MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OUSA General Assembly Delegate Applications Now Open finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-14-2010 02:02 PM
Where can I find scholarships and bursaries to apply for? logans Financial Aid 2 08-22-2010 06:46 PM
Bursaries Have Been Given Out! niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 148 03-06-2010 12:34 AM
Social Science Welcome Week Rep 2010 Applications open! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 15 02-26-2010 08:40 PM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

When do the applications for scholarships and bursaries open?

Old 05-22-2010 at 03:33 PM   #1
rant

Liked: 3 Times

When do the applications for scholarships and bursaries open?
I'm looking on the the SFAS page and I can't seem to find out when the applications for these open for 2010/11. Is there a general time frame?

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question!
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:46 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Not stupid at all!

All I can say is soon-ish...I've never been eligible for bursaries (not being on OSAP), and there aren't many scholarships available for students doing a second degree.

The OSAP applications just became available...so that probably plays into it too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

rant says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:49 PM   #3
rant

Liked: 3 Times

Second degree, wow. I wish you the best of luck with it, you have my serious respect. I hope you are able to qualify for what limited aid there is out there for your sector.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:51 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rant View Post
Second degree, wow. I wish you the best of luck with it, you have my serious respect. I hope you are able to qualify for what limited aid there is out there for your sector.
Second degree is actually completed. But thanks!

I'm starting an MA in the fall...and apparently they're way more generous than when you do your undergrad.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-22-2010 at 03:54 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

After some research, the deadline is sometime in second semester (take this post as an example), and I believe some of them you can start applying for in August?

We had a date or two on our calender last year, but they aren't archived. I also remember talking to students about applying for them at Welcome Day two years ago, myself trying a few days before.

Old 05-22-2010 at 04:07 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
After some research, the deadline is sometime in second semester (take this post as an example), and I believe some of them you can start applying for in August?

We had a date or two on our calender last year, but they aren't archived. I also remember talking to students about applying for them at Welcome Day two years ago, myself trying a few days before.
I believe the bursary application comes out in late September to early October.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:30 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Second degree is actually completed. But thanks!

I'm starting an MA in the fall...and apparently they're way more generous than when you do your undergrad.
Yay Stipends. : )

I wish I got scholarships. Though apparently OSAP forgives anything above $7000 (not sure how true this is). Yay for having an awesome, but low paying job, and being an independent student for once.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:52 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I wish I got scholarships. Though apparently OSAP forgives anything above $7000 (not sure how true this is). Yay for having an awesome, but low paying job, and being an independent student for once.
I also, have an awesome but low-paying job. I wish it was an awesome, higher-paying job located closer to home!

But, the experience you get from the job is pivotal, no?

Old 05-22-2010 at 05:38 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

That value is for every entitlement, not the cumulative of all of them. So maximum you can owe OSAP after 4 years is 28,000$. The rest of the money is called a grant.
Old 05-22-2010 at 08:37 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That value is for every entitlement, not the cumulative of all of them. So maximum you can owe OSAP after 4 years is 28,000$. The rest of the money is called a grant.
Considering my tuition next year will be over half of the max, I think I'm good. Yay grants.
Old 05-22-2010 at 10:07 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Considering my tuition next year will be over half of the max, I think I'm good. Yay grants.
Tuition and OSAP entitlement are completely different though. Just because your tuition is 14,000$ doesn't mean you will be entitled to 14,000$ of OSAP.
Old 05-23-2010 at 09:13 AM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Tuition and OSAP entitlement are completely different though. Just because your tuition is 14,000$ doesn't mean you will be entitled to 14,000$ of OSAP.
It's my first year of not being considered a dependent, so they only take my income and banking information into consideration.

- cost of living in the region that I'll be staying is ridiculously expensive even if I live at the outskirts of town, it'll cost at least $600/month per rent, and that's sharing with 2 other people.
- currently working for minimum wage (yay, $10), for approx 10 weeks.
- no car, or anything that would reduce my deductions.

As an aside, I'm just bitter about being in $60000 in debt from tuition. >:|

Last edited by Lij : 05-23-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2010 at 01:12 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It's my first year of not being considered a dependent, so they only take my income and banking information into consideration.

- cost of living in the region that I'll be staying is ridiculously expensive even if I live at the outskirts of town, it'll cost at least $600/month per rent, and that's sharing with 2 other people.
- currently working for minimum wage (yay, $10), for approx 10 weeks.
- no car, or anything that would reduce my deductions.

As an aside, I'm just bitter about being in $60000 in debt from tuition. >:|
Hm, that's true. Best of luck for your entitlement, you should get a lot though.