MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Programs Accepted resh.jyoti Academics 4 06-01-2010 04:30 PM
Bio/life sci programs in level II mtristani Academics 12 03-10-2010 10:15 PM
Level II Programs? Mr.Prodigy Academics 5 03-29-2009 10:56 PM
Level II Programs James Academics 2 02-26-2009 03:03 PM
Looking for that borchure type page with all level 2 life sci programs aviaf Academics 5 10-12-2008 12:37 PM

When are we accepted to level 2 programs?

Old 05-09-2010 at 10:54 AM   #1
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

When are we accepted to level 2 programs?
Around what time are we accepted and where / how do we find out? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010 at 11:03 AM   #2
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

When-->End of may(Don't know the exact date)
Where-->Under grade reports on mugsi
Old 05-09-2010 at 11:23 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
When-->End of may(Don't know the exact date)
It'll be when the grades are finalized, so on the 31st.
Old 05-09-2010 at 12:15 PM   #4
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

I am going to take a summer course (PSYCH 1XX3) for my primary program of choice (honours life science) which is 2nd semester of the summer. Will they still let me in the program? Can they see that I am taking the summer school course?
Old 05-09-2010 at 12:21 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
I am going to take a summer course (PSYCH 1XX3) for my primary program of choice (honours life science) which is 2nd semester of the summer. Will they still let me in the program? Can they see that I am taking the summer school course?
You should go talk to an academic counsellor about that. You won't get accepted to the program before you finish the course, but by the time you finish the course there may not be a spot left open (possible but not probable). You should ask if it's possible to get a conditional acceptance.

siefer1322 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-09-2010 at 01:15 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Conditional acceptances are offered, conditional on you finishing the required course. I'm in Business and was locked out of Bio 1A03 for the school year. However, three of my choices require Bio as a prerequisite, and when I have every other prerequisite, they wouldn't revoke an offer especially as they do have access to your course lists if they wish.

I believe only enough offers are made as there are spots. Unless the same person who was responsible for releasing grades this year is behind offers </joke>. I believe you can accept their conditional offer as well when it's offered. It's probably the same system as with high school offers.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-10-2010 at 11:20 AM   #7
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

I called them this morning and they basically told me after I complete the course and my grade is posted for the course, I have to go down to the Science office and they will allow me into the program. For the program of Honours life science, there is no limited space so that should not be a problem. Well okay, hopefully it all works out... Now I am wondering, when do the 2nd years pick there courses? I ask this because since my course will end around August 5th and that is when apparantly they will allow me to enter the program, will I have enough pick my courses?
Old 05-10-2010 at 01:12 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
I called them this morning and they basically told me after I complete the course and my grade is posted for the course, I have to go down to the Science office and they will allow me into the program. For the program of Honours life science, there is no limited space so that should not be a problem. Well okay, hopefully it all works out... Now I am wondering, when do the 2nd years pick there courses? I ask this because since my course will end around August 5th and that is when apparantly they will allow me to enter the program, will I have enough pick my courses?
You pick your courses on the 14th of June. Definitively put that in your calendar. What you'll want to do is pick a random program and pick all your courses for Honours Life Science. Then when you pass the course just go down to the office to switch programs. Do your research NOW, make sure you can take all the courses you need. If there are any program requirements you do not fulfill, send an e-mail to the department, explain your situation and kindly ask for a waiver. I don't think there will be any program requirements, if there is a level requirement you'll be fine.

siefer1322 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-13-2010 at 02:24 PM   #9
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

thanks!
i just have a few other questions....

1) i had to defer one of my exams due to personal reasons, how will this affect the the acceptance of 2nd year programs?

2) so we pick courses on june 14 through SOLAR right? it's like the same 1yr process right? you just pick your courses on june 14 but later on, they give you a timetable and you can arrange things aroud... when will that be?

3) when do we apply for osap (for 2nd year)?

4) when do payment agreement stuff come out? (also are there bursaries, and scholarships?)

Thank yo
Old 05-13-2010 at 02:37 PM   #10
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
thanks!

1) i had to defer one of my exams due to personal reasons, how will this affect the the acceptance of 2nd year programs?

2) so we pick courses on june 14 through SOLAR right? it's like the same 1yr process right? you just pick your courses on june 14 but later on, they give you a timetable and you can arrange things aroud... when will that be?

4) when do payment agreement stuff come out? (also are there bursaries, and scholarships?)

Thank yo
1) your acceptance into your program is conditional on you writing/passing your exam if its a required course. Once they get the grade from your course, your acceptance is confirmed.

2) Not sure of the date, but yes, same process. I believe after you pick your courses, there's a period for which SOLAR is closed but then you can go back on and make changes later in august when the final timetable is released.

3) OSAP applications come out mid june, I believe but there's a pretty big window of time for you to complete it.

4) You do your payment agreement when you select your courses, and update it later on if you make any changes. There are bursaries and scholarships, but I've only ever gotten notification of them in January, not after my grades come out in May (unless its the renewal of your Entrace Scholarship, in which case you know you got it if your CA is above a 9.5).
Old 05-13-2010 at 02:42 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
thanks!

Thank yo
If the course is a requirement for the program then I don't think you will be granted admission. You will have to complete the exam and then go to the science office to get transfered into the program you want. In the meantime you can take the courses that you were going to take in that program. If there are any requirements you don't meet then e-mail the department and ask for a waiver explaining your situation.

Some courses will allow you to pick your sections, but most of them won't. You will be able to rearrange later on as usual.

OSAP usually comes out in late may. You can apply whenever, the school deadline in order to have OSAP as a payment option is sometime in July. The QEII scholarship deadline for OSAP is a month before in mid-June.

The payment agreement is done when you pick your courses. Most scholarships are non-application, if you receive one you'll see it in MUGSI in the scholarships section. The McMaster bursary application is sometime in September or October and usually goes until December for applications.
Old 05-13-2010 at 02:44 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
2) Not sure of the date, but yes, same process. I believe after you pick your courses, there's a period for which SOLAR is closed but then you can go back on and make changes later in august when the final timetable is released.
I believe that SOLAR is only open for the day your section is choosing courses. So it opens at midnight and closes at the end of the day close to midnight. It then reopens later on. There's a thread about important dates and deadlines on MacInsiders.