MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
With regards to Reinstatement and Probation Mr. Pink Academics 33 06-01-2010 11:22 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

reinstatement or probation

Old 07-13-2010 at 04:22 PM   #1
Qtips

Liked: 0 Times

reinstatement or probation
unfortunately I didnt do well on my first year in university. One of my grand parents got diagnoesd with cancer and all my faimily are busy with this situation and the worst part is I am the only one in canada and I couldnt do anything. (all my family are in china)

I had a lot stress and I just couldnt do well on studies. I failed biochem and had 2 Ds in other healthsciences courses..and i got the CA of 3.0 the results from the program were "may not continue in this program, may seek transfer to another faculty..."

I attended 1 year pre health science program at mohawk and i got the average of 87-88 in all the health science courses. I understand there is a difference between college level and university level, but my point is getting 90 in chemitry and 85 in biology is still a good mark.

So what I did is I requested for probation ----> denied. And I guess the only 2 options i have is - apply for reinstatement or apply for appeal?any advice is welcomed!!

THANKYOU!!

Last edited by Qtips : 07-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 at 04:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtips View Post
unfortunately I didnt do well on my first year in university. One of my grand parents got diagnoesd with cancer and all my faimily are busy with this situation and the worst part is I am the only one in canada and I couldnt do anything. (all my family are in china)

I had a lot stress and I just couldnt do well on studies. I failed biochem and had 2 Ds in other healthsciences courses..and i got the CA of 3.0 the results from the program were "may not continue in this program, may seek transfer to another faculty..."

I attended 1 year pre health science program at mohawk and i got the average of 87-88 in all the health science courses. I understand there is a difference between college level and university level, but my point is getting 90 in chemitry and 85 in biology is still a good mark.

So what I did is I requested for probation ----> denied. And I guess the only 2 options i have is - apply for reinstatement or apply for appeal?any advice is welcomed!!

THANKYOU!!
Why did you apply for probation? That's something you usually do before choosing to spend a year not at McMaster. What you should do is apply for re-instatement. Not sure of the exact procedures, but an academic adviser can help you with that. Speak to one tomorrow because it's either too late or really close to the deadline to be re-instated to McMaster for the next year.
Old 07-13-2010 at 04:53 PM   #3
Qtips

Thankyou for your reply.
but when I first talked to the student advisor in my program, she said i have to sit out for 1 year? like im applying reinstatement for the 2011 intake.
But isn't probation like I can still stay in the program this year and just re-do my failed courses?

Last edited by Qtips : 07-13-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 at 04:58 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thankyou for your reply.
but when I first talked to the student advisor in my program, she said i have to sit out for 1 year? like im applying reinstatement for the 2011 intake. im confused.
That doesn't make sense... Unless you were in a joint-program with McMaster while at Mohawk then you haven't been a student at McMaster in a year and thus would have to apply for re-instatement. When did you talk to the academic advisor?
Old 07-13-2010 at 05:00 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thankyou for your reply.
but when I first talked to the student advisor in my program, she said i have to sit out for 1 year? like im applying reinstatement for the 2011 intake.
But isn't probation like I can still stay in the program this year and just re-do my failed courses?
Probation means that you are allowed to stay at McMaster for 1 academic session (which is basically fall/winter). During this time you have to bump up your average (I think to 4). So it wouldn't apply in your case.
Old 07-13-2010 at 05:03 PM   #6
Qtips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Probation means that you are allowed to stay at McMaster for 1 academic session (which is basically fall/winter). During this time you have to bump up your average (I think to 4). So it wouldn't apply in your case.
oook now I get it.
Old 07-13-2010 at 05:08 PM   #7
Qtips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That doesn't make sense... Unless you were in a joint-program with McMaster while at Mohawk then you haven't been a student at McMaster in a year and thus would have to apply for re-instatement. When did you talk to the academic advisor?

Yes I am in the 4 year joint program with mohawk. My first appointment with her was in mid of June i think..
Old 07-13-2010 at 05:16 PM   #8
Qtips

Failure

A student whose CA is less than 3.5, and who has not been granted program probation, may not continue in the program.
A student who fails to obtain a CA of 3.5 at the completion of the program probation may not continue in the program.
A student may normally repeat a level of work only once.
If a student fails to meet the minimum grade requirements in the required graded Nursing and required Health Sciences courses or a Pass designation in the clinical nursing courses, the student may, at the discretion of the Coordinator of Studies in consultation with the program Reviewing Committee, be allowed to repeat the course in which the minimum grade or Pass requirement has not been met. If a student fails to meet the minimum grade or Pass requirements after repeating the course, he or she may not continue in the program. A student may normally be allowed to repeat only one clinical and one non-clinical Nursing or Health Sciences course during the program.
Old 07-13-2010 at 11:24 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yes I am in the 4 year joint program with mohawk. My first appointment with her was in mid of June i think..
Hmmm, I can't really help you anymore now that I know you are in a joint-program. My knowledge of that area is very limited and I actually find it quite confusing... You are still a McMaster student and you did well last year. But since Mohawk is also involved I don't really know what to do. I can only suggest to visit the academic counselor again.