MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats a NO-SHOW penalty? lalalola2011 Academics 5 09-03-2012 12:48 AM
Captial Punishment - The Death Penalty Chris23 General Discussion 16 07-26-2012 01:10 AM
Financial penalty for cancelling course Mr.Prodigy Academics 2 05-22-2012 07:47 PM
Financial Penalty - HOW Much is it?? Davok First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 05-15-2011 12:35 PM

Do you believe in the death penalty?

Old 02-11-2013 at 08:04 PM   #31
Animosity

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
How do you know they can't be rehabilitated? I am sure it's hard to believe that they can't be because they killed someone but there is a possibility. How is legislated killing any different from what they did? It's not our right to end ANYBODY'S life. And stop this bullshit about the cost of keeping people in jail this shouldn't be seen as an economic issue in any sense. It's a purely moral issue
Often offenders become re-offenders because after they spend so long in prison they find that there is really nothing for them in the outside world, except crime.
Cost is always an important issue. If it cost your company a million dollars to build a car, but you could make your cars 100% safe, you would never make these cars, because no one could afford your cars. You don't think the cost is enough that it is an issue, which may be true, but if we were paying more then we made in tax revenue it would clearly be an issue.
Like I've said though, at present it costs more to kill them then to lock them up, but if you wanted to really rehabilitate them that might change, depending on what kind of programs you use. Unless you consider our current system to be properly rehabilitating criminals I suppose.
Old 02-11-2013 at 09:43 PM   #32
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
point is with enough torture, anyone will confess.
Reminds me of Chris Penn as Nice Guy Eddie in Reservoir Dogs:

"If you torture this man long enough he'll admit he started the God damn Chicago fire but that doesn't necessarily make it so!"

starfish likes this.
Old 02-11-2013 at 10:00 PM   #33
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I don't think these people that commit crimes on such serious charges ex. The Movie Theater shooting will be rehabilitated, even if they were said to be. They lost their right to be in normal society. Putting them back in society would be like giving a bank robber a job at the bank... It's hard to trust them, and they lost the right to normal society.