MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

Who do YOU think will win the US Election?

Old 11-07-2012 at 12:20 AM   #16
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
To say Obama is the lesser of two evils is a hugely false equivalence. Mitt Romney has flip-flopped on almost every single issue, had no definitive plan for for accounting for his proposed tax cuts, and has taken almost every tragedy over the election period to try to extract personal gain from. If it were Obama versus almost any other potential candidate, the 'lesser evil' banter can be arguably more true but... ah boy...
I sort of disagree.

Although Mitt Romney is certainly a repugnant human being, Obama is only slightly less dangerous.

For one thing, he's doubled down on all of Bush's civil liberties violations. He's continued to spy on his citizens and hold them indefinitely without trial or public presentation of evidence. His treatment of Bradley Manning has been appalling. He committed US forces to war in Libya without congressional approval despite the lack of an imminent threat to US security (sound like... oh, I dunno, Iraq much?). He is terrorizing innocent women and children in Pakistan with his drone war in North Waziristan, which has killed hundreds of innocents and made life a living hell for the survivors.

But worst of all, Obama has set a ridiculously dangerous precedent in passing a law that legalizes the extrajudicial killing of American citizens if so ordered by the president. Yes, he gave himself the power to kill his own people, no trial, no questions asked. This is extremely dangerous territory to be treading, and frankly it's embarrassing that people who (rightfully so) complained about Bush for 8 years can turn around and support Obama.

There were no good choices in this election, and could I have voted I would have voted third party.

eddiemurphy likes this.
Old 11-07-2012 at 12:31 AM   #17
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
To say Obama is the lesser of two evils is a hugely false equivalence. Mitt Romney has flip-flopped on almost every single issue, had no definitive plan for for accounting for his proposed tax cuts, and has taken almost every tragedy over the election period to try to extract personal gain from. If it were Obama versus almost any other potential candidate, the 'lesser evil' banter can be arguably more true but... ah boy...
First off, I said multiple evils... Haha, just kidding. But seriously, what I was getting at is that neither major candidate was suited for the job and will do everything they propose. Until the system is reworked, America is going to be stuck with two inadequate candidates to choose from. Thus, since Obama has a better track record and the experience, he's the lesser of two evils. Also, Romney just seems like a...word I probably shouldn't say on this forum.
That was my train of thought on this subject. Make of it what you will.

RyanC likes this.
Old 11-07-2012 at 12:49 AM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I sort of disagree.

Although Mitt Romney is certainly a repugnant human being, Obama is only slightly less dangerous.

For one thing, he's doubled down on all of Bush's civil liberties violations. He's continued to spy on his citizens and hold them indefinitely without trial or public presentation of evidence. His treatment of Bradley Manning has been appalling. He committed US forces to war in Libya without congressional approval despite the lack of an imminent threat to US security (sound like... oh, I dunno, Iraq much?). He is terrorizing innocent women and children in Pakistan with his drone war in North Waziristan, which has killed hundreds of innocents and made life a living hell for the survivors.

But worst of all, Obama has set a ridiculously dangerous precedent in passing a law that legalizes the extrajudicial killing of American citizens if so ordered by the president. Yes, he gave himself the power to kill his own people, no trial, no questions asked. This is extremely dangerous territory to be treading, and frankly it's embarrassing that people who (rightfully so) complained about Bush for 8 years can turn around and support Obama.

There were no good choices in this election, and could I have voted I would have voted third party.
While I agree with AUMF and targeted killings, I understand what you mean. I don't really know much about the drone situation, however.
Old 11-07-2012 at 10:07 AM   #19
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

This election was a joke...

I will simply point out that the majority of the rest of the world was in major support of Obama, according to many many polls. Had the world voted (let's assume that citizens from across the world would be voting for the benefit of themselves, and given that they are locationally spread out, their collective vote would benefit the world), Obama would have come out on top with a significant majority.

I can't believe Mitt was so close to winning...

jim1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2012 at 01:09 PM   #20
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Don't matter. The nation is divided again and Congress will be a gridlock again.
Old 11-07-2012 at 01:16 PM   #21
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Cudos to Kudos. and to allan, congress is divided again and the nation will be gridlocked. thank jesus we live in canada!
Old 11-07-2012 at 01:20 PM   #22
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

when are americans gonna realize september 11th was an inside job....
Old 11-07-2012 at 01:26 PM   #23
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
when are americans gonna realize september 11th was an inside job....
when they stop believing the moon landing actually happened.
Old 11-07-2012 at 03:54 PM   #24
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Barack to the future!
Old 12-06-2012 at 09:09 PM   #25
kyle.mccooey

Liked: 0 Times

To be honest, the republicans ran Mitt Romney the worst way possible. Mitt is not a hardcore right winger, he is a centrist. As his time as the Governor of Mass., he really brought both Democrats and Republicans to the bargaining table not polarized the Republicans like Barrack does. Barrack Obama, I am glad won the day but he lost the popular vote. Obama is really glad the electoral college system is in place otherwise we would be looking at a much different America today
Old 12-06-2012 at 09:42 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.mccooey View Post
To be honest, the republicans ran Mitt Romney the worst way possible. Mitt is not a hardcore right winger, he is a centrist. As his time as the Governor of Mass., he really brought both Democrats and Republicans to the bargaining table not polarized the Republicans like Barrack does. Barrack Obama, I am glad won the day but he lost the popular vote. Obama is really glad the electoral college system is in place otherwise we would be looking at a much different America today
Obama won the popular vote by 3%, or 3 million votes.

[moderated]

Obama is also regarded as highly centrist himself.. he often starts half way between centre and the Republican's wants, and can be seen as incredibly more of a 'reacher across the aisle'.
Old 01-07-2013 at 10:04 AM   #27
Laura148

Liked: 1 Time

It was an interesting election for sure
Old 01-22-2013 at 09:16 AM   #28
haleyye

Liked: 0 Times

Why people care bout America's election so much
Old 01-22-2013 at 10:15 AM   #29
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyye View Post
Why people care bout America's election so much
Because the political and economic decisions that will be made by the President and congress of the United States government WILL directly affect us here in Canada.
Old 01-22-2013 at 10:27 AM   #30
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Because the political and economic decisions that will be made by the President and congress of the United States government WILL directly affect us here in Canada.
I think that user cared more about getting a 5 post count so they could post/access the marketplace.