MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

What to do for second year?

Old 04-02-2010 at 12:27 PM   #1
Failboat

Liked: 0 Times

What to do for second year?
Unless finals are aced, I won't have a 6.0 or higher average. Some questions I have are: When does mcmaster kick you out of university? If you fail a lot of courses, how do you reapply to get revenge on the courses you've failed? This would be for a the faculty of science. I've heard there are ways that if you don't get into a second year course, you can mimic the courses taken, and then reapply the next year, is this true? Is there a way to switch programs in third year, for example if in second year I went into some psychology course that doesn't require over a 6.0 average (is there one?) could I switch into an honors psychology course for an honors degree in the third year of studies? Thanks much if you reply, all these questions have been bugging me. I'm want to get nerdy on this shit
Old 04-02-2010 at 01:06 PM   #2
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

lol, dude you need to relax.
McMaster will only kick you out if you don't have a 3.0 average (3.0-3.5 means your on academic probation though)
If you fail a course and want to retake it I believe you just register for it again as usual, although i don't think you have to redo the labs if you dont want to, but you can always ask your academic advisor.
If you don't get in the program you want, just pretend you're in it anyways and shadow it, taking all the courses you need, then simply get your average up and apply for the program you want the following year.

Hope this helps

Failboat likes this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 02:05 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

ThatGuy more or less answered everything you need to know, but there is one or two things I'll add.

First, your major(s) and/or minor(s) are only considered final when you fill out your grad cards in fourth year. Until then you can change your program multiple times (I did it three times myself). You also don't declare your minor until you fill out your grad card, so that technically doesn't matter.

You may not be able to get into some classes without permission from the prof and/or department, but that is a question best answered by an academic advisor.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Failboat likes this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 03:58 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I just wanted to reitterate that ThatGuy is right. You don't need to worry! I didn't get into my program (Honours Pol Sci) until third year. Just take all the courses you would need to do if you were in the program, and apply for it next year.

You can always drop by your academic advisors office to talk to someone. They are very helpful and can give you lots of information.

Failboat likes this.
Old 04-05-2010 at 12:57 AM   #5
Failboat

so what if i didn't get into any program? do they just let me stay in whatever i'm in now? do you stay at mac in no program?
Old 04-05-2010 at 07:39 AM   #6
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

there's a program for everyone, for example in Science, if you don't get into any program because your average is too low, you get put into Science Level II. And then once you get your average up you just switch out of it

Failboat likes this.
Old 04-05-2010 at 06:52 PM   #7
Failboat

Thank you