MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles debit cjdzl Academics 5 09-07-2010 08:14 PM
Titles Buyback Matthew K Academics 10 01-14-2010 06:09 PM
how to buy books on titles??? mehtad5 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-28-2009 11:18 PM
Titles! ~*Sara*~ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-09-2009 09:05 PM
We can use debit at Titles right? kenvin100 Academics 6 09-06-2008 07:10 PM

How do we use titles ?

Old 08-07-2011 at 02:09 PM   #1
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

How do we use titles ?
I was checking titles and i found that Biology 1M03 has 5 listings. Do we actually by all 5 books ?
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:40 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I have added notes on the picture read them all

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Buddastotle says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.

msms likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:46 PM   #3
msms

Liked: 6 Times

It depends. They have just listed the books separately and packaged as 5 individual items so it looks like you have to buy 5 things, but you don't.

If you're taking Bio 1a03 also this year, then I would suggest buying the package with both volumes and study guide (the last one on the list) because it will be cheaper instead of buying the books for both courses separately.

So if you buy that one, you would only need to buy the i clicker which would be used for many of your first year courses anyways, and maybe you may need to buy how humans evolved, but wait till after class starts because your prof might decide that you aren't going to use it and so, you wouldn't have to buy that either.

IqzFendi says thanks to msms for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:51 PM   #4
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by msms View Post
It depends. They have just listed the books separately and packaged as 5 individual items so it looks like you have to buy 5 things, but you don't.

If you're taking Bio 1a03 also this year, then I would suggest buying the package with both volumes and study guide (the last one on the list) because it will be cheaper instead of buying the books for both courses separately.

So if you buy that one, you would only need to buy the i clicker which would be used for many of your first year courses anyways, and maybe you may need to buy how humans evolved, but wait till after class starts because your prof might decide that you aren't going to use it and so, you wouldn't have to buy that either.
Another thing I'd like to add is that I don't think they stock the two books together in the "main" Titles store which is closest to the student centre. They sell them separately, I believe. They sell it at the Tank in the basement of TSH.
Old 08-07-2011 at 03:47 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Another thing I'd like to add is that I don't think they stock the two books together in the "main" Titles store which is closest to the student centre. They sell them separately, I believe. They sell it at the Tank in the basement of TSH.
They've always sold them side-by-side in the main Titles store in the past. The Tank is where upper year books are.

L'Étoile, Mahes all say thanks to nerual for this post.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 08-07-2011 at 03:54 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/t...ere-books.html
Old 08-07-2011 at 04:12 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Study guide is optional.. I suggest you split the cost between 3 friends if ya can.

The '(2 book)' is a stand-alone book for bio 1m03... If you're not taking 1m03, don't buy it, but if you are, the better option is to buy the '(3 book)' package that includes this, and the first term (1a03) book.

How Humans Evolved is a seperate book which you may or may not want to buy (decent book).

I'd buy the 3 pack for sure, unless you can find the previous edition (cheaper, and the content is not that much different from the current edition).

Buy any of these books internationally if you can (ebay, etc).
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:19 PM   #8
Nuelonas

hell it's too confusing
I think i'll wait till classes to start to know what books we need !!

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:21 PM   #9
Nuelonas

Is the study guide that useless ?
Old 08-18-2011 at 06:06 PM   #10
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
If it is listed as a first year book it will be in the Main Bookstore.

A couple of points to remember when buying books.
  • Always check the course syllabus to see what books you need - when Titles lists books separately and in packages what they are doing isn't trying to make it look like you need to buy all the books rather giving you different options.
  • It is best to attend the first class before buying your books. This way you can get clarity on which books you need and/or you never know... you may decide that you want to drop the course.
  • The website will list if a book is Optional or Required - you should take note of this and make your decisions accordingly. It's always a good idea to ask other students what their experience was.
  • Read the refund policy. If you use a book it is considered used and we can't refund it for the full price. http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/i...nd-policy.html
  • Don't bogart books. When you buy books "just in case" and return them later it costs between $10 and $15 for the Bookstore to send that book back to the publisher.
  • Remember that revenue generated from the Bookstore go towards funding student services. Last year the Bookstore contributed $1.25 million towards student success.