Book Buyback cowpuppy General Discussion 1 09-15-2009 09:53 AM
Titles Book List?? feonateresa General Discussion 27 07-05-2009 12:56 AM
Book Buyback EXTENDED Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-01-2007 12:50 PM

Titles book buyback

Old 08-26-2010 at 11:04 AM   #1
Theexe1

Liked: 0 Times

Titles book buyback
I forgot to do the buyback last term, so I still have those books, can I still sell them back?
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:06 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theexe1 View Post
I forgot to do the buyback last term, so I still have those books, can I still sell them back?
Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you can, but it depends on demand. You are better off trying to sell them to other students personally.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:10 AM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Thanks.
You may check if titles is accepting your materials for buy back and the price on this link

http://icbb.sellmytextbooks. org/me...cfm?index=SELL

ikantsepll says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:30 AM   #4
Theexe1

Liked: 0 Times

Oh come on it says all my books are not in demand. I find that hard to beleive.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:38 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Well, Titles just finished ordering all the books for term 1... So it's not surprising they don't need any books. Try again in November/December when term 2 book lists are sent in.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:53 AM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Try putting them on amazon, I ended up selling a textbook on there for $80 (originally 110) even though McMaster wasn't buying it back.

Old 09-07-2010 at 08:20 PM   #7
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
The trick is to keep checking - demand fluctuates all the time and it is starting to peak around now - if the books are a bit older Titles may not be buying them because the Instructor has requested the new edition.

You may get lucky and another school in Canada needs the book however the price you get for the books will be way lower as the Bookstore has to pay to have it shipped.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:56 PM   #8
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
The trick is to keep checking - demand fluctuates all the time and it is starting to peak around now - if the books are a bit older Titles may not be buying them because the Instructor has requested the new edition.

You may get lucky and another school in Canada needs the book however the price you get for the books will be way lower as the Bookstore has to pay to have it shipped.
never sell back to titles, its a [email protected]#$ing rip off what they pay for it
ie. after first year, the chemistry textbook that we bought for 140$ or watever it was they were buying for like 5$.
hurah
Old 09-08-2010 at 08:21 AM   #9
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
never sell back to titles, its a [email protected]#$ing rip off what they pay for it
ie. after first year, the chemistry textbook that we bought for 140$ or watever it was they were buying for like 5$.
hurah

When the price is low like that it is because the demand is not there close to home. You have to consider that the Bookstore has to pay the people who take back your books, organize them, pack them & ship them. Then if the book is only in demand in BC or Texas the Bookstore has to pay to have it shipped.

That's why the price is so low - it's not that the Bookstore is ripping you off or making a profit off of students - the Bookstore works on a cost recovery basis - no money from your tuition or fee go to cover any bookstore costs - in fact we raise money to support student affairs programs and services.

You're definitely right in that you are better off selling student to student which is why we have the classifies board. You get more money and whoever buys the book will get it cheaper.

Understandably it is [email protected]#$ing frustrating when a $140 book is only worth $5 making it easy to make sweeping statements like the Bookstore is a rip off. You have to remember that there are a lot of other factors to running a business to consider. Trust me... no one over here is getting rich.
Old 09-16-2010 at 05:42 PM   #10
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Will Titles takes books back if you've highlighted in them? When I saw a used book it had highlighting but I don't know if I should because I plan on selling it back to them in the future :S
Old 09-16-2010 at 05:54 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
Will Titles takes books back if you've highlighted in them? When I saw a used book it had highlighting but I don't know if I should because I plan on selling it back to them in the future :S
yes they do take back books with highlighting
Old 09-16-2010 at 05:56 PM   #12
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Sweet, now I can do as I please with it
Old 09-21-2010 at 01:54 PM   #13
collymolotov

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
When the price is low like that it is because the demand is not there close to home. You have to consider that the Bookstore has to pay the people who take back your books, organize them, pack them & ship them. Then if the book is only in demand in BC or Texas the Bookstore has to pay to have it shipped.

That's why the price is so low - it's not that the Bookstore is ripping you off or making a profit off of students - the Bookstore works on a cost recovery basis - no money from your tuition or fee go to cover any bookstore costs - in fact we raise money to support student affairs programs and services.

You're definitely right in that you are better off selling student to student which is why we have the classifies board. You get more money and whoever buys the book will get it cheaper.

Understandably it is [email protected]#$ing frustrating when a $140 book is only worth $5 making it easy to make sweeping statements like the Bookstore is a rip off. You have to remember that there are a lot of other factors to running a business to consider. Trust me... no one over here is getting rich.
Bullshit. They buy the book back for pennies, and then sell it the next day at 500% markup. Buy it back for $3.80, resell at $65. that kind of profit margin is disgusting. I'd rather burn my book in front of them than take that insulting pocket change from them.

Whats really ****ing frustrating is that the textbook publishing industry goes out of its way to prevent books being made available as ebooks or .pdf files for a fraction of the price. our illustrious student-puppet-regime also is failing to address this big obvious question. were books available this way, industry justifications for outrageous prices (low/niche demand, minimum print runs, out of print, new edition...) would be irrelevent and books could cost reasonable prices just like anything at the bookstore.

You want to do a real buyback? Go to the bookstore or one of those temp stores they set up for first year students, bring your books and wait for someone to try and buy what you have from the register. go up and hawk your wares in front of the salesperson for a 50% discounted rate. I do this every year, it works, and I love to see the confused and angry looks on their faces when I do it. what are they gonna do, call the cops? trust me, you'll offload your cargo quickly, profitably and make sure this glorified pyramid scheme called University doesn't milk an additional dime from you.

As students, we need to demand that our profs stop pushing pointless reading materials on us. Most of my classes I never buy books but instead pirate them where available. I have never had a problem with assignments or final exams. I also make a point of anonymously writing to my profs when I feel their reading choices are self-serving or pointless, or my required purchase of them took money away from my very limited budget for actual necessities such as food, electricity, property taxes or my mortgage. Other students need to get militant on this issue (both by demanding ebook texts from publishers, respectful buyback prices and more responsible textbook choices from profs) or else all your gonna do is complain and your kids will get triple-****ed from the trend by the time it comes their turn to feed the Beast.

t.oszust likes this.
Old 09-21-2010 at 03:44 PM   #14
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Amen Brother

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine