MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Make It Keenu Academics 11 03-27-2010 09:26 PM
How do I make a McMaster email? ph4ntastic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-09-2009 01:34 PM
First Year - make up courses BT23 Academics 31 07-13-2009 01:33 AM
Room Type Not Allocated on Payment Agreement Allan Residence & Housing 8 07-12-2008 07:05 AM

How do you make sure a donation is used for what it was allocated to at McMaster ?

Old 02-17-2010 at 05:17 PM   #1
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

How do you make sure a donation is used for what it was allocated to at McMaster ?
I've had a lot of time on my hands so I decided to look into a few things and realized a donation made for a particular purpose to McMaster about a year ago has still not been used for its intended purpose . How do I follow up on this to make sure it gets used correctly?
Old 02-17-2010 at 07:06 PM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

More details?

Was it a club, was it something else?
What can you prove?

There are many different scenarios, each depending on the circumstances.
Old 02-17-2010 at 08:13 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Well I am a left winger who subscribes to conspiracy theories but there is ample evidence that alot of your donations don't reach their intended destinations(especial ly if they are for international/third world causes) due to a large number of reasons.

Even then United nations and Red Cross for example have huge overhead costs that take away a decent percentage. Then there is the dead weight loss associated with the way they distribute it. Also as a random example Red Cross still hasn't spent 1 Billion out of the 2-3 Billion dollar Tsunami Relief fund, its just lying there.

Therefore I usually only give charity to small organizations with local interests(eg: Soup Kitchens) rather then Red Cross.

[/rant]

On topic though ditto what Rohan said.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-17-2010 at 11:04 PM   #4
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

It was a donation made by an alumni to fix a historic item in Wallingford which is still not fixed . The donor got their tax receipt last year .
Old 02-18-2010 at 01:16 AM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
It was a donation made by an alumni to fix a historic item in Wallingford which is still not fixed . The donor got their tax receipt last year .
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rohan remember this? o_o?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-18-2010 at 02:39 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Huzaifa I don't think its what you're thinking of.

That should be the IRC's domain. Get ahold of the Wallingford IRC Building rep, or go to IRC proper.
Old 02-18-2010 at 02:53 PM   #7
deadpool
X-Man

I should add:

There is a high likelihood that the IRC rep will have no idea what to do, but the historical stuff in buildings are supposed to be maintained by the IRC, since the IRC predates RLS by decades (IRC was formed in the early 20th century, while RLS was established in 2003 in response to changing of high school curriculum etc.).
Old 02-18-2010 at 03:49 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I have no idea about donations, but maybe it's possible that the donation was put in a "Fix Statue A" fund and the money is sitting there until there is enough donations to fix the statue? The donation would technically be put to use as it is sitting in the bank, which is why the person received the tax receipt ..?
Old 02-18-2010 at 04:33 PM   #9
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan10 View Post
I should add:

There is a high likelihood that the IRC rep will have no idea what to do, but the historical stuff in buildings are supposed to be maintained by the IRC, since the IRC predates RLS by decades (IRC was formed in the early 20th century, while RLS was established in 2003 in response to changing of high school curriculum etc.).
The physical condition of buildings (including historical items) is maintained entirely by Facility Services, not the IRC.

I was Wallingford Hall rep last year and the alumnus approached me about this issue. I directed it to our Facilities Consultation Committee last year and was told that they were still looking into someone who could fix it. As you can imagine, people who repair antique boats are not very easy to come by. Also, facilities had a lot of issues to deal with after the Brandon Fire last year which probably distracted them from fulfilling these requests.

I'll direct the issue to FCC again and let you know how it goes.
Old 02-18-2010
huzaifa47
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-18-2010 at 06:50 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

this is why you should never donate.

unless it's one of those donation lottery things. win-win
Old 02-18-2010 at 07:44 PM   #11
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
The physical condition of buildings (including historical items) is maintained entirely by Facility Services, not the IRC.

I was Wallingford Hall rep last year and the alumnus approached me about this issue. I directed it to our Facilities Consultation Committee last year and was told that they were still looking into someone who could fix it. As you can imagine, people who repair antique boats are not very easy to come by. Also, facilities had a lot of issues to deal with after the Brandon Fire last year which probably distracted them from fulfilling these requests.

I'll direct the issue to FCC again and let you know how it goes.
Hmm. This changed I guess. When I was in first year the IRC reps dealt with the historical stuff.
Old 02-24-2010 at 12:45 PM   #12
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

To update:

I talked to the Residence Facilities people today. They know the money is there for this, but cannot find anyone who will repair the ship. They would love to fix it but everyone they approach is unwilling to repair it, most likely because of how intricate the work would be and how delicate the ship is (my guess).

If you could find someone to fix it up they will gladly arrange it and pay, but right now they are at a loss as to where to go to get it done.

Hope that helps!