MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
difference in cultures! dhgn General Discussion 119 11-09-2010 09:45 PM
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Combined Honours Degree vs. Two Degrees Shmowen Academics 1 08-08-2010 05:49 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM

Difference between a Major and a Combined degree

Old 06-01-2011 at 06:16 PM   #1
AwS92

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Difference between a Major and a Combined degree
I'm debating on what to choose right now as my major, but I can not decide to either major in Multimedia and minor in Communication Studies, or just go for a Combined degree of the two. Also I'm not sure if either one is better or not (Major/Minor or Combined). If anyone has an opinion I would really appreciate the input. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011 at 08:32 PM   #2
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I don't know anything about multimedia or communication
but you can always go with one and change it to another later on if you change your mind. You only have to talk to an academic advisor and ask them to change it for you.

For example, right now I'm in a combined honours program for art and classics, but I find I don't really want to do classics anymore and might either change it to art history or minor in art history. I haven't officially changed it yet but all I've been doing is shadow the program and taking art history courses when I should have been taking Classics courses.

but I guess combined would be better in the sense that you're basically majoring in two different things

I hope that sort of helped? xP
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:45 PM   #3
mediajunkie4

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in 3rd year communications and as far as I know, you can't minor in either multimedia or communications. You can either major in one of them, or do a combined honours. Combined gives you both the theory of communications and the hands on experience of multimedia, so I think that its a pretty cool option.
Old 06-01-2011 at 11:32 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediajunkie4 View Post
I'm in 3rd year communications and as far as I know, you can't minor in either multimedia or communications. You can either major in one of them, or do a combined honours. Combined gives you both the theory of communications and the hands on experience of multimedia, so I think that its a pretty cool option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwS92 View Post
I'm debating on what to choose right now as my major, but I can not decide to either major in Multimedia and minor in Communication Studies, or just go for a Combined degree of the two. Also I'm not sure if either one is better or not (Major/Minor or Combined). If anyone has an opinion I would really appreciate the input. Thanks.

She's right, neither of those programs allows you a minor, but they do allow you a major or a double major.

And when you ask "what's better", really it all boils down to your post-undergrad plans. If your schooling ends after undergrad, then the decision can easily go either way, it will not effect you that much, if at all. However, if you intend on applying to grad school, double majors are more favorabley looked upon.
Old 06-02-2011 at 05:54 AM   #5
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Pretty sure that although technically you cant minor in some subjects I dont see why you cant take certain courses as electives and from what Ive seen on the undergraduate calender a minor ranges from 18-24 units.

Im pretty sure I also read somewhere that in 3rd year your allowed to take courses from any faculty even if they are from a limited program? Dont quote me on this, but I dont see why you couldnt minor in CMST or MM if you wanted to - talk to an academic advisor