MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-11-2010 02:25 AM
Minor in Software Engineering? Jeger Academics 2 06-08-2010 03:38 PM
Software Engineering & Management TheAxtmann Academics 16 06-02-2010 08:20 AM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM
Recommended Computer Software mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 07-27-2009 10:54 PM

Difference between Computer and Software Engineering?

Old 11-23-2008 at 11:10 PM   #16
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
You could always try other programs if you want out even faster. I think there are a lot of English courses offered in the summer so that would definitely help you fast-track.
No I really want to do Engineering...
I mean right now the only effort I put into it is...Going to class
I haven't bought a Textbook yet...Never studied for a test/midterm...and still have an overall 84.73% on me without having any electives. If i do put in an effort I'd probably be able to manage more courses getting a better grade too.
And I forgot to add by "easy" I mean the same thing...Compared to First Year...Will it be as easy as this or harder?

And well English is my best/favorite subject...but engineering = $$$
Old 11-24-2008 at 02:04 PM   #17
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
hmm interesting thx Danny..

well I think in the end of the day, u will have to do some form of programming regardless wat engineering program you're in, why else is programming a compulsory in our first yr right ..i guess the people who do civil,mech, or tron will have the least amount of programming work in their years, which could explain y so many people would consider it a choice (not as a primary reason though)

@aj-maxx: if u wanted something ez, u should've attended Rye-high...life aint ez..nor is software..then again, it depends on wat u like doing..if ur into physics, u'd love mech..or if ur a *cough* geek *cough*, u'll do software haha lol! (iJoke)
Tron actually does a lot of programming, since they take Software Eng courses. Materials does no programming (at least in second year, not sure about upper year courses).
Old 11-24-2008 at 06:27 PM   #18
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Hopefully Tron starts learning OOP too. Quite sad to see the Tron kids in my third year Software Eng class left in the dark by this concept which is assumed knowledge.
Old 11-25-2008 at 02:13 AM   #19
Sengoku

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
And also have heard software is the easiest...
Easiest to get into doesn't imply easiest- If that's where you're getting that from. I have nothing to compare software to to tell how the degree of difficult stacks up against the other disciplines, but I can assure you no Engineering is easy.
Old 11-25-2008 at 07:01 PM   #20
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

ya, theres a majority of people this year who are getting bad marks and think of going to computer or software engineering because it is the "easy way out", or they think they can get into that program without worry. Since assuming the cutoff is low. They will be disappointed of the large number of people going into that program.

computer engineers should have a kick-ass rig, 42 inch tv/monitor, self-modified consoles, love games for the cost of a dvd, drink beer and lots of jolt , and live like a pig.

Old 11-25-2008 at 07:27 PM   #21
gregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Hopefully Tron starts learning OOP too. Quite sad to see the Tron kids in my third year Software Eng class left in the dark by this concept which is assumed knowledge.
I really don't know how that works...I'm in 3rd year Comp + Mgmt (in 3K04 too) and we took C#/OOP with Wassyng in first year.
Old 11-26-2008 at 05:01 AM   #22
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Actually Bobby, this year is the year of civil/mech engineering..i dont even get why..is there that much high demand? I mean, we're even in a recession and who knows what'll happen once we graduate..

Old 11-27-2008 at 07:33 AM   #23
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Well. im in Software engineering and embedded systems yr 2

So far it seems pretty much exactly what i wanted. I have taken software courses through highschool and love programming, but i also like soldering circuits and whatnot, so i wanted some theory for electrical in the background .

Embedded software isnt pirated like OS software, its more stable (you can create a rock solid product that doesnt crash...), and its fun to "see" your program do something, eg turn on the (CRT) tv with a push of a button. Digital Logic (2da3) is a really cool course, making calculator circuit using logic. Eng2mm3 Electrical Circuits isnt fun, but the theory is important to know.

my two cents
-Kevin

Last edited by kevinf : 11-27-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2008 at 12:02 AM   #24
sagar

[quote=kevinf;41661]Well. im in Software engineering and embedded systems yr 2

So far it seems pretty much exactly what i wanted. I have taken software courses through highschool and love programming, but i also like soldering circuits and whatnot, so i wanted some theory for electrical in the background .

i like the logic gates in physics, but not the amplifier and transistors...do you predict that i will like embedded systems? and does embedded systems mean to design something on the computer or is it physically done?
Old 12-03-2008 at 06:54 PM   #25
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Physically done, do you mean on breadboards and such? then not yet, maybe ask a 3rd or 4th year.. im not sure.

In digital logic we used a PLD with 7 segment displays, push buttons, LEDs, etc. and we made programs to say, do 3 bit addition using 6 dip switches and output onto the 7segment display. Our final project is to create a programmable processor that has 8 instructions (move, add, subtract, xor, etc), and 4 memory registers, all in a programming language called Verilog. We wont actually implement onto a circuit board though... we don't go to the transistor level, we stay at logic gates.

Digital logic is actually not an embedded only course, its just a software course with a focus on circuit design and logic principles, computer engineering has a somewhat similar course.

I cant recommend what to go in, its all up to you, check out the calendar for each course and see what you like.
Software eng: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/crs_648.htm
Software Embedded: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_236.htm
Computer: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_210.htm

-Kevin

Last edited by kevinf : 12-03-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 at 05:50 PM   #26
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Software Engineering does not imply programming. Far from it, in fact. I haven't had a programming course since 2nd year. There are some assignments which may include it as part of a question, but other than that there's very little programming in SE. I'd argue that Comp/Elec do more programming than us.

SE focuses on the principles of design, software quality, and math... lots of math. I've taken courses in logic, discrete math, control systems, communication systems, performance analysis, statistics, requirements, numerical methods, thermodynamics, etc.

If you love computer programming, you should go to a college for that. Programming is just a tool that engineers use to make things (regardless of discipline).
Old 12-14-2008 at 08:18 PM   #27
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Agreed. University is for theoretical where as college is for trade- related. The difference in the two is minimum, but I still want to go into Computer Engineering, apparently some engineering developing companys such as ATI, Ubisoft <- I want to work there. The requirements are mostly univeristy bachelor degree in computer engineering.

Lots of opportunities I must say. . .

Old 12-14-2008 at 08:44 PM   #28
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

If software engineering doesn't involve programming or engineering software, then what is it you do?

Also, how much actual programming is involved in Mechtron and what does it involve?
Old 12-14-2008 at 08:46 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Software Engineering does not imply programming. Far from it, in fact. I haven't had a programming course since 2nd year. There are some assignments which may include it as part of a question, but other than that there's very little programming in SE. I'd argue that Comp/Elec do more programming than us.
.... I don't understand the point then.
Old 12-14-2008 at 09:32 PM   #30
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You're engineering software not developing software. You learn how to improve it, how to find mistakes, different development cycles and paradigms, etc.