MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-17-2010 06:25 AM
Humanities Convocation ange.kwok Academics 2 06-03-2010 07:28 PM
Humanities?? De La Soul First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 05-31-2010 11:24 PM
Chris Erl for Humanities Rep on your SRA! c.erl General Discussion 10 10-22-2009 08:16 AM
Oh the HUMANITIES! DannyV Academics 6 08-03-2009 10:48 AM

What do you want from a Humanities/Soc Sci TA

Old 08-08-2010 at 09:08 AM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Okay, so I don't find out my class until September 7th when I have TA training (I think? )...I assume I'll be TA-ing a Canadian Studies class, though I may be get an English or Anthropology class since those were my undergrad degrees.

But I'd still like feedback (from above), and I have some new questions!

How do you guys learn best in tutorial? Is it discussion, or through examples (e.g. explaining the material in a way different than the text using parallel examples)?

What do you hate most about going to tutorial?

Do you feel your TAs should use multimedia in tutorials (e.g. PowerPoint).

Thanks!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-08-2010 at 09:23 AM   #17
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Okay, so I don't find out my class until September 7th when I have TA training (I think? )...I assume I'll be TA-ing a Canadian Studies class, though I may be get an English or Anthropology class since those were my undergrad degrees.

But I'd still like feedback (from above), and I have some new questions!

How do you guys learn best in tutorial? Is it discussion, or through examples (e.g. explaining the material in a way different than the text using parallel examples)? Both. Discussion is a good way to create understanding but some people say or ask stupid things. You can never use enough examples. The more students can relate things they are learning to stuff they already know the better they will do.

What do you hate most about going to tutorial? The times some of them are held. The inability of a TA to prevent from someone taking over the class and making it unproductive with their questions or comments (this happens too much in soc sci and humanities).

Do you feel your TAs should use multimedia in tutorials (e.g. PowerPoint). No. Discussion-based and interactive games are the best. The occasional video or film clip would work, but tutorial should be low-tech.

Thanks!
The answers are in bold.

lorend says thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 08-08-2010 at 09:31 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks!

How would you suggest steering the conversation away from people who are really overbearing/like to talk a lot?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-08-2010 at 11:38 AM   #19
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

What do you want from your TA? Like everyone else, someone who is interested in the material (or at least pretends to be interested), and is friendly, open, and approachable.

How do you feel you should be graded for participation? By attendance, if that. I had a tutorial that was worth 20% of my grade, but the tutorial itself was a waste of my time. We didn't cover anything worthwhile or that wasn't already adequately covered in lecture. I just found it frustrating, especially since there was a shift at my work that needed to be covered during that time, meaning I could've been making money instead of sitting in a tutorial that was useless to me. If you want to base it on more than attendance, I would suggest giving students the option of handing in a paragraph response to what they would've liked to say in tutorial or based on a reading (but only if they're in tutorial). I had a TA that did that, and it was great for students who were shy, and there was still plenty of discussion.

How should discussions of the course material work? I like open questions, and when the TA doesn't give their opinion on things unless it's to bring the discussion back on topic. I've found that opinionated TAs really stifle discussion because no one wants to disagree with them. I've also found it helpful when discussion for tutorial was always started with a simple, "Does anyone have any questions or need anything clarified?" Sometimes that was a good way of getting a discussion started on the course material!

What have you liked about past TAs? Friendly, available, on time, knew what the professor wanted and expected, and seemed to genuinely care that we did well. My favourite TA set up a study period for us the week before the exam at the Phoenix. It was awesome! We were able to help each other out and really accomplished a lot, while relaxing and having fun. Also, the more laid back the tutorial is run, the better. I prefer when TAs sit down and don't act like mini professors.

What have you disliked about past TAs? Just this past year I had the worst TA I've ever come across. He was rude to students, he would interrupt students and was always looking for very specific answers to his questions, and would tell students they were wrong if they didn't give him exactly what he wanted (this was for a theory course, where there isn't really too many right or wrong answers), and had no idea what the professor wanted, was looking for, or was even teaching us. He actually showed up for our first tutorial and lectured us about Goffman, when we weren't going to be talking about Goffman for another two weeks and were at that point learning about Mills. Suffice to say, no one in that class was impressed with him.

Also, don't act like you're better than the students because you're a graduate student. And I HATE it when no one answers a TAs question, so the TA says, "Fine, I'll just wait," or "Really? No one has anything they want to say or add?" Just move on. It's so condescending, and prevents people from wanting to answer even more. Either try asking the question another way, ask a leading question, start the discussion yourself, or move on.

How often should your TA respond to emails? Once a day. More often if they have time. I like it when TAs tell their students if they won't be able to respond as often.

How do you guys learn best in tutorial? Is it discussion, or through examples (e.g. explaining the material in a way different than the text using parallel examples)? I learn best from discussion, which sometimes leads to examples. I think it's best to ask if people have any questions about the topics covered in class, and if they answer yes, then maybe starting with an example. If no, then just go straight to discussion. The problem with examples, is that they sometimes lead to more questions, which can make the original concept more confusing and steer the discussion off topic.

What do you hate most about going to tutorial? I hate it when the tutorial goes over exactly what the professor talked about. It just seems like a waste of time. I think it's best when the TA either talks about something that the professor didn't talk about, or discusses the topics from lecture in a different way. If there are some students who really aren't understanding key concepts from lecture, I think it makes more sense for the TA to either set up an appointment with them to discuss it, or make it so that the students who are not struggling with that concept don't have to attend tutorial.

I hate it when TAs aren't prepared for tutorials! Know what the professor is teaching, know what they're focusing on, and know what the professor is hoping the class is taking from those topics. There's nothing more frustrating than having to attend tutorial, and finding that nothing from tutorial links back to the course, either as an essay topic, something in lecture, or on an exam. TAs and professors need to discuss course expectations and be on the same page.

I hate it when TAs either favour certain students, or allow certain students to take over the tutorial, either in discussion or by focusing on their questions. It makes it much harder for the other students to want to participate, relate to the material being presented in tutorial, and to come to the TA if they need help. When it comes to preventing certain students from taking over tutorial, I can only give one piece of advice that I picked up working with 11 and 12 year olds. After tutorial, if you can, try and ask a student who doesn't speak up much in tutorial what they thought about the material, the tutorial, or the course in general. When people think that the "leader" in the discussion cares about what they think, they're more likely to speak up in the future. It doesn't always work, but I've found that it works more often than not.

Do you feel your TAs should use multimedia in tutorials (e.g. PowerPoint). It depends on the format of the tutorial. I like PowerPoints, especially when leading a class, but I find they can really inhibit discussion. They come off as more formal and classroom-ish, instead of informal discussion. If you have to teach something, then I encourage the use of PowerPoint, but if you're just doing a discussion, then I say avoid it.

Most importantly, have fun! If you seem to have fun while teaching the material, the students will pick up on that and also have fun.

lorend says thanks to AlienSummer for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 08-08-2010 at 05:54 PM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Whoa. That was an explanation and a half, thanks!

Old 08-08-2010 at 08:47 PM   #21
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Haha, I didn't realize it was that long when I was typing it up. Obviously I have some strong opinions regarding TAs! I hope you found some of it at least a little helpful.
Old 08-08-2010 at 10:26 PM   #22
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post

What have you liked about past TAs? Friendly, available, on time, knew what the professor wanted and expected, and seemed to genuinely care that we did well. My favourite TA set up a study period for us the week before the exam at the Phoenix. It was awesome! We were able to help each other out and really accomplished a lot, while relaxing and having fun. Also, the more laid back the tutorial is run, the better. I prefer when TAs sit down and don't act like mini professors.

Most importantly, have fun! If you seem to have fun while teaching the material, the students will pick up on that and also have fun.

I completely agree - a relaxed and approachable TA makes the entire tutorial so much better.

The main problem I have with some TAs is their approach to asking and responding to questions; the bads ones seem to either a) ask a question and just wait in silence for an extended period of time for someone to respond or b) respond to student questions and/or answers in a very surly manner when the question and/or answer is not exactly what they expected.

So really, I think the key to being a good TA is to be a mentsch - all you need is knowledge, devotion, and a respectable sense of humor. Sounds easy!

Good luck at Carleton!

lorend says thanks to Shmowen for this post.
Old 08-12-2010 at 07:59 AM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
Haha, I didn't realize it was that long when I was typing it up. Obviously I have some strong opinions regarding TAs! I hope you found some of it at least a little helpful.
Yes I did, very much!