MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When are we accepted to level 2 programs? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-13-2010 02:44 PM
Bio/life sci programs in level II mtristani Academics 12 03-10-2010 10:15 PM
Programs at Mac manu General Discussion 8 06-28-2009 09:12 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM
Looking for that borchure type page with all level 2 life sci programs aviaf Academics 5 10-12-2008 12:37 PM

Level II Programs?

Old 03-29-2009 at 03:13 AM   #1
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Level II Programs?
Hey guys I have a question:
I will be applying for Level II Sciences programs soon. The thing is I'm not too sure of whether I'll get accepted to the Honor's program I want to go into. I was thinking about applying for a regular B.Sc three year program. But some people told me that I will not be able to apply to graduate or professional school. Do you think it would be better for me to not major in second year, and "mirror" the Level II courses? or go into the 3 year B.Sc program and "mirror" them? Would I have to repeat certain first year courses just to meet the first year requirements for that Honor's program (If I apply after my third year)?
Thanks
Old 03-29-2009 at 09:38 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Apply for both. You can always try and get into the honours at the end of your second year.

In some instances you can be accepted into grad or professional school with a three year degree, but to do so is very very rare.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-29-2009 at 10:04 AM   #3
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

What program are you applying to because most programs that I am aware of in science have *almost* identical course lists between the Hons.B.Sc and the B.Sc versions

Like previously stated, apply for both. If you don't get into honours, accept the B.Sc and try again next year. You may only have to take one or two additional courses which can easily be done over the summer
Old 03-29-2009 at 02:34 PM   #4
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

You don't have to apply to a 3 year BSc program since if you don't qualify for an honours program, they will automatically offer you the 3 year life sci program.

There are no big differences between hon. and non-hon. there are some courses you can't take like Orgo 1&2, Genetics, etc. so you might have to do summer school after transferring at the end of 2nd year.
Old 03-29-2009 at 10:23 PM   #5
blahishness

Liked: 0 Times

hi i was wondering, let's say you don't get into the honours life sci program and like you said they default you to the 3yr bsc. would it be possible in third year or midway of 2nd year to get into the honours life sci since grad school would prefer the honours degree or once you're in a program are you stuck there for goood? thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2009 at 10:56 PM   #6
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

You can transfer to a hon. program at the end of 2nd year or end of 3rd year. You can't transfer midway of 2nd/3rd year since they need to see your average for the whole year and they simply do all the program admissions once the first year do theirs.

Although if you are already in an hon. program and want to transfer to another one and still make the cut off, it is a lot easier. You can almost transfer at anytime you want, even before graduating, as long as you have the new program pre-reqs