MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attention Science Students!!!! aviaf General Discussion 2 09-29-2010 10:25 PM
Is it possible to take 33 units (for non-engineering students) ever? shreya s. Academics 8 04-27-2010 09:03 AM
Engineering Students mudathto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 69 08-28-2009 10:46 AM
Attention First Year Science Students!! manu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 08-04-2009 12:01 PM
Attention all Art Students! Mill Learning Commons Looking for Art KristaG General Discussion 0 12-07-2006 11:36 AM

Attention all Engineering Students

Old 02-24-2010 at 02:42 PM   #1
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Attention all Engineering Students
Hello Engineering Students of MacInsiders,

My name is Adrian Burlacu. I am an active member of MacInsiders, I am running in the senate election for engineering and I thought I'd remind you about the very important election coming up.

During the MSU elections, everyone was saying the words "bad voter turnout". Well, the election for the Engineering senate position is held on Tuesday March 16, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m in the JHE lobby. You probably got an email about this and also probably forgot about it by now. This may be the reason I was told by some that the voter turnout for senate elections is very very low, lower than that of the MSU presidential election. But senate elections are indeed important.

Let me put it this way: during the whole MSU election process, I kept wondering: "what do I want changed at McMaster? What really matters to me." The answer is obviously: "academics" - how classes and tutorials are conducted, different teaching strategies and so on. But the MSU can't do much about this issues, as I found out. The university senate can. This is why this election is so important. This is why I was astounded about the supposed "low turnout" at senate voting.

So please, if you ever had an academic or administrative issue that you want solved, please go to vote in the senate elections.

If you want to learn more about senate elections, what I stand for, or just want to talk to me, I am holding a focus group in Mills Library, room
L310/E(3rd floor) on March 9th, from 3pm to 5pm. You can drop in whenever between those times. Thanks to Mary(MSU president-elect) for inspiring me and guiding me to do this focus group.

I hope your post-reading week work is going well, I know it's keeping me busy,
Adrian Burlacu

link to senate website, where you can see my resume, along with the other candidates(scroll down to the undergraduate, engineering election):
http://www.mcmaster.ca/univsec/elect...te/senate3.cfm

Last edited by adrian : 02-24-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added link

BlakeM, Geek, manu, Ownaginatios all say thanks to adrian for this post.

Old 02-24-2010 at 11:25 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

bumping to keep people informed
Old 02-24-2010 at 11:36 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

If elected will you remain a frequent poster on MI, and talk about things the senate is currently doing?
Old 02-25-2010 at 12:29 AM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Of course, why would I give up MI? It's a daily source of valuable opinions. MI has been a great place for discussion these years, I'm not going away anytime soon. And yes, I would love getting peoples' views on senate issues. In fact it's kind of the definition of the job, being a student representative. I can only represent if I know what people think.

I'm really happy to be part of this community, it's been a great couple of years being here, and with this senate position, I feel I can actually make a difference on behalf of you guys. Makes me happy.
Adrian

Marlowe likes this.
Old 02-25-2010 at 08:08 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Ok, sick. We have a couple SRA members who are regular posters, but the senate has always seemed to be less active in talking about what they are doing. If you'd actually post about it on MI, it would help inform a lot more students who might not know a senator personally.

I'll be telling my Engineering friends to vote for you, good luck!
Old 02-25-2010 at 10:16 AM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

Awesome, thanks a lot!
Old 02-25-2010 at 10:17 PM   #7
adrian
Elite Member

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
--my attempt at a funny thread bump
Old 02-25-2010 at 11:03 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

If you somehow discreetly integrate a meme into your campaign for the lulz; I'll make sure to pester everyone I know to vote for you
Old 02-25-2010 at 11:14 PM   #9
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you somehow discreetly integrate a meme into your campaign for the lulz; I'll make sure to pester everyone I know to vote for you
EAST-ER EGG!
EAST-ER EGG!
EAST-ER EGG!
Old 02-26-2010 at 04:52 PM   #10
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Sounds good, although the definition of a meme kinda prevents it from being discreet(since everyone knows it)
Old 02-26-2010 at 05:12 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post

Sounds good, although the definition of a meme kinda prevents it from being discreet(since everyone knows it)
Well not really, What makes meme's amusing is that you can quote them everywhere and most of the people will have no idea what you are saying except the few of the cool bros.

Random examples me quoting Can I bring Amber Lamps?/Bring Da Amberlamps! In the past few weeks and people having no idea what I'm saying.

The MES First year rep winner this year had posters that stood out because they were pretty much random Meme's thrown in.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-26-2010 at 05:35 PM   #12
adrian
Elite Member

I can see it now, the posters: "You liek mudkipz?, vote for moar!"

I just don't want to make it a joke, like Casey Park did in the MSU election. I'm actually quite passionate about this senate election. All kidding aside(though I like to kid), I really hope I get the spot so I can make a difference.

Last edited by adrian : 02-26-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2010 at 05:44 PM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
you liek mudkipz?
Cancer bro Cancer, New&*^ can't triforce.

It is supposed to be: "It has come to my attention from sources wishing to remain anonymous other then your own that you like a certain water based pokemon labelled mudkip in some manner or form. Mudkip is a pokemon that can be selected at the start of ruby, sapphire and emerald versions of the game. Mudkip evolves to marshtomp at level 16 and swampert at level 36. It was also voted the #1 Fan favourite at a recent Pokemon Europe poll."

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-26-2010 at 05:51 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
I can see it now, the posters: "You liek mudkipz?, vote for moar!"

I just don't want to make it a joke, like Casey Park did in the MSU election. I'm actually quite passionate about this senate election. All kidding aside(though I like to kid), I really hope I get the spot so I can make a difference.
Go for an SRA seat too then. A huge problem is the disconnect between Senators, faculty societies and the SRA. The Soc Sci Senator is also the Caucus Leader, and heavily involved in the MSSS. It helps align lobbying goals to put a strong directed effort to getting stuff done.

adrian likes this.
Old 02-26-2010 at 07:39 PM   #15
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan10 View Post
Go for an SRA seat too then. A huge problem is the disconnect between Senators, faculty societies and the SRA. The Soc Sci Senator is also the Caucus Leader, and heavily involved in the MSSS. It helps align lobbying goals to put a strong directed effort to getting stuff done.
hmm, not a bad suggestion. To be honest, I am very busy with assignments/test/other stuff right now and I don't think I'd be able to campaign very effectively. Maybe I'll decide to run by Tuesday, the application deadline, maybe not.

Last edited by adrian : 02-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.