MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
what was this year comp eng cut off mark?? hellrise First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-02-2010 03:14 PM
Second Year Program Admission Results AnthraX Academics 15 05-20-2010 10:11 PM
How are TAs supposed to mark you - based on your year or based on the course year? Kathy2 Academics 13 10-21-2009 01:53 AM
The Results Are In Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2008 08:16 PM

What to do next year, mark results

Old 05-23-2012 at 05:07 AM   #1
adeeb

Liked: 1 Time

What to do next year, mark results
Hello,

I am a first year engineering student and I found out I did not want to do engineering as soon as I started uni,

I tried transferring into business

My marks just came out and it says i got 3.1 gpa
I got 4 Fs and
1 B-
2 C+
1 C
2 C-

RESULTS: NOT ELIGIBLE TO CONTINUE IN ENGINEERING, MAY CONTINUE AS IRR
EGULAR ON ACADEMIC PROBATION TO QUALIFY FOR ANOTHER FACULTY.
CUMULATIVE AVERAGE: 3.1/031 UNITS
SESSIONAL AVERAGE: 3.1/031 UNITS

And these were the 4 streams that I tried going into for second year

REGISTRATION FOR SEP12-APR13
NOT ACCEPTED
B.A. , ECON
B ENG , CIV ENG CO-OP
N/A , BUSINESS 1
B COM , COMMERCE

so what does this mean for me? whats going to happen to me now?

what does irregular student mean?

any help on what I can do will be appreciated

Thx
Old 05-23-2012 at 05:51 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The requirement to enter a level 2 Eng. program is a 4.0 from all Eng I subjects.

If you wish to transfer to business, your best bet would be to make an appointment ASAP with Sally Williams to discuss your options of transferring / continuing.

If you wish to continue engineering, you can apply for a reinstatement. You basically write a letter to the Dean of Engineering explaining why you did so poorly and ask for a second chance. If granted, your marks will be wiped and you will be given a second chance to retake Eng I again. (Note, you may have to wait a year before starting school again). If you try to transfer to business, I'm pretty sure you are transferring to Level I Business (not sure if your other marks will stay on your transcript or a reinstatement applies)

Irregular student may mean you don't have the requirements for those programs in terms of courses taken or required average
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:21 AM   #3
adeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
The requirement to enter a level 2 Eng. program is a 4.0 from all Eng I subjects.

If you wish to transfer to business, your best bet would be to make an appointment ASAP with Sally Williams to discuss your options of transferring / continuing.

If you wish to continue engineering, you can apply for a reinstatement. You basically write a letter to the Dean of Engineering explaining why you did so poorly and ask for a second chance. If granted, your marks will be wiped and you will be given a second chance to retake Eng I again. (Note, you may have to wait a year before starting school again). If you try to transfer to business, I'm pretty sure you are transferring to Level I Business (not sure if your other marks will stay on your transcript or a reinstatement applies)

Irregular student may mean you don't have the requirements for those programs in terms of courses taken or required average
Yes, I know If I go into business I will be year 1 and I dont mind, but I tried talking to them and they say u need a 7.0 to transfer from eng into business?

I have ok marks i just have 4 Fs because of math and physics and programming
my other marks are 2 C+ and 1 B- 1C and 2 C-

there ok marks I just hate physics and programming and only reason i am in eng is because of my dad

what should I do, I really want to go into business, I even have a business project that I work on by my self
its a small business atm

so If I am an irregular student does that mean I am not in a program im just in uni??
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:38 AM   #4
Commie85071
Account Locked

Liked: 26 Times

you can't transfer into Business 1 without meeting the minimum 7 gpa requirement. The purpose of being irregular is so you can join another faculty. You are going to come back, part of no official faculty/program.
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:41 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Interesting, I thought the 7.0 was for level 2 business....
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:47 AM   #6
Commie85071
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Interesting, I thought the 7.0 was for level 2 business....
when i transferred from life sci, I spoke to Laurie Hill. According to her transferring into Business 1/2 requires a min 7 average.
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:53 AM   #7
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

So do students need a 7 SA or CA to stay in business? For Engineering after level 2, do we need to maintain a minimum 4 SA for 3rd year or a 4 CA??
Old 05-23-2012 at 06:57 AM   #8
Commie85071
Account Locked

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...12/pg1186.html
this is where most of the academic regulations are found. OP, transferring is going to be difficult with your current marks. Try applying for reinstatement towards Business 1.

adeeb says thanks to Commie85071 for this post.
Old 05-23-2012 at 07:01 AM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
So do students need a 7 SA or CA to stay in business? For Engineering after level 2, do we need to maintain a minimum 4 SA for 3rd year or a 4 CA??
4 Cumulative Average
Old 05-23-2012 at 07:24 AM   #10
adeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie85071 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...12/pg1186.html
this is where most of the academic regulations are found. OP, transferring is going to be difficult with your current marks. Try applying for reinstatement towards Business 1.
Can I apply for reinstatement towards business 1 even though I was a first year Eng student?

about being irregular or what ever it was called,

like I can just take courses, any courses? and then what next can i go to business after it or eng?

what u guys recommend i do in my case?
Old 05-23-2012 at 10:21 AM   #11
adeeb

also can i as eng apply for reinstatement into commerce even though i am still allowed to continue at mac?
Old 05-23-2012 at 10:40 AM   #12
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post
Can I apply for reinstatement towards business 1 even though I was a first year Eng student?

about being irregular or what ever it was called,

like I can just take courses, any courses? and then what next can i go to business after it or eng?

what u guys recommend i do in my case?
you need at least a 3.5 CGPA to transfer to Soc Sci or Humanities, since you have a GPA below 3.5, you cannot transfer into any program for the upcoming year (not sure about reinstatement into first year again). as an irregular student you can take electives courses or courses without prerequisites/restrictions (30 Units) next year and boost your GPA to transfer into another program for Sept 2013 (Ex: Econ, Psych, English, Sociology, Religion, Phiolosphy, etc...)

As for for applying for an reinstatement into first year Business, no one on macinsiders can give you the right answer. call/email the Business advisors or the manager; Benoit Chapdelaine to view your options.

here's the link: http://degroote.mcmaster.ca/ug/register.html
(look on the right-hand side for the info)

so basically your options are to take electives next year and transfer into another program for Sept 2013 or reapply for reinstatement to a first-year program if allowed by the specific faculty.

Good Luck.

Last edited by icecubz : 05-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.

adeeb says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 05-23-2012 at 10:48 AM   #13
adeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
you need at least a 3.5 CGPA to transfer to Soc Sci or Humanities, since you have a GPA below 3.5, you cannot transfer into any program for the upcoming year (not sure about reinstatement into first year again). as an irregular student you can take electives courses or courses without prerequisites/restrictions (30 Units) next year and boost your GPA to transfer into another program for Sept 2013 (Ex: Econ, Psych, English, Sociology, Religion, Phiolosphy, etc...)

As for for applying for an reinstatement into first year Business, no one on macinsiders can give you the right answer. call/email the Business advisors or the manager; Benoit Chapdelaine to view your options.

here's the link: http://degroote.mcmaster.ca/ug/register.html
(look on the right-hand side for the info)

so basically your options are to take electives next year and transfer into another program for Sept 2013 or reapply for reinstatement to a first-year program if allowed by the specific faculty.

Good Luck.
If I take electives next year can I apply to business instead of the examples u gave?
and would I use these electives as my electives for all my years at mac? so i wont be behind as much?
I already emailed Mr. Ben im still waiting for reply
and Im going to call Sally Williams and see what she can do
Old 05-23-2012 at 10:51 AM   #14
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post
If I take electives next year can I apply to business instead of the examples u gave?
and would I use these electives as my electives for all my years at mac? so i wont be behind as much?
I already emailed Mr. Ben im still waiting for reply
and Im going to call Sally Williams and see what she can do
http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug...IISept2012.pdf

take the courses listed in the link and maybe you can apply for a transfer to commerce 2 for next year (2013) via SOLAR. clear it with the business advisors.

adeeb says thanks to icecubz for this post.