MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Programs at Mac manu General Discussion 8 06-28-2009 09:12 PM
second year programs mcmaster0812 Academics 45 06-03-2009 01:21 PM
Switching Programs OceanSpray First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-21-2009 08:41 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM

How difficult is it to transfer programs?

Old 05-30-2010 at 02:31 PM   #1
rexelle

Liked: 4 Times

How difficult is it to transfer programs?
I got into Honours Bio Core and i was wondering whether it was difficult to transfer into another program (i was thinking biopsych or molecular biology and genetics) if i were to do bio core for second year.

I was also wondering if its better to specialize in something if youre planning on doing a masters after undergrad. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:40 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexelle View Post
I got into Honours Bio Core and i was wondering whether it was difficult to transfer into another program (i was thinking biopsych or molecular biology and genetics) if i were to do bio core for second year.

I was also wondering if its better to specialize in something if youre planning on doing a masters after undergrad. What do you guys think?

Most of the specialization courses are capped, so getting in could be quite challenging. However, the best person to answer this question (they can give you actual knowledge, rather than assumed knowledge) is an academic adviser.

Masters programs are pretty much useless, FYI. Canada graduates way to many PhD students for the amount of tenured or tenure-track positions available each year. So...they don't help you get a job.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2010 at 02:42 PM   #3
Karlee H.

Quote:

What was your average to get into honours biology? I didn't get in with a CA of 7.4
Old 05-30-2010
mhope
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:50 PM   #4
rexelle

i had a CA of 8.3

about the masters though, could i do one if i just do bio core as an undergrad? or do i have to have a more specialized area of study?
Old 05-30-2010 at 03:00 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
i had a CA of 8.3

about the masters though, could i do one if i just do bio core as an undergrad? or do i have to have a more specialized area of study?
When you apply to a Masters it is in a specific research area within a department. So, you would need to demonstrate previous knowledge of a topic area before you could be accepted.

Bio core will be fine. You will have knowledge in a variety of sub-disciplines within Bio based on the course list. I'd assume you'd need to do a thesis though, in order to have your application be deemed competitive. BUT. These are questions for profs or academic advisors, since they are more in-tune with how acceptances are awarded than students.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2010 at 03:14 PM   #6
rakhrans

I was in molecular biology and genetics this past year and most of my courses were identical to my housemates in biology core. However, there are a few more required courses such as Bio 2EE3 (Microbiology). I dont think it would be too difficult for you to transfer into the specialization if it is really what you want to do. In terms of graduate school from what I have heard you require some previous knowledge as was said. i really think being in bio is sufficient because you have so much more room for electives so you can truly see what you like and then perhaps do a masters in something like that.
Old 05-30-2010 at 06:48 PM   #7
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
i had a CA of 8.3

The quick and easy answer is yes, it's been done before.