MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is $200 worth the difference in these two processors? Sintos Gaming 12 08-17-2010 02:02 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03? mgallant Academics 6 07-20-2009 01:55 PM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

difference in cultures!

Old 11-03-2010 at 12:35 PM   #46
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Difference in cultures ?

Some cultures are homophobic, racist and/or have no respect for women and child's rights.

Don't be so happy about cultures, be happy you have your own.
Old 11-03-2010 at 03:39 PM   #47
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Lol no I meant country not city. And cool...yea I guessed somewhere in that region. That's really cool.

And yes...Villa Medina is awesome!!! Beats North American fast food any day. Really...Canadian food's so bland!

to this day I still don't know what "canadian food" is
...I mean, kraft dinner and poutine aside, what is canadian food?

also it also surprises me (and I'm kind of envious) that Canadian people can eat just about anything; case in point: I tried udon noodle soup from teriyaki express one day and just couldn't eat it :\ the unfamiliar smell, vegetables I'd never seen... it was just too far off my picky food spectrum. I know it's the same with most people from my culture as well, but yet I always see Canadian people able to eat food from any other culture with no problems o__O it's just been mindblowing for me for my whole life.
Old 11-03-2010 at 03:45 PM   #48
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Instant mash potatoes..
Beaver Tails..
Maple syrup?

Canada is mainly populated by immigrants so we don't really have much in the way of our own food. The first nations did a lot of hunting and farming but not a lot of fancy cooking so they don't really have much in the way of signature dishes. Canada is pretty bland when it comes to food, but on the other hand you can get food from just about any culture you want, which is a big plus in my books.

Maegs likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 03:50 PM   #49
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Instant mash potatoes..
Beaver Tails..
Maple syrup?

Canada is mainly populated by immigrants so we don't really have much in the way of our own food. The first nations did a lot of hunting and farming but not a lot of fancy cooking so they don't really have much in the way of signature dishes. Canada is pretty bland when it comes to food, but on the other hand you can get food from just about any culture you want, which is a big plus in my books.
when you said beaver tails, my first thought was "....you can eat.. a beaver's tail?" xD took some googlin'.

on the aspect of multicultural food availability, I really like what toronto did, having those multicultural food carts all over the city. I wish hamilton would do that. I'm sure there's a lot of people who want to try multicultural food but don't have the time to look up restaurants, etc. we could use some of those carts downtown. u__u used to have hot dog carts but not anymore...
Old 11-03-2010 at 04:19 PM   #50
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post

also it also surprises me (and I'm kind of envious) that Canadian people can eat just about anything; case in point: I tried udon noodle soup from teriyaki express one day and just couldn't eat it :\ the unfamiliar smell, vegetables I'd never seen... it was just too far off my picky food spectrum. I know it's the same with most people from my culture as well, but yet I always see Canadian people able to eat food from any other culture with no problems o__O it's just been mindblowing for me for my whole life.
I don't know why it's so hard for people to have an open mind. If you go in thinking about how different and abnormal something is, why would you ever end up liking it?

I offered to make a fondue for my roomates (JESUS CHRIST, I LOVE FONDUE)... they wouldn't go for either a cheese, oil, or chocolate fondue.

Not because he knows he doesn't like it, but because "asians don't eat cheese" (even though he says daily how white washed he is).

I just don't get it. Get over yourself. >_> (not to anyone in specific)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-03-2010 at 04:26 PM   #51
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I don't know why it's so hard for people to have an open mind. If you go in thinking about how different and abnormal something is, why would you ever end up liking it?

I offered to make a fondue for my roomates (JESUS CHRIST, I LOVE FONDUE)... they wouldn't go for either a cheese, oil, or chocolate fondue.

Not because he knows he doesn't like it, but because "asians don't eat cheese" (even though he says daily how white washed he is).

lol, I admit that "asians don't eat cheese", that's pretty prejudiced.

in my case I did try to eat it, I just couldn't u.u
same for sushi. no matter how many times I eat california rolls, it always feels like I'm forcing myself cause I just don't like sushi.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:39 PM   #52
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

I meant that any (read: most) fast-food in Canada, no matter what cuisine, has been 'Canadianized' (or 'unCanadianized' in other countries). The flavours have been really toned down to fit the Canadian taste. I've tasted quite a bit of fast-food outside of Canada and it tastes much more flavourful than the Canadian version. Even the seasonings we buy from the grocery have a less pungent taste. I don't know how they do it (fillers, drying process?)...but it's not as flavourful.

Most white Canadians, and most Canadians (meaning any ethnicity that has lived in Canada for a significant amount of time, and gotten accustomed to 'Canadian' cuisine) cannot handle high-flavoured foods. It's too overwhelming for them. It's even more pronounced when it comes to pepper content. And so the market has changed to suit.

And it's not just me. Many immigrants that I have spoken to (literally, over 30) have noticed this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:47 PM   #53
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

According to my parents, I can't date until I'm finished university.

But what if I don't finish university? :/

/Forever alone.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:55 PM   #54
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
I meant that any (read: most) fast-food in Canada, no matter what cuisine, has been 'Canadianized' (or 'unCanadianized' in other countries). The flavours have been really toned down to fit the Canadian taste. I've tasted quite a bit of fast-food outside of Canada and it tastes much more flavourful than the Canadian version. Even the seasonings we buy from the grocery have a less pungent taste. I don't know how they do it (fillers, drying process?)...but it's not as flavourful.

Most white Canadians, and most Canadians (meaning any ethnicity that has lived in Canada for a significant amount of time, and gotten accustomed to 'Canadian' cuisine) cannot handle high-flavoured foods. It's too overwhelming for them. It's even more pronounced when it comes to pepper content. And so the market has changed to suit.

And it's not just me. Many immigrants that I have spoken to (literally, over 30) have noticed this.
my parents often say that too, about food here lacking flavour, and that if you cook a meal to perfection here, it still tastes better back home just based on the ingredients. it does make sense though that food in other places has stronger flavour, because it's more authentic. in canada people have to make do with what's available, so whatever they make is not the truly original thing.
Old 11-03-2010 at 07:30 PM   #55
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
According to my parents, I can't date until I'm finished university.
Same
12cigar
Old 11-03-2010 at 07:49 PM   #56
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Same
12cigar
But I'm a rebel :o

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 07:50 PM   #57
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
But I'm a rebel :o
I just spent 2 minutes looking at your sig. It's hypnotizing.
Old 11-03-2010 at 07:51 PM   #58
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Lol, I know, eh?
I love it.
it's PRECIOUSS

Old 11-03-2010 at 07:51 PM   #59
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
I just spent two minutes looking at you.

:/
Old 11-03-2010 at 07:59 PM   #60
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
bingo.

I love how people call us white people. Brown people look brown black people look black but white people are not white. Look at some printer paper that is white
black ppl arent black...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

maybe he's lactose intolerant?.. i know that a significant percent of asians are