MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is $200 worth the difference in these two processors? Sintos Gaming 12 08-17-2010 02:02 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03? mgallant Academics 6 07-20-2009 01:55 PM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

difference in cultures!

Old 11-02-2010 at 10:46 PM   #31
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

My motivations for learning languages are sinister. I have Tagalog for speaking with my mom so most people don't understand, French so my mom doesn't understand but my brother does, and I want to learn more languages so no one can talk about me in their native language.
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:46 PM   #32
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
i'm guessing your first thought was Square One

I thought of the skit where he was telling his dad that he would call Social Services. and his dad's like

"it takes them 20 minutes to get here. And in those 20 minutes, SOMEBODY GONNA GET A BEATING"
loll yep, that's the one I thought of xD somebody gonna get a hurt real bad
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:49 PM   #33
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
it's not a culture shock on my part, but a culture shock for someone else:

I was at the mall, and I ordered from Villa Madina (arab food). So basically it was like... a plate of rice, salad, kababs, etc. As part of our culture (north african/arab) we eat with our hands, so obviously eating this meal with a fork just didn't feel right :\ anyway I got fed up and just started eating with my hands and this asian woman who walked by looked so disgusted lolol
Bahaha totally know what you mean! And I love that place!!

The shoes in the house thing is... well I never thought about it.. But with guests, it's just kind of common courtesy to tell them 'you don't have to take off your shoes'.. which most people end up doing anyway. It's definitely not a cultural thing I would say.

anon491 likes this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:21 PM   #34
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
ffff I love their food. it actually fills you up unlike the same price you'd pay at fast food places >__<

I'm from Sudan (north) :3
edit: city? LOL i'm from hamilton xD
Quote:
i'm guessing your first thought was Square One
Lol no I meant country not city. And cool...yea I guessed somewhere in that region. That's really cool.

And yes...Villa Medina is awesome!!! Beats North American fast food any day. Really...Canadian food's so bland!
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:26 PM   #35
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

And as for the culture thing...I really get pissed when people call other people weird for practising their culture. For some people...culture is their life, in a metaphorical sense. It so strongly influences their everyday lives. Just because it's new to you doesn't mean it's weird. Who're you to judge weird and normal? Most of these traditions have been in existence for centuries!

/rant
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:39 PM   #36
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictu...reactions.html

Please never talk to me about culture again.

I was getting pissed off at the captions. Ethnocentric to the max.
There is so much behind the pictures that the photographer, as foreigner, will never understand.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 12:14 AM   #37
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

My parents swear all the time in Mandarin, yet when I say "shut up" or "stupid" they get all mad at me.
Old 11-03-2010 at 12:15 AM   #38
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
I was getting pissed off at the captions. Ethnocentric to the max.
There is so much behind the pictures that the photographer, as foreigner, will never understand.
Again it comes back down to: who the **** are you to judge what's weird and what's normal. You don't know crap.
Old 11-03-2010 at 12:40 AM   #39
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Again it comes back down to: who the **** are you to judge what's weird and what's normal. You don't know crap.
There's 'unique', 'abnormal according to western culture', etc.

Then there's swimming, bathing, drinking and every other conceivable human function among excrement, decaying corpses and the like.

Old 11-03-2010 at 06:38 AM   #40
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgn View Post
Canada is a multicultural country...
have you guys ever suffered(?) from a cultural difference?

For me the most shocking thing was to find how most white ppl wear their shoes inside their house.
Being White isn't an ethnicity - it's the lack of a large amount of melanin in the skin. It's the result of one's genes. It has absolutely nothing to do with culture. There's a fair bit of differences between Quebecois/French Canadians, Liverpool English, Swiss Germans, Parisian French, Neapolitan Italians, Southern Macedonians, Iberian Basques, and Muscovite Russians, yet they're all "White".

lawleypop says thanks to Shmowen for this post.

Old 11-03-2010 at 06:43 AM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I always wait for you to post. You're just so good at wording things. No sense in the rest of us even trying. ;D

If owning a cabane a sucre isn't culture, then I don't know what is...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Shmowen says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:13 AM   #42
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
My parents wouldn't let me walk five minutes away from the house and I thought they were like the most overprotective/paranoid parents *evar* >_>
My parents were paranoid when i get home like 5mins late. And they'd freak if I was out when it was dark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What the hell? You're highly mistaken. Wearing shoes inside is NOT a Canadian/white thing. Someone may say, "keep your shows on" if they're only going to be inside briefly and not on carpet, but anything else is NOT common.

Shoes off in the house. I don't know what type of Canadian home you were in. :p
Ive just always gotten use to wearing shoes in my house mainly cause my parents do it. And thats mainly cause everyone in England did it where they grew up. Just a habit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The only real culture shock I've been through is just seeing how some north american kids interact with adults/parents. I don't think I've ever sworn around my parents (let alone at them), I do not drink with/around them, and we've never really had a sex talk (they basically just assumed I started doing it in my late teens and reacted accordingly), and talking back still gets me in huge trouble. I find the fact that some kids here can do all that and more w/o any consequences mind boggling.
Ive never sworn in front of my parents. And talking back still gets me in trouble too... weird. But yea I've known people that would full out swear at their parents and things would just be normal the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I'm pretty sure the only reason I still know any language other than English is so my parents could threaten me in public without the judgmental looks from other parents
Lol same. That and to talk about other people without them knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
My parents swear all the time in Mandarin, yet when I say "shut up" or "stupid" they get all mad at me.
Lol. My parents will get mad at me for swearing in general. Like I remember...banging my toe into the corner of my bed and just yelled F***. Mom got mad at that.

Sigh. Ive just gotten use to all junk

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:49 AM   #43
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Being White isn't an ethnicity - it's the lack of a large amount of melanin in the skin. It's the result of one's genes. It has absolutely nothing to do with culture. There's a fair bit of differences between Quebecois/French Canadians, Liverpool English, Swiss Germans, Parisian French, Neapolitan Italians, Southern Macedonians, Iberian Basques, and Muscovite Russians, yet they're all "White".

bingo.

I love how people call us white people. Brown people look brown black people look black but white people are not white. Look at some printer paper that is white
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:52 AM   #44
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
bingo.

I love how people call us white people. Brown people look brown black people look black but white people are not white. Look at some printer paper that is white
I've met plenty of white people that actually look white O_O

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 11:55 AM   #45
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
bingo.

Everyone tends to be a shade of brown, brown people are the only ones who have a generalized racial name that's even somewhat accurate (No one asian looks like the people from the simpsons and black people do not look like Mr. Game and Watch).

anon491, Entropy like this.