MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Is it possible to take 33 units (for non-engineering students) ever? shreya s. Academics 8 04-27-2010 09:03 AM
Attention all Engineering Students adrian General Discussion 24 03-08-2010 08:56 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

Engineering Students

Old 08-19-2009 at 11:50 PM   #1
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Engineering Students
I was told first year eng. here at Mac by some of my friends is death. Anyone know how many people actually don't make it through first year engineering (or engineering in general/ all 4 years)? Any numbers?
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:29 AM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I heard something along the lines of "at least 40% don't make it" last year or something. And that in one of the courses the class average was actually a failing grade. Or something along those lines.

But this is just mostly second hand info =/
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:42 AM   #3
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

I wouldn't really worry about the numbers, first year eng isn't too bad if you do the work. I think it was something like 20% don't go on to level 2 engineering but that could be for a bunch of reasons, not only dropping out.

Old 08-20-2009 at 12:53 AM   #4
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

hmm so there aren't actually numbers that i could give you cause I don't think those get released. I don't think anyone has gone out of their way to poll everyone, not that everyone would want to talk about that. I can say i know a few people in summer school so failing a course is sadly common. Luckily unlike years ago people can go to summer school and take some courses to boost average. Definitely helps increase the number that get through. I remember that Sally Williams(1st year coordinator) said like an approximate amount of seats for each of the engineering disciplines so that may be a good indication of how many people get through. Unfortunately I didn't get them down perhaps someone else has. Could help considering that maybe not all the seats are filled or changed but probably good approximation. There is another forum i believe about what courses to watch out for. Unfortunately not everyone makes the cut don't let it be you.
Old 08-20-2009 at 06:38 AM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

A lot of people switch out of eng for different reasons, and many find it is just not for them after even just the first term!

If you're up for it, and you'll work hard you should give it a go! It's great. Im not really smart by any means, but because I get all my stuff done and study decently, I've pulled through You can do it!

Mac Eng is a HUGE support network, unlike some other schools where competition is more prevalent. Here, we all help each other because we're all in the same boat!!

Do give it a try!!

mudathto says thanks to micadjems for this post.

mse369, mudathto, ThagsanaR like this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 06:55 AM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Once you meet some of your class mates and see how much interest they (don't) have in the applied part of engineering (especially in the upper years), you'll realize the number that leave engineering is not high enough.

ViktorVaughn likes this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 07:53 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Ok.

So, after first term, about 200 students or so dropped engineering last year. Also, for 2nd term math, there were significantly less students since the first term math was a prerequisite to pass.

First term, our math averages for class were alot the lines of 51%, 52% and the last test was 65%. Physics averages were in the 50's. Otherwise, chemistry used to be in the 60's or 70's, 1p03 we didnt have any testing done, and 1d04 our midterm was 73% average. So as you can see, math 1z04 was really a killer, with physics 1d03 close behind - so focus alot of those!

Second term, our first math test had a whopping 73% average! Only to be dropped to 60's for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th test. But overall most people put alot of work into 2nd term math, seeing as how it was 5 units and was ALOT of work. Physics 1E03 averages were also in the 40's and 50's, so nothing great. Another killer was Materials 1M03. Averages were in the 60's usually, but the tests had like 7 questions.. so basically like 17% of your mark is based on 7 questions, most of which are M/C. Again, 1P03 wasnt bad, with the group project 1C03, no tests, but we had a midterm for the lab, average was 70's or so, probably even low 80's. You just need to practice solid edge for that course. The tutorials had averages of 70% or so, since they required you to do more work. So, as you can see, spend time this term mainly on 1ZZ5, 1E03, and 1M03!

Overall, good luck Remember you require a 4.0/12 GPA to get into 2nd year engineering and a 3.0 to stay at Mac. A 4.0 average is 60-63% - so as you can see alot of the tests were below this average Oh, and just cause you get a 4.0 doesnt guaruntee you will get into the stream you want. Each stream has its own specific requirement. Most last year were a 4.0, but for example, Electrical requires a 6.0, Biomedical a 9.0, etc etc. But as i said, most last year required a 4.0, but this doesnt mean the same for this upcoming year. All it means if you get a 4.0 atleast is that your guaranteed a stream for second year.

Good Luck, and have fun but study hard!

Last edited by blackdragon : 08-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.

ericvan1 likes this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:15 AM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

First year eng students get a special math test during the first week. I highly recommend spending the next few weeks studying for that. Review concepts in highschool as well as stuff you did not learn. The test will determine your future.

aziz917, maclover, slx4, ThagsanaR all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.

Boolean, valconrj like this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:17 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
...you'll realize the number that leave engineering is not high enough.
Are you saying that a lot of engineering students stick around even though they hate what they're doing? lol
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:19 AM   #10
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Actually, it is recommended you do not study for the tuesday math test

it is to see how much knowledge you have retained from highschool for future years' curriculums.
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:22 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post

it is to see how much knowledge you have retained from highschool for future years' curriculums.
Oh I remember that test. Yup, it really broke down the confidence of incoming engineers, lol.

Sucks that they always host it during friggin welcome week ... have fun engineering 1, lol.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 08-20-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:29 AM   #12
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post

Ever hear of playing along

LOL I'm so bad
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:30 AM   #13
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Ok.

So, after first term, about 200 students or so dropped engineering last year. Also, for 2nd term math, there were significantly less students since the first term math was a prerequisite to pass.

First term, our math averages for class were alot the lines of 51%, 52% and the last test was 65%. Physics averages were in the 50's. Otherwise, chemistry used to be in the 60's or 70's, 1p03 we didnt have any testing done, and 1d04 our midterm was 73% average. So as you can see, math 1z04 was really a killer, with physics 1d03 close behind - so focus alot of those!

Second term, our first math test had a whopping 73% average! Only to be dropped to 60's for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th test. But overall most people put alot of work into 2nd term math, seeing as how it was 5 units and was ALOT of work. Physics 1E03 averages were also in the 40's and 50's, so nothing great. Another killer was Materials 1M03. Averages were in the 60's usually, but the tests had like 7 questions.. so basically like 17% of your mark is based on 7 questions, most of which are M/C. Again, 1P03 wasnt bad, with the group project 1C03, no tests, but we had a midterm for the lab, average was 70's or so, probably even low 80's. You just need to practice solid edge for that course. The tutorials had averages of 70% or so, since they required you to do more work. So, as you can see, spend time this term mainly on 1ZZ5, 1E03, and 1M03!

Overall, good luck Remember you require a 4.0/12 GPA to get into 2nd year engineering and a 3.0 to stay at Mac. A 4.0 average is 60-63% - so as you can see alot of the tests were below this average Oh, and just cause you get a 4.0 doesnt guaruntee you will get into the stream you want. Each stream has its own specific requirement. Most last year were a 4.0, but for example, Electrical requires a 6.0, Biomedical a 9.0, etc etc. But as i said, most last year required a 4.0, but this doesnt mean the same for this upcoming year. All it means if you get a 4.0 atleast is that your guaranteed a stream for second year.

Good Luck, and have fun but study hard!
Way to discourage the first years. (The Good Luck at the end literally killed me)

Old 08-20-2009 at 11:49 AM   #14
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I don't understand. How do people make it through the rest of engineering if they find first year so hard? I know individual experiences will always differ, but I found eng 1 to be the easiest year so far. If I could rate each year in difficulty, I would say:

eng 1: easiest
eng 2: harder
eng 3: hardest
eng 4: moderate - easier than 2 & 3, harder than 1.
eng 5: we'll soon find out.

(this is mech)

My feeling is that the transition form highschool to university makes it feel harder than it really is. Relax, you'll do fine. Most people that bail do so because they discover engineering isn't for them, not because they failed out.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:58 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I don't understand. How do people make it through the rest of engineering if they find first year so hard? I know individual experiences will always differ, but I found eng 1 to be the easiest year so far. If I could rate each year in difficulty, I would say:

eng 1: easiest
eng 2: harder
eng 3: hardest
eng 4: moderate - easier than 2 & 3, harder than 1.
eng 5: we'll soon find out.

(this is mech)

My feeling is that the transition form highschool to university makes it feel harder than it really is. Relax, you'll do fine. Most people that bail do so because they discover engineering isn't for them, not because they failed out.
Well, I can't compare it to anything as of yet, but ya, I didn't find it too hard (easier than the highschool I went to in a lot of ways...).

Anyway, you guys had it easier in some ways back then. From what I heard from the upper year TAs, you had no 1C03 project and 1P03 was a free twelve and no project. There were also way less people in engineering back then, so it was probably easier to talk with the professors / get help, I don't know.

I was under the assumption that upper years wouldn't be bad either since you'd actually be focused on something you're interested in :p.