol..here's hoping someone sheds some light here..

Last edited by kenvin100 : 11-23-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2008 at 12:31 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
there's just too many people this year that want civil or mechanical
Same with Mechatronics... seems like there are way too many people planning on that - I don't even get what the point is. You aren't specialized in anything... how exactly are you useful?
Old 11-23-2008 at 12:40 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

There is quite a bit of programming in both. The curriculum is pretty much the same up until 3rd year when you start branching out (i.e. elec takes power course, comp takes digital circuit design and such).

Over all I would say there's more programming in Comp (obviously) but you get to try your hand at a few different languages in both. Comp also does more hardware programming (VHDL and Verilog and such) though if you take the right courses in Elec you'll do it too.

I would suggest taking a look at the curriculums from the ECE site www.ece.mcmaster.ca and then looking into the courses you would be taking to see if you think you'd like them.
Old 11-23-2008 at 01:25 PM   #6
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Okay I know mechanical would be the hardest of all Engineering Majors...
And also have heard software is the easiest...
I know this is off-topic
But can anyone tell me if I'm correct or not?
I want to get into the easiest major.
Old 11-23-2008 at 03:40 PM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
I want to get into the easiest major.
Why are you here if you only want the easy way out?
Old 11-23-2008 at 05:41 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Over all I would say there's more programming in Comp (obviously)
Wait - so what does one do the rest of the time in software then?
Old 11-23-2008 at 05:51 PM   #9
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Wait - so what does one do the rest of the time in software then?
I think he was comparing Computer and Electrical, which are pretty much the same in second year.
Old 11-23-2008 at 06:24 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
I think he was comparing Computer and Electrical, which are pretty much the same in second year.
Okay, I got very confused for a second there, lol.
Old 11-23-2008 at 06:58 PM   #11
DannyV
Elite Member

Yeah I was responding to Kenvin's question about programming in Elec and Comp.
Old 11-23-2008 at 07:16 PM   #12
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

hmm interesting thx Danny..

well I think in the end of the day, u will have to do some form of programming regardless wat engineering program you're in, why else is programming a compulsory in our first yr right ..i guess the people who do civil,mech, or tron will have the least amount of programming work in their years, which could explain y so many people would consider it a choice (not as a primary reason though)

@aj-maxx: if u wanted something ez, u should've attended Rye-high...life aint ez..nor is software..then again, it depends on wat u like doing..if ur into physics, u'd love mech..or if ur a *cough* geek *cough*, u'll do software haha lol! (iJoke)

Old 11-23-2008 at 09:30 PM   #13
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Why are you here if you only want the easy way out?
I wanted the easy one cause I want to finish the whole get-your-degree-and-get-the-hell-outta-hamilton thing in 3 years... *shrugs*
Old 11-23-2008 at 09:39 PM   #14
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
@aj-maxx: if u wanted something ez, u should've attended Rye-high...life aint ez..nor is software..then again, it depends on wat u like doing..if ur into physics, u'd love mech..or if ur a *cough* geek *cough*, u'll do software haha lol! (iJoke)
Ahh that joke, iLike. But the geeks do civil & mechanical...I mean atleast all the geeks I know are going to civil or mechanical or biomed...but then I basically think everyone is a geek in engineering...(If anyone got offended by that...Then you should transfer)
Isn't that why Software has amongst the lowest of cut-offs?

And so iWait...
Old 11-23-2008 at 10:10 PM   #15
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
I wanted the easy one cause I want to finish the whole get-your-degree-and-get-the-hell-outta-hamilton thing in 3 years... *shrugs*
You could always try other programs if you want out even faster. I think there are a lot of English courses offered in the summer so that would definitely help you fast-track.