MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Is it possible to take 33 units (for non-engineering students) ever? shreya s. Academics 8 04-27-2010 09:03 AM
Attention all Engineering Students adrian General Discussion 24 03-08-2010 08:56 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

Engineering Students

Old 08-23-2009 at 10:42 PM   #46
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
So how would one compare math 1z04(first term) to, say... grade 12 functions and intro to calc and vectors?
and grade 12 physics to first year physics in engineering I?

I understand a good way to be "safe" in these courses is to practice and understand many kinds of different problems until they become second nature but I would like an opinion on how these courses differ from highschool.

Thanks and sorry for the slight thread-hi-jack. lol
Most of 1Z04 is review of grade 12 math...but you will also learn some new stuff like series , etc.

I think 1D03 and 1E03 (physics) are harder than grade 12 physics.

Boolean says thanks to juntom10 for this post.
Old 08-23-2009
camais
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:30 AM   #47
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

Basically anything that is university is harder than grade 12. The physics was much much harder
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:20 PM   #48
ericvan1

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Ok.

So, after first term, about 200 students or so dropped engineering last year. Also, for 2nd term math, there were significantly less students since the first term math was a prerequisite to pass.

First term, our math averages for class were alot the lines of 51%, 52% and the last test was 65%. Physics averages were in the 50's. Otherwise, chemistry used to be in the 60's or 70's, 1p03 we didnt have any testing done, and 1d04 our midterm was 73% average. So as you can see, math 1z04 was really a killer, with physics 1d03 close behind - so focus alot of those!

Second term, our first math test had a whopping 73% average! Only to be dropped to 60's for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th test. But overall most people put alot of work into 2nd term math, seeing as how it was 5 units and was ALOT of work. Physics 1E03 averages were also in the 40's and 50's, so nothing great. Another killer was Materials 1M03. Averages were in the 60's usually, but the tests had like 7 questions.. so basically like 17% of your mark is based on 7 questions, most of which are M/C. Again, 1P03 wasnt bad, with the group project 1C03, no tests, but we had a midterm for the lab, average was 70's or so, probably even low 80's. You just need to practice solid edge for that course. The tutorials had averages of 70% or so, since they required you to do more work. So, as you can see, spend time this term mainly on 1ZZ5, 1E03, and 1M03!

Overall, good luck Remember you require a 4.0/12 GPA to get into 2nd year engineering and a 3.0 to stay at Mac. A 4.0 average is 60-63% - so as you can see alot of the tests were below this average Oh, and just cause you get a 4.0 doesnt guaruntee you will get into the stream you want. Each stream has its own specific requirement. Most last year were a 4.0, but for example, Electrical requires a 6.0, Biomedical a 9.0, etc etc. But as i said, most last year required a 4.0, but this doesnt mean the same for this upcoming year. All it means if you get a 4.0 atleast is that your guaranteed a stream for second year.

Good Luck, and have fun but study hard!
Just talked with Sally Williams and she told me program acceptance averages were around 8.0 for electrical, mechanical and civil this year.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:03 PM   #49
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvan1 View Post
Just talked with Sally Williams and she told me program acceptance averages were around 8.0 for electrical, mechanical and civil this year.
She raises numbers by quite a bit. Pre second semester exams, each faculty had miraculously high admission numbers. She wants people to do well, regardless of applying to Eng Phys or Biomed. The numbers may change, but trying to aim for the bare minimum isn't gonna do you much good. Because if you are aiming for lets say a 7, you may end up with a 6, aiming for a 10 may end up with an 8, but an 8 of overkill is alot better than getting screwed out of a program you wanted to get into.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:08 PM   #50
BlakeM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
So how would one compare math 1z04(first term) to, say... grade 12 functions and intro to calc and vectors?
and grade 12 physics to first year physics in engineering I?
For 1z04, I personally thought it was a lot harder, just because I was lazy. If you put the work in, it should be fairly straight forward, if a little challenging until you get used to the questions. Just trust me, once you get to infinite series, learn it and love it, it WILL raise your mark ALOT.

Physics was different for a lot of people. I found the kinematics super easy, but didn't do super well on it (I ended with a 9 in the course because I ripped the exam, but did badly on the tests). I found the electrical stuff brutal (I didn't understand a thing, just the way I learn I guess, couldn't figure stuff out) but I learned how to study properly and did well on tests + exam. Most people thought 1D03 was meh, and 1E03 was brutal from what I gather.

Boolean says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:19 PM   #51
camais

Liked: 30 Times

from what i hear ap calculus covers 1z04 material
anyone know how much of 1zz5 material it also covers?
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:15 AM   #52
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
I think its on faculty day. It is mandatory that you do the test. From what I heard, the results of the test determined the bell curve so I highly recommend you complete the survival to first year math guide.

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/rm.html

Good luck!
Is there something like this for the physics and chemistry courses?

Last edited by blahzay : 08-25-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:19 AM   #53
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
Is there something like this for the physics courses?
No if you mean the test and still no i think if you mean the study guide.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:21 AM   #54
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
from what i hear ap calculus covers 1z04 material
anyone know how much of 1zz5 material it also covers?
AP Calculus, according to what one of my house mates who took it in high school said, should cover a big chunk of 1ZZ5 too. A lot of 1ZZ5 is intro to integration, which I believe the AP courses cover. If you've covered matrices and determinants, then you've probably covered the rest of it too. Aside from that, it's polar coordinates and parametric equations with a few sort of complicated things thrown in (Graham-Schmidt Orthogonalization process and subspaces).

camais says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:53 AM   #55
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
No if you mean the test and still no i think if you mean the study guide.
It was for the study guide. But, how is first year Physics and Chem?
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:59 AM   #56
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

first year eng. wasn't hard. If you do moderate amounts of work, you can do pretty well. It really depends on your own way of studying and whatnot. The only difficulty is the number of assignments, and the fact that first year is open and so it tests you on a lot of subjects, some of which may not exactly be your greatest strengths.

And yes, there are drops outs. A considerable amount, but aside from those who fail to maintain the grades, there are also quite a few who just opt out for a different program.

And on a final note;
If you're a first year eng student, be sure to take Econ 1B03 (and you might as well take the 1BB3 just to get it out of the way in later years) if you're interested in going the Engineering & Management route. You'd be surprised how many people didn't realize the options available to them when picking their electives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
It was for the study guide. But, how is first year Physics and Chem?
Chem was actually pretty good I believe for our specific year (correct me if I'm wrong). Physics 1D03 wasn't bad, but most people got killed on 1E03. Not sure if it was only the difficulty, but the fact that it's not all that you make it out to be.

Last edited by RoyK : 08-25-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:21 AM   #57
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Chem was actually pretty good I believe for our specific year (correct me if I'm wrong). Physics 1D03 wasn't bad, but most people got killed on 1E03. Not sure if it was only the difficulty, but the fact that it's not all that you make it out to be.
lol, I actually found chem easier in every single way than high school chem, even though it turned out to be my second lowest mark (I blame my crappy lab TA because I did very well in both tests and probably the exam).

Physics 1D03 also wasn't bad. Most people probably found 1E03 hard because they didn't do the homework. It's not as "intuitive" as 1D03, so you can easily get by with high school knowledge.
Old 08-25-2009 at 08:33 AM   #58
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvan1 View Post
thats interesting, cause one of my friends got into elec with a 5..

Old 08-25-2009 at 08:58 AM   #59
BlakeM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, I actually found chem easier in every single way than high school chem, even though it turned out to be my second lowest mark (I blame my crappy lab TA because I did very well in both tests and probably the exam).

Physics 1D03 also wasn't bad. Most people probably found 1E03 hard because they didn't do the homework. It's not as "intuitive" as 1D03, so you can easily get by with high school knowledge.
I second the chemistry being easier. I had a good teacher in Gr. 12, and going into chem, I honestly can't remember really learning anything until last few weeks. Easy 10, and thats with me being super incompetent in labs.