MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Students Helping Students Over The Holidays Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-25-2009 09:57 PM
Engineering Students mudathto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 69 08-28-2009 10:46 AM
IRIS: A Drama Production by Students for Students lorend First Year Success 0 06-06-2008 02:57 PM

Do IB students have an advantage over non-IB students?

Old 07-11-2011 at 02:26 AM   #1
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Do IB students have an advantage over non-IB students?
Well from experience do IB students have an advantage or generally do better than non-IB students? At Mac especially?
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:03 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

It can go either way.
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:28 AM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
Well from experience do IB students have an advantage or generally do better than non-IB students? At Mac especially?
There is probably little to no advantage when it comes to academic performance.

The one advantage to doing IB would be if some of your credits from IB convert to university course credits. I've heard of people doing this, but I don't know of the details exactly. If you can get away with it, you should.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:04 AM   #4
Doodly

Liked: 1 Time

Only adv is credit transfers, if you do well enough in english you can get a full years worth of english credits I believe which is awesome for graduate schools that need it. Don't expect to find it easier to study or anything, however depending on which HLs you took, you may find those courses to contain more "review" content vs non IB kids but in the end there really isn't a difference.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:20 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Lol no they get owned just as bad too :p

Ish001, L'Étoile, paula112 like this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:55 AM   #6
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Lol no they get owned just as bad too :p
This.
12chars

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:27 AM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

If you get a 5 or higher in any HL course, it counts as a full year of transfer credits. So I took HL English, HL Chem and HL Econ so I have a full year of transfer credits for each of those courses. I opted not to use my chem because I wanted to take first year chem.

In terms of academics, I thought IB prepared me really well for first year uni. A lot of chem 1a03/1aa3 was review from high school and same goes for bio 1a03/1m03.

But you have to be careful with your transfer credits. If you're looking into entering med school after you graduate, some med schools have conditions on accepting transfer credits. For example, Alberta will only take IB transfer credits if you got a 6 or a 7.

Last edited by MichaelScarn : 07-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:38 AM   #8
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

I found that IB helped prepare me for some of the courses i took, especially the ones that had essay writing. The format for essays was nearly the same for most history courses i took. Also, the transfer credits will get you some open spaces on your schedule, but i don't know whether it's such a good idea to skip a year of courses, especially if you're in Life Sci. A friend of mine, who was also in IB and now is in Life Sci opted to forgo the transfer credits, rather then risk missing any new information