MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this notebook seem good based on the specs and is it a good price considering camelsrfun Computers & Tech 1 01-20-2013 10:22 PM
Good Mic? Kaerea Music 7 09-26-2012 11:28 AM
help ppl.. do your good deed of the day.. lol deep Residence & Housing 12 06-09-2008 08:51 PM

do a good deed and help me out please :)

Old 10-26-2013 at 01:46 PM   #1
mohdnours

Liked: 0 Times

do a good deed and help me out please :)
Hellloo!
I am a Canadian citizen studying outside of Canada in an American Curriculum school, and I just want to have an idea of my chancea of admission. My GPA is about 3.45, and I am enrolled in courses like AP Bio, Anatomy and Physiology, FST with grades at or above 90 and I did precal and chemistry last year in grade 11. My SAT is 670M, 600W, 540CR...

I have sent my application from OUAC 105D, but I still worry that my GPA is low for Life Sciences, as I plan to be a doctor. Also, is there a decent chance of being accepted into medical school from Mac's Life Science progam? I thinking like McGill or even Mac itself.

Extracurricular activities and such... I am the coach's training assistant in our judo team and I have a salary and all that, and I take care of trainings when the coach is unavailable(I think that stands out, but would Mac ever ask about it? :S )
I also speak English, Arabic, and French with fluency...

Lol I have no idea what to say now :p

BTW, is health sciences a better option? I just detest the idea of 4 year studies... The 3 is better in life sciences.

lallalalalalalalaaaaa ...
What else?...

Riiiight! I saw that the minimum average for admittance is 80, but the cutoff is like 88 or something from a couple threads... So could anyone please clarify this? :/

And is it possible that I send my transcripts and such papers electronically? Or should be by like DHL or something?

I appreciate anything you say(politely of course :p )
and advice would be especially nice
Old 10-26-2013 at 02:57 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I have absolutely no idea how your courses transfer over but the info might be on Mac's admissions website...pretty sure your SATs are irrelevant.
Just because you meet the minimum average for admittance that doesn't mean you'll get an offer. Basically, there are x number of spots, they rank all of the applicants in order from highest GPA to lowest GPA and then the top x people will get offers. The "cutoff" is whatever the GPA is for the lowest ranked person who gets an offer. So, nobody can tell you what the cutoff for a given year will be, but the school does typically post an estimate based on previous years. The minimum average for admittance basically just says that even if the program hasn't filled all of their spaces, they won't accept you if your average is below that.

Your chances of being accepted to med school from life sci are just as good as they would be from any other program. Med schools don't care what program you come from. As for 3yr vs 4yr, you should enter a 4-year program and then you can always choose to leave after 3 years if you get into med school at that point. This is an option in health sci as well. In fact, some med schools actually require you to have completed a 4-year degree, so it's something you should seriously look into. For hth sci vs life sci you should look at how you learn better and what subjects you're more interested in, because the programs are really very different.