MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is $200 worth the difference in these two processors? Sintos Gaming 12 08-17-2010 02:02 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03? mgallant Academics 6 07-20-2009 01:55 PM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

difference in cultures!

Old 11-02-2010 at 06:41 PM   #1
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

difference in cultures!
Canada is a multicultural country...
have you guys ever suffered(?) from a cultural difference?

For me the most shocking thing was to find how most white ppl wear their shoes inside their house.
Old 11-02-2010 at 06:45 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post
Canada is a multicultural country...
have you guys ever suffered(?) from a cultural difference?

For me the most shocking thing was to find how most white ppl wear their shoes inside their house.
Really? I don't think I've ever been into a house in Canada where we leave our shoes on. In the states it's apparently more common, but I thought it was an unspoken rule here to take your shoes off.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Maegs, sayok8737 like this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 06:56 PM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

1) The shoe thing freaked me out too. i went to Chicago, and we were at a dinner party, and I'm taking my heels off, and the lady's like "Oh no, it's okay, keep em on" and I'm thinking "...but you have plush carpet that will be...ruined..."

2) I was surprised at how lax some parents can be with their children. I knew kids back in the 8th grade who were spending nights wandering around downtown Toronto, and their parents were like "...true. just come back alive" WTF. Grade8? like really?

Other than that, no problem. Despite being an immigrant, I've never had an issue. hell, I've never even had an accent. I'm such a white kid at heart.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:05 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
2) I was surprised at how lax some parents can be with their children. I knew kids back in the 8th grade who were spending nights wandering around downtown Toronto, and their parents were like "...true. just come back alive" WTF. Grade8? like really?
My parents wouldn't let me walk five minutes away from the house and I thought they were like the most overprotective/paranoid parents *evar* >_>
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:06 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post
Yeah, this bugged the hell out of me when a friend just walked into my house with his shoes on once. I was too stunned at the blasphemy to bother saying anything since he was only over for a few minutes, but the next time it happened I told him that if I was Japanese he head wouldn't be attached anymore as my passive-aggressive way of telling him to take his damn shoes off.

Amaryll, JEFF_CHAN like this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:13 PM   #6
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

People wear shoes inside? 0_o I thought that was a states thing...

My parents drove me to and from my preschool all 6 years I went there despite the fact I was a 5 minute walk from there. Literally. All my friends walked. All my friends were also allowed to go to sleepovers and hang out. I think my parents didn`t want me getting influenced by North American families. They tend not to think of much of them... :(

Old 11-02-2010 at 07:36 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What the hell? You're highly mistaken. Wearing shoes inside is NOT a Canadian/white thing. Someone may say, "keep your shows on" if they're only going to be inside briefly and not on carpet, but anything else is NOT common.

Shoes off in the house. I don't know what type of Canadian home you were in. :p

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-02-2010 at 07:40 PM   #8
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Shoes always come off at my house.

I stayed at a family friend's house in California when I was younger, and they always wore their shoes in the house. It felt so weird, like I was never really home and always on the go. I didn't like it at all. Now, I even take my shoes off when I'm in a hotel room and leave them at the door.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:45 PM   #9
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

White people have no culture, they basically steal others and blend it together.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:47 PM   #10
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I have a friend whose family takes off their shoes when they walk in, put on a new pair and walk around. They have been doing a lot of construction recently, so I do it too, but even before, they would wear shoes inside. Blew my mind.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:53 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I have a friend whose family takes off their shoes when they walk in, put on a new pair and walk around. They have been doing a lot of construction recently, so I do it too, but even before, they would wear shoes inside. Blew my mind.
3/4 of my Asian roommates do this. They switch into sandals. Considering my disdain for sandals, I don't understand.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 11-02-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2010 at 07:54 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
White people have no culture, they basically steal others and blend it together.
Why does culture have to be defined as nonwhite? This annoys me when people do this.

I would argue the opposite. "White culture" was so dominant that it has become like the default.

Last edited by britb : 11-02-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:08 PM   #13
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
3/4 of my Asian roommates do this. They switch into sandals. Considering my disdain for sandals, I don't understand.
Perhaps the floors in the house aren't clean enough? Yeah I don't get it either.
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:13 PM   #14
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
Perhaps the floors in the house aren't clean enough? Yeah I don't get it either.

I think its a hygeine thing, like when people have slippers in their bathrooms.
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:17 PM   #15
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
That's definitely a concern, because we want to go on bed ABSOLUTELY clean.