MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is $200 worth the difference in these two processors? Sintos Gaming 12 08-17-2010 02:02 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM
What's the difference between PSYCH 2D03/2F03? mgallant Academics 6 07-20-2009 01:55 PM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

difference in cultures!

Old 11-03-2010 at 08:05 PM   #61
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
black ppl arent black...

maybe he's lactose intolerant?.. i know that a significant percent of asians are
3/4 of my azn roommates have said "azns don't eat cheese," and it's definitely said more like "we don't eat cheese because we're azn and it's our culture" and not "we don't each cheese b/c we're lactose intolerant."

idk, any azns can confirm?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-03-2010 at 09:54 PM   #62
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Instant mash potatoes..
Beaver Tails..
Maple syrup?
Don't forget nanaimo bars! So delicious!

I volunteered with a group of guys from Austria. They teased me the entire time about being Canadian and living in an igloo, etc. So one day they asked me what a traditional Canadian meal was, and I replied with beaver tails, moose burgers, and poutine. They weren't very impressed.
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:25 PM   #63
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Really? I don't think I've ever been into a house in Canada where we leave our shoes on. In the states it's apparently more common, but I thought it was an unspoken rule here to take your shoes off.
I went to Italy this summer, and when entering my mom's cousin's house, my entire fam immediately went to take off our shoes...and my Italian relatives thought we were insane. They couldn't understand why on earth we would take off our shoes when entering a house. What I gathered from that experience was, taking shoes off = Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
3/4 of my azn roommates have said "azns don't eat cheese," and it's definitely said more like "we don't eat cheese because we're azn and it's our culture" and not "we don't each cheese b/c we're lactose intolerant."

It could be both...like, because a significant proportion of Asians are lactose intolerant, it's less common in their culture.

I think the funniest culture shock I ever experienced was when I tried to order a double-double coffee in NYC. The lady was like "...what?" She had no idea what I was talking about...and then my sister informed me that double-double is a Canadian term. I actually had no idea :S
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:29 PM   #64
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:

I'm Asian and I LOOOOOVE cheese. AND fondue. I can't believe they would turn down fondue. Actually, I can't comprehend anyone turning down fondue. I think your roommates are just weird

Also, Pizza Hut is everywhere in Asia... if Asians really hate cheese, I don't think they would do so well haha.

Last edited by drhorrible : 11-03-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:32 PM   #65
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhorrible View Post
I'm Asian and I LOOOOOVE cheese. AND fondue. I can't believe they would turn down fondue. Actually, I can't comprehend anyone turning down fondue. I think your roommates are just weird

Also, pizza hut is everywhere in Asia... if Asians really hate cheese, I don't think they would do so well haha.
I'm so confused.
The idea of someone turning down fondue (turning down all 3 kinds, no less) is actually mind-boggling.

What the hell is this world coming to. :(

drhorrible likes this.
Old 11-03-2010 at 10:38 PM   #66
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
I'm so confused.
The idea of someone turning down fondue (turning down all 3 kinds, no less) is actually mind-boggling.

What the hell is this world coming to. :(

I know, I'm trying to block that out of my mind. People not liking fondue = mind blown
What is there to NOT like about it? It's stuff dipped in cheese! Or chocolate! Damnit, now I'm hungry...
Old 11-04-2010 at 01:40 AM   #67
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Asians eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :/

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-04-2010 at 01:48 AM   #68
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Again it comes back down to: who the **** are you to judge what's weird and what's normal. You don't know crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
There's 'unique', 'abnormal according to western culture', etc.

Then there's swimming, bathing, drinking and every other conceivable human function among excrement, decaying corpses and the like.

I was actually referring to the abject poverty, the state of the Ganges (corpses aside), and the type of people using them. It was more of a statement on social quality, not culture. I won't lie, I was shocked that they DRANK that water, but I've been to areas like that before (hell, there are so many similar ones in my own country), and a lot of those people don't have a choice.

Leaving corpses around, however, is a different story.
Old 11-04-2010 at 02:41 AM   #69
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I was actually referring to the abject poverty, the state of the Ganges (corpses aside), and the type of people using them. It was more of a statement on social quality, not culture. I won't lie, I was shocked that they DRANK that water, but I've been to areas like that before (hell, there are so many similar ones in my own country), and a lot of those people don't have a choice.

Hey! I want to know if ur in any of classes. D:

I have anthro1z03, psych1x03, math1f03, and econ1bb3 this sem.
Old 11-04-2010 at 05:39 AM   #70
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:

With some exceptions, I don't like cheese. I like it on pizza and lasagna, but I can't stand it anywhere else. It's also likely it's a psychological thing. If you tell me something has cheese in it even when there isn't, I'll be able to pick up the taste. >.>

The rest of my family likes it though, so I dunno.

I'm also not lactose-intolerant. Wtf else would I eat my cereal with?

p.s. chocolate fondue is <3
Old 11-04-2010 at 07:27 AM   #71
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
The Ganges is a sacred river, held in high spiritual esteem by many Hindu faithful. It is a mark of the highest honor for one's earthly remains to be set adrift in the Ganges after one's soul is done with the body.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:53 AM   #72
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Our food may be blander but our beer is better (and stronger! )

lawleypop likes this.
Old 11-04-2010 at 10:34 AM   #73
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Our food may be blander but our beer is better (and stronger! )
There are some pretty nice microbreweries around here

I can hardly wait until I have some time to enjoy a couple nice beers again
Old 11-04-2010 at 01:06 PM   #74
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
The Ganges is a sacred river, held in high spiritual esteem by many Hindu faithful. It is a mark of the highest honor for one's earthly remains to be set adrift in the Ganges after one's soul is done with the body.
Seems pretty counter-intuitive.
"Here is this lovely and sacred river, let's throw rotting corpses in there."

[doesn't mean I don't understand their logic, fyi]

Last edited by lawleypop : 11-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2010 at 01:12 PM   #75
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
With some exceptions, I don't like cheese. I like it on pizza and lasagna, but I can't stand it anywhere else. It's also likely it's a psychological thing. If you tell me something has cheese in it even when there isn't, I'll be able to pick up the taste. >.>

The rest of my family likes it though, so I dunno.

I'm also not lactose-intolerant. Wtf else would I eat my cereal with?

p.s. chocolate fondue is <3
Soy milk. Duh.

And yeah chocolate fondue is good.