MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Semester Difficulty GrapeSalad Academics 10 01-05-2013 03:22 PM
Difficulty of changing Term 2 Physics 1B03 Lab & Core? Auror.lah Academics 6 08-15-2011 04:23 PM
difficulty with TA soltintal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 11-03-2010 06:30 PM
Are you Having Difficulty with Accounting 2AA3? healthsci1 General Discussion 2 10-25-2010 09:01 AM
Stats 1L03 - Difficulty Jake General Discussion 3 09-13-2009 12:21 AM

Difficulty of changing majors? What should I do?

Old 03-05-2014 at 11:16 AM   #1
RedRanger

Liked: 0 Times

Difficulty of changing majors? What should I do?
Hey

I applied to Mac in Jan, got a call a few days ago from a lady telling me that If I want to get in the program I want (accounting) then I need to send a enrollment confirmation for my last required class that I'm currently in the process of doing (calculus).

So its going to take me about a week to send in this enrollment confirmation and by that time the business/accounting program slots might be filled.

If it comes to that I can only see two options:

a) wait another year and apply next jan

b) accept the offer for the second program choice I made (humanities) and transfer to accounting in the second year

I've been told by people who've went to Mac that switching majors is an option at the end of the first year since everyone has a similar first year. I even read a post on this site that claimed that the person switched 3 times in one year.

However, when I asked the lady (who called me about getting into the accounting/business program) she said that it is very hard to switch.

I really have no interest in pursuing a 4 year degree in humanities so if I couldn't switch at the end of the first year it would just be a waste of tuition and I'd have to drop out.

What should I do?

How often does someone get denied when applying to transfer majors?

Last edited by RedRanger : 03-05-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2014 at 02:23 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

McMaster, like most universities is sort of a collection of different schools. The science, engineering, business, humanities faculties all have different administrations and different policies. While there are procedures for transferring between faculties they are not guarentted to remain static.

I highly suggest you call or email the administrative undergrad office in the degroote school of business asap:
http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/contact/

Highlight your intentions and basically any information you can give.
Old 03-05-2014 at 05:29 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Also, there's no generic rules for "transferring programs". For example, it's very easy to transfer into poli sci from history, but very hard to go from life sci to health sci. It depends what program you're coming from (because that influences whether or not you can get the prereqs), but mostly it depends on the program you're transferring TO. Some programs take a very limited number of transfers so it's really competitive. Often in these cases, you're never "guaranteed" transfer. It depends on the competition, even if you meet all of the minimum requirements.
I get the sense that business falls into the latter category of being more competitive to transfer into, but I haven't actually done the research so I don't know for sure.