MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is $200 worth the difference in these two processors? Sintos Gaming 12 08-17-2010 02:02 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03? mgallant Academics 6 07-20-2009 01:55 PM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

difference in cultures!

Old 11-02-2010 at 08:33 PM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The only real culture shock I've been through is just seeing how some north american kids interact with adults/parents. I don't think I've ever sworn around my parents (let alone at them), I do not drink with/around them, and we've never really had a sex talk (they basically just assumed I started doing it in my late teens and reacted accordingly), and talking back still gets me in huge trouble. I find the fact that some kids here can do all that and more w/o any consequences mind boggling.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:48 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
Perhaps the floors in the house aren't clean enough? Yeah I don't get it either.
Some of them frequent MI, so I'm not gonna say anything.
But I clean my damn floors. hahah.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-02-2010 at 08:49 PM   #18
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I ny house we have separate sandals for the kitchen. All hell breaks loose if you`re caught in the kitchen not wearing them.

Old 11-02-2010 at 08:53 PM   #19
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The only real culture shock I've been through is just seeing how some north american kids interact with adults/parents. I don't think I've ever sworn around my parents (let alone at them), I do not drink with/around them, and we've never really had a sex talk (they basically just assumed I started doing it in my late teens and reacted accordingly), and talking back still gets me in huge trouble. I find the fact that some kids here can do all that and more w/o any consequences mind boggling.
i agree with the parent thing... dont swear at or in front of em... but i had a friend who would completely tell her mother off (in front of company) i wouldnt even dare try in private
Old 11-02-2010 at 08:56 PM   #20
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:

the parent thing was huge to me too.

I knew this one kid who left a note on his kitchen counter saying "Be back in three days", and then went off to his friends cottage in the middle of God-knows-where. Came back home three days later, nbd. Ignored his parents calls the whole time too

This one girl I know flat out called her mom a *****, to her face. I was so uncomfortable, standing there, not knowing what to do.

If that was a brown mother with a brown child (first of all, brown kids wouldnt even dare to do that, but if the case does happen), brown parents arent ashamed of calling their kids out in public LOL.

"what did you call me? Just wait till we get home, beta"
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:39 PM   #21
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

it's not a culture shock on my part, but a culture shock for someone else:

I was at the mall, and I ordered from Villa Madina (arab food). So basically it was like... a plate of rice, salad, kababs, etc. As part of our culture (north african/arab) we eat with our hands, so obviously eating this meal with a fork just didn't feel right :\ anyway I got fed up and just started eating with my hands and this asian woman who walked by looked so disgusted lolol

Afzal, camais, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:40 PM   #22
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post

lol, this reminds me of Russell Peters' skit "white people, beat your kids!"
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:43 PM   #23
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

A friend of mine was surprised when I told him I occasionally swore around my parents.

Not *at* my parents, no. It was just me telling my dad that I thought the iPad was shit.
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:56 PM   #24
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
it's not a culture shock on my part, but a culture shock for someone else:

I was at the mall, and I ordered from Villa Madina (arab food). So basically it was like... a plate of rice, salad, kababs, etc. As part of our culture (north african/arab) we eat with our hands, so obviously eating this meal with a fork just didn't feel right :\ anyway I got fed up and just started eating with my hands and this asian woman who walked by looked so disgusted lolol
Omg Villa Medina!!! <3

And where exactly are you from?
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:04 PM   #25
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
the parent thing was huge to me too.

I knew this one kid who left a note on his kitchen counter saying "Be back in three days", and then went off to his friends cottage in the middle of God-knows-where. Came back home three days later, nbd. Ignored his parents calls the whole time too

This one girl I know flat out called her mom a *****, to her face. I was so uncomfortable, standing there, not knowing what to do.

If that was a brown mother with a brown child (first of all, brown kids wouldnt even dare to do that, but if the case does happen), brown parents arent ashamed of calling their kids out in public LOL.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I still know any language other than English is so my parents could threaten me in public without the judgmental looks from other parents

Old 11-02-2010 at 10:06 PM   #26
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
White people have no culture, they basically steal others and blend it together.
Let me tell you something.

I cause trolls mountains of pain and suffering.

And that's the only response I'm going to dignify you with.
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:11 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the only reason I still know any language other than English is so my parents could threaten me in public without the judgmental looks from other parents
Hahaha. Yep.
My mom only speaks to me in French when she's pissed and yelling at me, or to talk smack about other people.

Quote:
Let me tell you something.

I cause trolls mountains of pain and suffering.

And that's the only response I'm going to dignify you with.

Troll automatically wins for you even replying to him.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-02-2010 at 10:40 PM   #28
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Omg Villa Medina!!! <3

ffff I love their food. it actually fills you up unlike the same price you'd pay at fast food places >__<

I'm from Sudan (north) :3
edit: city? LOL i'm from hamilton xD

Last edited by anon491 : 11-02-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:42 PM   #29
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Omg Villa Medina!!! <3

i'm guessing your first thought was Square One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
lol, this reminds me of Russell Peters' skit "white people, beat your kids!"

I thought of the skit where he was telling his dad that he would call Social Services. and his dad's like

"it takes them 20 minutes to get here. And in those 20 minutes, SOMEBODY GONNA GET A BEATING"
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:43 PM   #30
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictu...reactions.html

Please never talk to me about culture again.