Buyback questions sinthusized Academics 6 04-22-2010 03:52 PM
Book Buyback cowpuppy General Discussion 1 09-15-2009 09:53 AM
Book Buyback EXTENDED Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-01-2007 12:50 PM

Titles Buyback

Old 01-13-2010 at 09:51 PM   #1
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Titles Buyback
Do they only buy back new textbooks? or Can we sell back used books as well?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010 at 09:55 PM   #2
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

You can sell any textbook in any condition (as long as it's not in pieces). What really matters though is if there is a high enough demand for your textbook. If, for example, your text is out of edition, then you're out of luck. Otherwise, it's worth a shot.

Matthew K says thanks to myoozik for this post.
Old 01-13-2010 at 09:57 PM   #3
Matthew K

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:05 PM   #4
Matthew K

Sorry, one more question...how long is the buyback period? Is it all throughout the semester?
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:06 PM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

you can get a quote for a book you want to sell online

http://icbb.sellmytextbooks. org/me...cfm?index=SELL

Matthew K says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:16 PM   #6
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Sorry, one more question...how long is the buyback period? Is it all throughout the semester?
It goes til January 23 =)
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/buybackhours.htm

Matthew K says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:44 PM   #7
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Actually, it goes on through the entire semester.

During the rush Titles has "Extended Buyback Hours" to meet the high demand of students selling books after Term 1. This goes on til the 23rd.

However, after that until the end of the term, Buyback happens on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 AM to 3 PM.

Ivan Q., Matthew K all say thanks to myoozik for this post.
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:47 PM   #8
Matthew K

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2010 at 11:40 PM   #9
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Thanks for posting that link Sinthu! I can't believe that one of my books is worth $2.25 now... lol

Old 01-14-2010 at 12:28 PM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Actually I'm pretty sure Titles just buys your book for much less than it is worth, probably so they can make more profit off selling used books. That is one good reason to try to find someone who is willing to buy your used book!
Old 01-14-2010 at 06:09 PM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure Titles just buys your book for much less than it is worth, probably so they can make more profit off selling used books. That is one good reason to try to find someone who is willing to buy your used book!
Agreed.

When selling to fellow McMaster students you can generally ask for just a bit less than the current used asking price at Titles for the book and you can get it. If I'm feeling generous and still feel its a decent enough amount of cash back I'll sell it for even less so its a good deal. Its good karma imo.

Good places for selling used books are Macinsiders marketplace, Facebook marketplace and even on the Titles website, there's an option to list a used book for sale and provide your e-mail and asking price, other students can look for their book, look at the list of asking prices and e-mail whoever they'd like to buy from. I've bought off people from both the Titles site and the Facebook marketplace.

Also other students will generally do the same thing, I've gotten some great deals on used texts from fellow McMaster students, way more reasonable than the prices at Titles for new stock.

I've done Titles buyback for some books and gotten some nice cash in the past but its not always the best option.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-14-2010 at 06:11 PM.