MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Become a Community Advisor SSCLeadership MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-13-2012 12:09 PM
IRC Junior Advisor Position Available McMasterIRC MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-05-2011 07:21 PM
My talk with b.tech chairman and academic advisor (reinstatement issue$ gongshow Academics 0 06-08-2010 03:21 PM
Academic Advisor Ruggedman Academics 2 01-21-2010 01:03 PM

How do I talk to a course advisor/counsellor or something?

Old 09-04-2013 at 08:31 PM   #1
shawnar

Liked: 0 Times

How do I talk to a course advisor/counsellor or something?
I didn't know which section to post this in.

I recently found out I'm pregnant and starting my first year tomorrow. Who do I talk to so I can figure out what to do about school? Like some sort of course advisor or counsellor or something. I don't know who or where or anything. I don't even know who to ask on campus.

And also, is there a student medical clinic that I can go to for an appointment? I just moved here and don't have a doctor or anything.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013 at 08:52 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

1. There are academic advisors in each faculty, if you have concerns about courses, staying enrolled, etc meet with them. Contact whatever faculty you're in and ask about academic advising.
2. There is the Student Wellness Centre in the basement of the student centre http://wellness.mcmaster.ca/ they have general practitioners. They also offer personal counselling if you feel that would be beneficial to you.

Good luck!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-04-2013 at 09:06 PM   #3
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

To reiterate the previous post, I would highly recommend that you see a doctor in the basement in the student centre ASAP, who might refer you to a psychiatrist-which I believe also works in the student wellness centre, and a counsellor/psychologist. You should also start seeing an obstetrician (sooner rather than later depending on how you want to proceed with things).
Also (and don't answer this if you're not comfortable doing so) how did you confirm that you are pregnant? Was it a simple pregnancy test? Did you get an ultrasound? I ask this b/c pregnancy tests can sometimes be inaccurate, which is why its important to see a doctor ASAP to confirm the pregnancy.
Also, I don't know if you informed your parents about this, but I would recommend doing so, unless in your judgement telling them would somehow exacerbate and worsen the circumstances beyond repair.
I hope everything works out well for you.
Old 09-04-2013 at 09:42 PM   #4
shawnar

Yeah I really want to see a doctor ASAP. I'm 5 weeks and haven't yet because I haven't been able to find one where I can see them see (all a 2 week wait). I don't know if I need a referral to an OB or can just go see one. I have to find that out when I see a doctor. Do you know if there is a long wait time to see a doc?

I took 6 pregnancy tests which all came back positive. And I've been having symptoms. I'm 99% sure that I am. I just need that final confirmation from a doctor, but I know I am. I will tell them eventually but not yet. The reaction won't be good and I don't need extra stress from that right now.
Old 09-04-2013 at 09:43 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

For issues with course planning and whatnot, you should definitely see an academic advisor for your faculty. Google and/or your faculty website should have the contact information.

Edit: The wait times to see a doctor are usually really good at campus health. Often you can see a doctor same day or next day. They might be more busy in the first weeks of September, but it's usually really good.

shawnar says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-04-2013 at 09:57 PM   #6
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I recommend visiting The Hamilton Midwives downtown - you'll find that it's much more flexible and friendly than an obstetrician. I'm glad you're thinking of your academic future. If you have any questions or anything, I have a two year old and a full course load, I'd be happy to give any help or advice you need. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2013 at 09:59 PM   #7
shawnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
I recommend visiting The Hamilton Midwives downtown - you'll find that it's much more flexible and friendly than an obstetrician. I'm glad you're thinking of your academic future. If you have any questions or anything, I have a two year old and a full course load, I'd be happy to give any help or advice you need. Good luck!
I've been considering that actually. They are right around the corner from me. I'm just don't know who I feel more comfortable with, even though they have a lot of training too. Thanks for the offer too, I might take you up on that!
Old 09-04-2013 at 10:05 PM   #8
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Midwives have actually been proven in multiple studies to be better for non-high risk pregnancies and births AND if there are any problems they won't hesitate to transfer care to a qualified obstetrician (mine was almost transferred because they thought my son was going to be HUGE, but they just gave the ob on call at the hospital a heads up in the end because everything seemed to be fine). Having had experiences with both an OB and a team of midwives, I would recommend the midwives every time. Your appointments will be much more relaxed and they spend more time caring for you as well as your baby, during and after your pregnancy.
If you're just five weeks now, you wouldn't be due until May and could most likely complete your first year without problems and possibly return again in the fall - McMaster does have day care available for students and I've found professors and other students to be very accommodating.
Old 09-04-2013 at 10:20 PM   #9
shawnar

I'll try and get an appointment with the midwives and see how it goes. I'm sure my anxiety about it will get better once I actually talk to them. I feel like they would be more accommodating to my needs and the birth plan would go more how I want it.

From what I've figured out I'm due about May 8. So I might be able to do the full year, I'd really like to. But I'm a bit worried about being so pregnant during finals and possibly going into labour early and missing some/all of them. I'm hoping to return in the fall but from what I've read daycares don't take babies until they are 6 months. I might be wrong though about that, I haven't spent to much time figuring that out.
Old 09-06-2013 at 06:55 AM   #10
doniiboo

Liked: 5 Times

Hey

I'm in first year and I have a 16 month old daughter. I was studying previously and was in the same situation as you. I found out I was pregnant in September and my daughter was born May 2nd so I was able to complete my studies. This is going to be a really challenging time for you trying to juggle everything as well as just being so tired! But you will get through it if anything, the fact that I was pregnant made me work so much harder on my assignments because there was no time for failure. I'm totally here if you want to talk or anything congratulations and good luck

ashleighp, britb, starfish like this.
Old 09-06-2013 at 09:49 AM   #11
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

The school can absolutely make accommodations for your exams - usually writing a different one in June. A couple of other students with young children and I are trying to start a babysitting cooperative on campus so that we can all take turns watching each other's children during classes and exams - that might be an option for you coming back next September or you could take a year off to enjoy your little one.
Old 09-06-2013 at 09:48 PM   #12
doniiboo

Liked: 5 Times

Also, just thought I'd mention, some day cares take children from as little as 3 months, which would be just in time for you to return to uni in September if you're due in May