MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement or probation Qtips Academics 8 07-13-2010 11:24 PM
With regards to Reinstatement and Probation Mr. Pink Academics 33 06-01-2010 11:22 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

what does academic probation mean for science?

Old 05-29-2010 at 12:07 PM   #1
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

what does academic probation mean for science?
as stated in the question above ... I got a 3.4 avg this past year and I just finished my first year and on Mugsi it says i can continue on academic probation .. what does that mean? also it says I'm eligible for the B.Sc for Sciences so does that mean that's my program in September? I thought the cut off for that was 3.5. But I'm also taking summer school so will those grades affect my C.A going into second year?
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:14 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
as stated in the question above ... I got a 3.4 avg this past year and I just finished my first year and on Mugsi it says i can continue on academic probation .. what does that mean? also it says I'm eligible for the B.Sc for Sciences so does that mean that's my program in September? I thought the cut off for that was 3.5. But I'm also taking summer school so will those grades affect my C.A going into second year?
I believe that's the stream you go into if you don't get accepted to the streams you applied for.

Academic probation mean that you will be allowed to take courses for 1 review period. If you don't get your average high enough during that 1 review period then you will be kicked out of school.

All courses affect your C.A. They will also be included in your S.A. next year.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:16 PM   #3
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I believe that's the stream you go into if you don't get accepted to the streams you applied for.

Academic probation mean that you will be allowed to take courses for 1 review period. If you don't get your average high enough during that 1 review period then you will be kicked out of school.

All courses affect your C.A. They will also be included in your S.A. next year.

What does a review period mean? and by high enough does that mean higher than a 3.5? or what I currently have?
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:21 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

i think it is atleast a 4 or 5 that you need to obtain
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:40 PM   #5
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

In my honest opinion, if you get grades low enough that you're put on academic probation, then maybe you should reconsider the program that you're in, or reconsider if university is right for you.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:42 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
What does a review period mean? and by high enough does that mean higher than a 3.5? or what I currently have?
1 review period is 1 year. You basically have this spring/summer and next fall/winter to get your grades up.
Old 05-29-2010
caludujf
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:48 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by caludujf View Post
Do they mail your grades to your house? Or is it only posted online.
You do realize you don't have to ask the question in every single thread right? Your question was already answered twice.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:44 PM   #8
killza

Liked: 105 Times

academic probation should mean that you need to kick yourself on the behind and really concentrate on you work. Don't give up! McMaster has given you an extra opportunity to redeem yourself, what you do with it is up to yourself now.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:58 PM   #9
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

im also in the life science program however my average is 4.5; no indication of academic probation but im not legible for ANY of the programs i applied to including B.sc life sciences, only life sciences 1, does this mean i have to do first year all over again?
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:01 PM   #10
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
im also in the life science program however my average is 4.5; no indication of academic probation but im not legible for ANY of the programs i applied to including B.sc life sciences, only life sciences 1, does this mean i have to do first year all over again?

on ur grade report does it say your eligible for b.sc for sciences?
if it does .. that means that you can shadow the program you wanted to get into second year and reapply to it third year if your bring your marks up
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:04 PM   #11
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
on ur grade report does it say your eligible for b.sc for sciences?
if it does .. that means that you can shadow the program you wanted to get into second year and reapply to it third year if your bring your marks up
no...it doesn't in fact its specifically in the ineligible list
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:28 PM   #12
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
oh .. then i would recommend going to see a counselor .. because there must be a reason why your ineligible for that program because as far as i know the cut off is 3.5 and clearly you're above that
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:29 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You should definitively arrange a meeting with an academic advisor ASAP, definitively before your course selection date.
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:35 PM   #14
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

If you dont get into any second year program, then you go into "Science II" which is general Science in second year.