MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats a NO-SHOW penalty? lalalola2011 Academics 5 09-03-2012 12:48 AM
Captial Punishment - The Death Penalty Chris23 General Discussion 16 07-26-2012 01:10 AM
Financial penalty for cancelling course Mr.Prodigy Academics 2 05-22-2012 07:47 PM
Financial Penalty - HOW Much is it?? Davok First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 05-15-2011 12:35 PM

Do you believe in the death penalty?

Old 02-10-2013 at 11:20 PM   #1
denaki

Liked: 0 Times

Old 02-10-2013 at 11:23 PM   #2
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I'm pretty sure there is a troll out there starting the most controversial threads possible on MI just to see the result and hope for possible flame wars.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:24 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Is that such a bad thing? I think a lot of people like a good debate once in awhile

Animosity, biglandfarm like this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:25 PM   #4
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

If there's unquestionable proof that the criminal did something horrifying, e.g., serial rapists, serial killers and human mutilation, then yes, I'd rather not pay my tax dollars towards something that will provide warm food, a bed and a TV for the rest of their lives.

Killing them is the end of it and that frees up space (jail cells) for those who can be rehabilitated and reintegrated back into society, e.g., alcoholics, drug users and thieves.

Old 02-10-2013 at 11:28 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
If there's unquestionable proof that the criminal did something horrifying, e.g., serial rapists, serial killers and human mutilation, then yes, I'd rather not pay my tax dollars towards something that will provide warm food, a bed and a TV for the rest of their lives.
I'm with you on this one. I'd like to see counter arguments so we can get this thread started.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:31 PM   #6
rpg51
Elite Member

I personally don't believe in capital punishment for any crime. If we kill someone for killing other people, we are no better than they are. I also believe that some people can be rehabilitated. This is synonymous with playing God. Revenge is never the answer.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:32 PM   #7
Animosity

Liked: 46 Times

Our legal system is pretty complicated, which would make giving people the death penalty more expensive and time consuming than you might expect. I think the only real evidence that is 100%, or as good as in realistic cases, is a confession. I suppose with serial killers you could have a survivor and a house full of evidence which was the case with Dahmer, and that would do as well, but he also confessed anyways. On the other hand, it's been said that most offenders become re-offenders, and that the lives saved from using the death penalty outweigh the deaths of the innocents that die by it.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:36 PM   #8
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Here is a question that will affect most law abiding citizens that would never be faced with death penalty or similar:

Which would cost more of your tax money: death penalty or life in prison?
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:38 PM   #9
rpg51
Elite Member

Quote:

Killing them is the end of it and that frees up space (jail cells) for those who can be rehabilitated and reintegrated back into society, e.g., alcoholics, drug users and thieves.
How do you know they can't be rehabilitated? I am sure it's hard to believe that they can't be because they killed someone but there is a possibility. How is legislated killing any different from what they did? It's not our right to end ANYBODY'S life. And stop this bullshit about the cost of keeping people in jail this shouldn't be seen as an economic issue in any sense. It's a purely moral issue
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:39 PM   #10
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

The death penalty isn’t an effective way to prevent crime. if someone has a mental illness causing them to act out negatively, they will do whatever they want (they don't care that they might die). Also, there is always the risk of executing innocent people. If someone is convicted and later found innocent you can release him/her from prison, but not from the grave.
And what if you have a bad lawyer b/c you are poor and you end up getting the death penalty even though your crime wasn't that bad. Rich people can have good excellent lawyers and can get out of a worst situation.

jim1, rpg51 like this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:41 PM   #11
Animosity

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
Here is a question that will affect most law abiding citizens that would never be faced with death penalty or similar:

Which would cost more of your tax money: death penalty or life in prison?
You might be surprised: http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

To anyone that doesn't want to click that,
"The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases." is the first line.

biglandfarm, Ponyo like this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:44 PM   #12
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I personally don't believe in capital punishment for any crime. If we kill someone for killing other people, we are no better than they are. I also believe that some people can be rehabilitated. This is synonymous with playing God. Revenge is never the answer.
My argument:

Some dude lured your daughter, raped her until her body gave in and left to die. To top it off, he decided to have an intercourse with the corpse and for the heck of it, he also decided to cut your daughter up in pieces for grub.

He confessed to all of it for a sentence reduction, he served time and eventually walked free.

My question:

Do you believe in capital punishment now?
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:50 PM   #13
rpg51
Elite Member

Quote:
My argument:

Some dude lured your daughter, raped her until her body gave in and left to die. To top it off, he decided to have an intercourse with the corpse and for the heck of it, he also decided to cut your daughter up in pieces for grub.

He confessed to all of it for a sentence reduction, he served time and eventually walked free.

My question:

Fuck No. I would be no better than him if I were to kill him. As much as it hurts I don't wish death upon ANYONE. Killing him would not bring my daughter back and it won't give me any peace either.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:51 PM   #14
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
My argument:

My question:

I think you should see someone. That's pretty grim, man.

Ponyo, rpg51, Unknown111 like this.
Old 02-10-2013 at 11:53 PM   #15
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post
You might be surprised: http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

To anyone that doesn't want to click that,
"The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases." is the first line.
precisely, I believe for every death penalty a legal account needs to be opened for the deceased for at least few decades, If I remember correctly. And who pays for the legal teams? the tax payers

i dont much care for thugs that deserve to get court martialed. However two things stop me from being pro death penalty

1. you can never be absolute sure
2. its costing me money