MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macmaster oscarplus cancel octate Computers & Tech 0 09-06-2012 08:38 PM
Oscarplus Work Study Program Schen Financial Aid 1 08-14-2012 07:52 AM
Oscarplus loginbox userscript Afzal Computers & Tech 10 02-29-2012 07:20 AM
Declining an Interview Through OscarPlus TedMosby General Discussion 11 01-30-2012 04:27 PM
OSCARplus problem enarab Academics 0 10-03-2011 07:45 PM

How do I go about applying for a job on OSCARplus?

Old 09-30-2012 at 08:18 PM   #1
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

How do I go about applying for a job on OSCARplus?
Okay, so I have never had a job before, and I have never applied to any using OSCARplus. What is the procedure like?

I know that you need to submit Application Packages. What does that include? The cover letter and resume? And does that mean that you'll need to upload a separate Application Package for each job you want to apply to (seeing as each cover letter would differ)? What about the Approved Work Program Form and a Transcript? I assume they too must be included in the Application Package (as they are required documents and application is done entirely through OSCAPplus). But where do I get them? Where do I get approved and where can I get a transcript?
Old 09-30-2012 at 08:29 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Okay, so I have never had a job before, and I have never applied to any using OSCARplus. What is the procedure like?

I know that you need to submit Application Packages. What does that include? The cover letter and resume? And does that mean that you'll need to upload a separate Application Package for each job you want to apply to (seeing as each cover letter would differ)? What about the Approved Work Program Form and a Transcript? I assume they too must be included in the Application Package (as they are required documents and application is done entirely through OSCAPplus). But where do I get them? Where do I get approved and where can I get a transcript?
1. Touch up your resume
2. Search for jobs on the jobs tab
3. Find job you like, take a look at description, what they're looking for (experience, skills, type of person)
4. Check if they ask for resume/cover letter/transcripts/etc
5. Update your resume and tailor your cover letter to the particular job posting
6. Upload your required documents (under job postings)
7. Create an application package (its pretty easy)
8. Submit your application package to the job posting

Transcripts can be requested at the registrar hallway in gilmore hall (up the stairs from the tim hortons in musc, 2nd floor and can be picked up or delivered to you house; after that you'll have to scan it.
Approved work form isn't used a whole lot, and only if you actually get the job in a lot of instances. If you really are requested for it, go to MUGSI and fill it out or print (whatever option they allow, havn't looked at it in a while) and scan if required, and attach it to your application package.

Yogurt says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 09-30-2012 at 08:31 PM   #3
Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
1. Touch up your resume
2. Search for jobs on the jobs tab
3. Find job you like, take a look at description, what they're looking for (experience, skills, type of person)
4. Check if they ask for resume/cover letter/transcripts/etc
5. Update your resume and tailor your cover letter to the particular job posting
6. Upload your required documents (under job postings)
7. Create an application package (its pretty easy)
8. Submit your application package to the job posting

Transcripts can be requested at the registrar hallway in gilmore hall (up the stairs from the tim hortons in musc, 2nd floor and can be picked up or delivered to you house; after that you'll have to scan it.
Approved work form isn't used a whole lot, and only if you actually get the job in a lot of instances. If you really are requested for it, go to MUGSI and fill it out or print (whatever option they allow, havn't looked at it in a while) and scan if required, and attach it to your application package.
Smashing!
That's everything I needed to know. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-30-2012 at 11:04 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

If you're looking for coop , application rush season is near christmas
Old 09-30-2012 at 11:14 PM   #5
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
If you're looking for coop , application rush season is near christmas
Tons of jobs actually just closed 10 mins ago. I applied to 6 different companies that had theirs expire just now, so check back at random times and you will be suprised at what you fine.

To be honest, I found Oscar to be pretty useless unless you manage to make yourself stand out a lot from others. A lot of companies post to their own sites first or only to their site, so just look for companies as opposed to let them find you

Edit: The jobs I applied to WERE for 4 month summer positions, not January starts
Old 10-01-2012 at 12:00 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@snowman coop teacher lied to me then -.- time to fixup resume
Old 10-01-2012 at 05:36 AM   #7
Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Tons of jobs actually just closed 10 mins ago. I applied to 6 different companies that had theirs expire just now, so check back at random times and you will be suprised at what you fine.

To be honest, I found Oscar to be pretty useless unless you manage to make yourself stand out a lot from others. A lot of companies post to their own sites first or only to their site, so just look for companies as opposed to let them find you

Edit: The jobs I applied to WERE for 4 month summer positions, not January starts
I'm looking under the WORKSTUDY section, so it's mostly McMaster-based jobs.
Old 10-01-2012 at 08:06 AM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Resumes and cover letters only go so far. What you NEED to do (especially if you are not in next to final year) is attend all the sessions where companies come to mac and give your resume in person. Bigger companies sometimes hire exclusively out of the pool of people that actually make the effort to go to their sessions. In some cases you will be able to talk to the hiring manager on the spot too.

As for oscarplus: start looking now. I happen to know that the place im working for now is posting jobs for summer NOW due to their hiring process taking a while, and those jobs will be taken or removed within a month or two. That said rush season is January so you will find the most jobs (and competition) at that point.
Old 11-12-2012 at 03:42 PM   #9
ravina

Liked: 0 Times

what's the best time to apply for jobs?
Old 11-12-2012 at 05:01 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravina View Post
what's the best time to apply for jobs?
That depends on when you want to start working. Generally as early as possible.
Old 12-02-2012 at 04:43 AM   #11
durgaprasadzo

Liked: 0 Times

Wow. Feels great to read your blog.Actually I was searching for the same information since many days but todayI am so lucky to land on your page. Thanks again for your hard work.