MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Worst thing you did to someone? bloodywarz General Discussion 73 09-18-2010 11:20 AM
best/worst res MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 12 08-23-2010 02:00 PM
Worst gift you've gotten.. ~*Sara*~ Dating & Relationships 30 12-24-2009 03:23 PM
Myers-Briggs Personality Types huzaifa47 General Discussion 54 08-24-2009 03:51 AM
Different types of payment agreements? gcruz91 General Discussion 2 07-03-2009 02:02 PM

Discussion topic: Crazy roommates

If you're living off-campus or in a dorm room, sooner or later you're bound to come across a crazy roommate. Ciera Choate labels some below... which ones have YOU encountered, and if you've had some roommates that don't fit these categories, make your own category up and share it!

Post a reply to this article, we want to hear from you!

10 worst types of roommates
Author: Ciera Choate
Source: USA Today

The Alcoholic
You thought your uncle who liked to have a few drinks was too much to handle at family gatherings, until you moved in with this guy. He always leaves beer cans and liquor bottles everywhere and refuses to clean, making the entire dorm room/apartment smell like alcohol.

The Kid Stuck in High School
By the time we get to college, most of us have left high school behind in hopes that we can move on to better things. Unfortunately, this kid hasn’t left high school and won’t let you forget. He/she will realize in time that no one cares about how many “crazy” nights they had or how they were the most popular kid in school.

The Cheater
Not just the person that is always trying to cheat in some way, but the person that is always trying to cheat off of you. Every once in a while it doesn’t matter if they copy your homework but when it’s every night it can get old. Fast.

Sticky Fingers
You move in and begin to notice that over time you are missing quite a few things. Then you realize that your roommate is starting to get a lot of new things that look like things that you used to own. The worst part is no matter what you do, they never stop.

Mr./Ms. In Your Face
Just because you get stuck in a dorm with someone does not mean that you two are going to be best friends. Too bad some people don’t understand this and will pretend like you are lifelong friends. At first it’s fun because you have someone to hang out with, but after a while you start to figure out ways to leave without them tagging along.

The Depressed Art Major
This is not referring to all art majors because in my experience most of them are cool. I’m talking about that guy/girl that always seems to be tragically upset about something and covers the room in depressing artwork.

The Life of the Party
Everywhere this person goes there is a party that follows. You aren’t sure how he/she is always going nonstop, but you do know one thing – you want them to take the party anywhere but your apartment. Too bad your dorm room/apartment is now the place to party. Every night.

The College Harlot
Your roommate has been single for a while, but there is always someone doing the walk of shame out of your dorm room/apartment every morning. It wouldn’t bother you too much if they didn’t keep you awake all night, and you didn’t have to check to make sure some strange guy/girl wasn’t outside of your room before leaving.

The Drug Dealer
Depending on what you like to do in your spare time, having someone with connections around all of the time could be a good thing. But not these kind of connections. Few people are okay with the constant sketchy people in their apartment indulging in illegal activities at all hours.

The Slob
Everyone has their messy habits, but most people confine them to their bedroom. This person leaves a mess in their wake no matter where they go, and you are always stuck cleaning it up.
Here’s hoping you aren’t stuck with one of these types this year. Are there any bad roommates you would add to this list? Let us know in the comments.

jamescw1234, jon.john23 all say thanks to Chad for this post.

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-08-2011 at 07:48 PM   #2
tyrant
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 121 Times
The mooch - mooches off you whenever they can (homecooked food here, a coffee there, printing his notes from your printer etc.) taking advantage of your hospitality even though you stopped offering long time ago, and when you need them, too bad cause they're no where to be found.

I HATE THIS PERSON!!!!!!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-08-2011 at 07:52 PM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member
Faculty: Engineering
Year: First
Residence: bates

Liked: 85 Times
I think Collage humor has a video on the worst types of roommates pretty jokes
Old 08-08-2011 at 08:07 PM   #4
lux
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Other

Liked: 318 Times
As guy, I honestly thought "Sticky Fingers" meant something totally different when I first saw it.

Old 08-08-2011 at 08:26 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
As guy, I honestly thought "Sticky Fingers" meant something totally different when I first saw it.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:35 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One
Program: Social Work and Sociology
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 468 Times
I lived in a 2 BR last year, I remember my roommate's parents did not want her living with a boy, so she lied to them. For 1 year they thought she lived with a Korean girl named Jenna, and whenever they would come over I would leave the apartment, if I stayed there any longer I'd have to find someone to play "Jenna." One point they asked "if she's Korean, why is her name Jenna, and how come we never met her?"

oh goodness....

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Old 08-08-2011 at 10:06 PM   #7
Freija
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 384 Times
Great article! Very informative.
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:55 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS FoSo!

Liked: 160 Times
I find it ironic that I was planning to wacth the roomate tonight. I dealt with a college harlot. wasnt that bad but still id be chaging and guess who would pop in
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:04 PM   #9
Mahes
Program: Communication Studies

Liked: 1 Time
Awesome post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:16 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Awesome article! I hope no one ends up with a crazy room-mate DX!

Mahes likes this.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:34 PM   #11
cjdzl
G0DFATHER
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 229 Times
u forgot The Jerker
this is coming from personal experience

Old 08-08-2011 at 11:36 PM   #12
Mahes
Program: Communication Studies

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
u forgot The Jerker
LOL.

I think this is... nvm.
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:54 PM   #13
InvisoBill
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
u forgot The Jerker
the dance? O_o

you know... you're a jerk, i know

MacPack likes this.
Old 08-09-2011 at 06:20 PM   #14
sapphiwen
Program: Engineering & Management
Year: Fourth

Liked: 6 Times
I know someone who had roommates that only ate food from tupperware brought by their parents. They literally never washed dishes and the sink was always filled with their tupperware containers. One time I opened up the cupboard to find a plate and found it filled with tupperware containers with food all over them. I closed the cupboard and offered to take my friend out to dinner.
Old 08-09-2011 at 07:57 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiwen View Post
I know someone who had roommates that only ate food from tupperware brought by their parents. They literally never washed dishes and the sink was always filled with their tupperware containers. One time I opened up the cupboard to find a plate and found it filled with tupperware containers with food all over them. I closed the cupboard and offered to take my friend out to dinner.
... That's just ridiculous... Not the parents bringing their kid food, the not washing the tupperwares properly or at all >.>

jon.john23, patela77 like this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search