MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
Hamilton to Toronto on a Sunday? Flag General Discussion 19 11-19-2009 11:03 PM
Easter Sunday Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2008 05:56 PM

Slutwalk Toronto on Sunday April 3rd!

Old 03-30-2011 at 06:28 PM   #1
amyf

Liked: 27 Times

Slutwalk Toronto on Sunday April 3rd!

Anyone thinking about going?

It's Sunday, speeches at 1:30, walk starting at 2:00. The starting location is Queen’s Park SOUTH, just south of the Legislative Building, walking heading to Toronto Police Headquarters at 40 College Street.

For more information, check out:
The website
The Facebook page

"On January 24th, 2011, a representative of the Toronto Police gave shocking insight into the Force’s view of sexual assault by stating: “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”.
As the city’s major protective service, the Toronto Police have perpetuated the myth and stereotype of ‘the slut’, and in doing so have failed us. With sexual assault already a significantly under-reported crime, survivors have now been given even less of a reason to go to the Police, for fear that they could be blamed. Being assaulted isn’t about what you wear; it’s not even about sex; but using a pejorative term to rationalize inexcusable behaviour creates an environment in which it’s okay to blame the victim.
Historically, the term ‘slut’ has carried a predominantly negative connotation. Aimed at those who are sexually promiscuous, be it for work or pleasure, it has primarily been women who have suffered under the burden of this label. And whether dished out as a serious indictment of one’s character or merely as a flippant insult, the intent behind the word is always to wound, so we’re taking it back. “Slut” is being re-appropriated.
We are tired of being oppressed by slut-shaming; of being judged by our sexuality and feeling unsafe as a result. Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in sex for pleasure or work. No one should equate enjoying sex with attracting sexual assault.
We are a movement demanding that our voices be heard. We are here to call foul on our Police Force and demand change. We want Toronto Police Services to take serious steps to regain our trust. We want to feel that we will be respected and protected should we ever need them, but more importantly be certain that those charged with our safety have a true understanding of what it is to be a survivor of sexual assault — slut or otherwise.
We are tired of speeches filled with lip service and the apologies that accompany them. What we want is meaningful dialogue and we are doing something about it: WE ARE COMING TOGETHER. As people from all gender expressions and orientations, all walks of life, levels of employment and education, all races, ages, abilities, and backgrounds, from all points of this city and elsewhere.
We are asking you to join us for SlutWalk, to make a unified statement about sexual assault and victims’ rights and to demand respect for all. Whether a fellow slut or simply an ally, you don’t have to wear your sexual proclivities on your sleeve, we just ask that you come. Any gender-identification, any age. Singles, couples, parents, sisters, brothers, children, friends. Come walk or roll or strut or holler or stomp with us.
Join us in our mission to spread the word that those those who experience sexual assault are not the ones at fault, without exception."

RyanC says thanks to amyf for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 06:35 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Is this for real?
LOL.

Coppers have a point though.
Old 03-30-2011 at 06:39 PM   #3
Furgazi

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Is this for real?
LOL.

Coppers have a point though.
Most sexual assault occurs in domestic situations, so your statement is invalid. People are more likely to be sexually assaulted by people they know.

Old 03-30-2011 at 06:44 PM   #4
amyf

No, the cop doesn't have a good point.
What’s wrong with suggesting that women take precautions to prevent being raped? is an article that might help explain this.

alh24, Tailsnake all say thanks to amyf for this post.

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:00 PM  
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:10 PM   #5
amyf

The phrase "without exception" is absolutely applicable in this situation. The article states, "those who experience sexual assault are not the ones at fault, without exception." It is never the victim's fault that they are assaulted. They did not ask for it. They did not do it to themselves.
The assailant is the one at fault. They committed the offense, 100% on their own. No matter how a woman is dressed, they still are choosing to assault her, which is never acceptable.
Some stats from Google on rape and how women dress

edited because assaulter is not a word, but assailant is. whoops.

Last edited by amyf : 03-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:22 PM  
camais

Liked: 30 Times

This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Phaint likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:27 PM   #6
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
Would you swim in shark infested waters with an open wound?
I would not.
But sharks are predatory beings incapable of feeling sympathy for their prey. I expect more of human beings, and I think everyone should.

Revolution1 likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:27 PM  
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Last edited by Toast : 03-30-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Entropy, Kal El like this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:36 PM  
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Last edited by alh24 : 03-30-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:37 PM   #7
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

Dressing slutty shouldn't get you raped just like wearing a meat suit during a lion demonstration at the zoo shouldn't get you eaten, though you're obviously increasing your chances.

With that being said I could never put the blame of sexual assault on the victim, that's just absurd.

Either way this seems like a colossal waste of money for the organizers and a huge overreaction for a misguided comment.

Last edited by Jman. : 03-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.

camais likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:39 PM   #8
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Right, because women never place themselves in social situations where they are umpteen times more likely to be sexually assaulted (i.e. prostitution, attending random parties, ingesting copious amounts of alcohol and narcotics, sleeping with somebody they just met). Obviously women did not "do it to themselves", but they willingly and deliberately increased the risk factor.

I don't attend a tanning salon 5 times a day, and maintain my innocence when I develop skin cancer.

Of course, this does not account for all sexual assaults, but we shouldn't throw phrases like "without exception" around willy-nilly.
You're comparing sexual assault to disease. Sexual assault is not inevitable. The assailant always has the power to prevent the assault. By comparing sexual assault to an inevitable occurrence which is not committed but simply happens, you are taking all responsibility away from the assailant.

Women should be able to drink and go to parties just like men do, without being at risk of someone raping them. They're not thinking, "I want to increase my risk factor of being raped." They're just trying to live.

Learn the basics about rape in our culture
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:44 PM   #9
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
My opinion is essentially: I see no problem with dressing provocatively, as long as you're safe - staying in groups of close friends, limiting your drinking (and watching your drinks), etc. Certainly, females should be able to wear what they wish without thinking "can't wear that, I'll get assaulted." However, the fact of the matter is that sexual assault is a very real risk, and you should do as much as possible to prevent yourself from being in a dangerous situation.
I personally do take precautions such as watching my drink and staying with people I trust. It's true that this rape culture is the reality we live in. My opinion is this: the reality that these precautions are such a large part of women's lives is unfair and unfortunate. We need to work to change our culture so that rape is less accepted, less common, and so that women are safer.
The fact that women are taught to take precautions from a young age to prevent rape, but no one ever tells men to stop raping directly is a problem. Why is the onus of preventing rape on victims?

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:45 PM  
alh24
Elite Member

Last edited by alh24 : 03-30-2011 at 07:49 PM.

camais likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:48 PM   #10
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyf View Post
I personally do take precautions such as watching my drink and staying with people I trust. It's true that this rape culture is the reality we live in. My opinion is this: the reality that these precautions are such a large part of women's lives is unfair and unfortunate. We need to work to change our culture so that rape is less accepted, less common, and so that women are safer.
The fact that women are taught to take precautions from a young age to prevent rape, but no one ever tells men to stop raping directly is a problem. Why is the onus of preventing rape on victims?
Of course, I agree. I'm sure all of us wish this was different, but all I'm saying is that this currently is the case, and so at least for now, women need to be careful. Hopefully things change in the future.

amyf says thanks to alh24 for this post.