MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slutwalk Toronto on Sunday April 3rd! amyf Politics 96 04-02-2011 03:31 PM
Another TA-related question Mowicz General Discussion 4 11-14-2009 01:54 PM
How is the TA strike related to HSR and GO Transit? jujumiste General Discussion 11 11-05-2009 11:28 AM
CA related question fasailuddin Academics 3 05-07-2009 12:18 PM

Discussing the Slutwalk and related issues

Old 06-10-2011 at 01:38 AM   #1
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Discussing the Slutwalk and related issues
I noticed I was part of drifting the Rainbow ban in Catholic School thread to a slutwalk debate with another member so I started this new thread.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...43527& page=4

Last edited by julianface : 06-10-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: forgot to link to original thread
Old 06-10-2011 at 01:51 AM   #2
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

The member you were discussing with is a troller. She never engages in MI chat or other topics. She waits for the opportunity to troll to a member in this forum. I'm not claiming everything she says is wrong, but her goal is to troll.

I won't be surprised if she throws other insults like "hypocrite". She uses that word a lot but I doubt she knows what it means.

According to KN1991, if you believe in 1 conspiracy theory, you also believe in 2012 doomsday.

EDIT: I am posting this to make sure she doesn't do it and get an infraction. And hopefully you won't follow her and do the same.

Last edited by Icecream : 06-10-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:09 AM   #3
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Damn, did I just get called a troll by Icecream? That's rich.

Edit: Oh the other post is closed. Here's my post, I'm not continuing on with this, if you can't recognize that your (mostly the others though) arguments stem from sexism - whether purposely or not, than cool, keep doing what you do, but recognize that the things you say are harmful for women in the work place, the home, and every day life.

"I just think that that is the lamest and most useless purpose ever. Run a carwash or hold a bake sale and educate a girl or save an abused wife in Iraq or something useful and empowering."

So you decide what is and what is not a useful purpose? Run a carwash or a bake sale? Really? These doctors and lawyers and grown women participating would like to gain awareness - they're not 12 year old girls trying to raise money to go to camp.

"
I am not a hypocrite because I am not slutty or dress provocatively, therefore I am not a hypocrite."

You're a hypocrite because prior to saying you hate provocative dressing, you said calling Catholic girls sluts wasn't right... and then went on to say that you hate slutiness.

"
I do not classify showing ankles or shoulders slutty,"

Uh, that was sarcasm.... didn't think I needed to point that out.

"
I disagree with the whole women's fashion industry that promotes deep cut shirts, tight pants and short shorts and skirts"

Wow, K.

"Its biology that people are attracted to the opposite sex"

Not true. Ever heard of the LGBT community?

"
so if one does not wish to draw sexual attention then they should not try and provoke that."

Right, because human beings aren't capable of controlling their sexual urges. Therefore, women should also cover their faces as to not provoke a man from raping her because he might like the fact that she's... a woman.

"show me that has happened? "

Yep, thousands of cases. Sorry this one is a blog, but I really don't want to waste any more time speaking with you. http://timesfool.blogspot.co m/2011...-own-gang.html - it quotes the original NY Times article I read. There are dozens and dozens more in just the last 6 months, do a google search yourself (even parents of the rapists and residents have said to the media "where were the girls parents" "she shouldn't have run around dressed like that" - seriously! Where were the RAPISTS parents. jeesh)

"
Last time I checked rapists went to jail"

Do you follow the news? You're probably not aware of this issue because you're male, but a lot of men get out of jail. Reason? For some messed up reason society has this great idea that all women would want to make up rape - because sitting in front of their rapist on trial and being humiliated is something that any woman would want to do, amiright? /sarcasm. And because of this problem, women are afraid of going to the police because they're worried that they won't be believed.

Another issue that was just recently followed was the two NYC police cops that were charged with rape. It's a really long story - basically a drunk girl needed help getting into her apartment, one stood watch while another was seen on video tape re entering three times, admitted to seranading her with a song and caressing her body - (after multiple lies and even trying to cover up the fact that he was ever there). She said he raped her, there was proof that she was raped (bruised cervix), jurors agreed she was raped, but they said there wasn't enough "evidence" - AKA the CSI effect, jurors these days think there needs to be DNA evidence to convict someone yatta yatta long story. They did not get charged with raped (and their defense team said that her "bruised cervix" must have been from scrubbing too hard in her shower, I know I don't need to show you a diagram, but that's physically impossible and extremely demeaning to the woman that was raped).

Also, if you're following the Strauss Kahn case - his defense is trying to prove that the maid was not dragged across the hotel, thrown on the ground, and forced to perform oral on the former IMF head - that when she escaped and told her superiors she did it for money and it was consensual!

"
. RAPISTS GO TO JAIL, WHY ARE YOU STILL PROTESTING"

First, because it's not true. Obviously you don't know anything about the issue at hand so stop running around like because you "believe it" it must be true. Second, the protesting is also for the fact that woman are being shamed in court by judges, lawyers, juries, and the public for "provoking" their rapists. It's sexist, it's wrong, and it needs to change.

Here are some statistics for you:

60% of rapes/sexual assaults are not reported to the police, according to a statistical average of the past 5 years. Those rapists, of course, never spend a day in prison. Factoring in unreported rapes, only about 6% of rapists ever serve a day in jail.

From: Bureau of Justice Statistics. Rape and Sexual Assault: Reporting to Police and Medical Attention. 1992-2000.

Not factoring in unreported rapes, it's what... 13%? BUT noooo! All rapists go to jail!!

Last edited by KN1991 : 06-10-2011 at 08:08 AM.

marcie, shes-a-diva* all say thanks to KN1991 for this post.

Old 06-10-2011 at 11:55 AM   #4
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

This is a charged issue, so I'm going to try and tread lightly.

I feel bad for the police officer who has been crucified over his remarks. I honestly don't think he was trying to blame rape victims for their rapes, he was just trying to be as helpful as possible. When someone says "don't walk alone at night", they aren't implying that the people who do walk alone are somehow inviting crimes upon themselves.

In the same way, it's logical that the unbalanced sort of person who would commit a rape could perhaps be triggered by the image of a provocatively dressed woman. Now, even if all the psychologists get together and agree that that is completely false, the police officer was only offering it up as what he thought was a logical way for women to protect themselves. I personally don't think the extra inferences that people have made were his intention, and I don't think he should be portrayed as such a villain.

britb, crazyfree like this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 12:08 PM   #5
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

"I feel bad for the police officer who has been crucified over his remarks."

I just posted that only %6 of rapists go to jail. I just cited an 11 year old girl that was gang raped by adults and blamed by her neighbours/the rapists/the rapists families for being raped. I just cited a case about two officers that while on duty took advantage of a drunken woman and weren't held responsible for it while demeaning the woman by suggesting she bruised her cervix by "scrubbing too hard", and you feel bad for the trained police officer that was speaking at an event about rape that suggested women shouldn't dress "slutty". The same police officer that an individual would go to, to report an act of rape, that truthfully believes the way a woman dresses in some way condones her being raped.

Yes, the poor police officer that wasn't punished in any way by his superiors, despite speaking inappropriately, is who we should all feel bad for. Not the women being labeled sluts every day for wearing a skirt, or the women being raped, or the women who have to watch their rapist get off scotch free. Let's just badger the women that are trying to change the views that individuals like yourself have, that makes a lot of sense.

marcie says thanks to KN1991 for this post.

Lois, marcie, shes-a-diva* like this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 12:13 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

This topic has been discussed in other threads. Thread closed.

Toast says thanks to Chad for this post.