MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When are we accepted to level 2 programs? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-13-2010 02:44 PM
life sci. I programs lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 05-01-2010 10:04 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM
Looking for that borchure type page with all level 2 life sci programs aviaf Academics 5 10-12-2008 12:37 PM

Bio/life sci programs in level II

Old 03-05-2010 at 11:54 AM   #1
mtristani

Liked: 0 Times

Bio/life sci programs in level II
I'm interested in applying for honours molecular bio and genetics, honours life sci, and honours bio. Does any know info/is in the program and can help me out? I'm wondering about grade cut offs and limited acceptance. also, what the pros/cons of each are. I'm mostly interested in honours bio or molecular bio and genetics but I heard getting into molecular bio is very hard. Can we get into honours bio with a 6.0? or does it have to be higher?
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:10 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

if you have atleast a 8, you can get into any program. But in the program that I am in, chem bio and for some biochem programs, you need around a 10+
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:27 PM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I just want to make a note that although projected cutoffs may be high (e.g. you said 10+ for certain programs), this could change depending on how many people actually apply to the program.

That being said, I think you should just apply for all the programs that you would like to be in and just aim high for your marks. Even if you end up with a lower mark, you never know; you might still get into a program you thought would have a high cutoff.
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:35 PM   #4
mtristani

yeah it seems to me like it varies alot, i've heard of some people getting into molecular bio with a 6.9 and others i've talked to told me as long as i have the required 6.0 for honours bio i should be fine, i just hope it works out!
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:30 PM   #5
manu
jack

I know it is none of my business, but if you are looking/aiming for the min. avg. of 6, then I think you should reconsider your second year program/faculty choices....
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:59 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I know it is none of my business, but if you are looking/aiming for the min. avg. of 6, then I think you should reconsider your second year program/faculty choices....
that is not true...

my first year was brutal...and 2nd year my average went up by 2x, and my 3rd year marks consistently remain high...(and yes i am in science)

IMO first year is NOT a true indication of your potential.
Old 03-05-2010 at 03:01 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

in first year they are really trying to separate the true high acheivers from the not so high achievers but if you stick through this...(atleast this is what i've found), 2nd and 3rd year are not like that..
Old 03-05-2010 at 03:22 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Thats honestly one of the dumbest things ive ever read. Im not even going to say anymore, ill just leave it at that.
Old 03-05-2010 at 03:35 PM   #9
manu
jack

i think what I said came off incorrectly. What I mean is that you can't continue to get "by" in university...Dependin g on your program, if you are getting 6's in first year and want to get into biochem, chembio and some of the other intensive programs, it will not be easy....You will struggle in those programs and should consider another choice such as life science.
Old 03-05-2010 at 03:54 PM   #10
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

for biochem you need an 8.2 or more. Chembio its over 10, maybe higher.
Honors bio you should be okay with a 6, You'll definitely get into life sci, and i'm not too sure about mol bio. I'd suggest that, worst case scenario, you go into life science, but take bio courses that are required for the biology major, improve your marks, and request to switch in to honors bio at the end of your second year. It's not hard to switch, you just make a request in the science office in BSB.
Hope that helps
And yeah, first year definitely doesn't show your full potential. It's a huge transition. Usually by second semester of 2nd year you know what you're doing. Don't stress, and keep your dreams in sight, even if you have to take another path to get there.

Rakim, mtristani all say thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 03-05-2010 at 05:02 PM   #11
mtristani

hey thanks that helps alot! yeah first year has been a very big change, and no im not even interested in taking chem bio or bio chem, just the ones ive named... i agree completely, most of the ppl i know in my program are not doing anywhere close to how good they really are. its definetly a different experience for sure, thanks for the help !
Old 03-05-2010 at 05:06 PM   #12
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

yeah.. biochem sucks lol, imo. and np! msg me if u have any other questions
Old 03-10-2010 at 10:15 PM   #13
Dawoodc

All the ones you listed are easy to get into. In fact, you can get into any Sci Level 2 program with a 6. I know it says you need min. 6, but if you have a 6, you're into w/e you want. Including Biochem + Chem Bio + whatever else you think is hard.

Honors Bio (aka Core) is the easiest and I recommend it. You will have a lot of electives. This is good.

You can copy the courses of specialization students (like Mol. Genetics in your case) if you want.

But what most people fail to realize is that when you go into 3rd/4th year, as a Specialization student, you have to take A LOT of required courses. I mean, a lot. A lot of these are hard too. And then when you find out you need a couple prereqs or even if you try to fit in bird courses, you realize you can't, because all your required courses overlap.

So yeah, take specialization if you really want that 'title' to appear on your degree, but have a tough 3rd/4th year. Take a core, like Honors Bio, and enjoy it + feel free to take whatever you want.

Even thesis are overflowing for core students.