MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement or probation Qtips Academics 8 07-13-2010 11:24 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

With regards to Reinstatement and Probation

Old 05-05-2010 at 11:13 PM   #1
Mr. Pink

Liked: 14 Times

With regards to Reinstatement and Probation
Hello; here is my situation.

In year one, I ended the year with an average of 3.8 (minus an elective that I had yet to take and Chemistry).

While over-working, I took these courses and my results were poor. I ended with 3 in a 5-unit course and 1 in a 3-unit course, resulting in an average of 3.5 :(

I took an irregular year, but stubbornly I decided to take engineering 2nd year maths and ended up failing one course and getting a 1 in another while receiving 6,4,3,2 in four 3 unit courses.

My average, with the 1 failure is now a 3.2.

Will I be withdrawn or may I reinstate?

I also suffer from depression and went through a relationship event involving agony and relinquishment this past year; these events did affect my marks I admit; but will the mention help or hurt my case in my reinstatement letter?

I would also like to hear from anyone whom has reinstated, and what it is like, a PM, anything is appreciated.

I was able to register in summer courses, so I've taken an econ course and plan on studying like a beast to make sure I 12 it.

Any help is appreciated, as google only seems to return an obscure result regarding a midwifery program at Mac and the Registrar 'Ask Mac' is not helpful either.

In need of help and slightly concerned,

Mr. Pink
Old 05-05-2010 at 11:43 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Hello; here is my situation.

In year one, I ended the year with an average of 3.8 (minus an elective that I had yet to take and Chemistry).

While over-working, I took these courses and my results were poor. I ended with 3 in a 5-unit course and 1 in a 3-unit course, resulting in an average of 3.5 :(

I took an irregular year, but stubbornly I decided to take engineering 2nd year maths and ended up failing one course and getting a 1 in another while receiving 6,4,3,2 in four 3 unit courses.

My average, with the 1 failure is now a 3.2.

Will I be withdrawn or may I reinstate?

I also suffer from depression and went through a relationship event involving agony and relinquishment this past year; these events did affect my marks I admit; but will the mention help or hurt my case in my reinstatement letter?

I would also like to hear from anyone whom has reinstated, and what it is like, a PM, anything is appreciated.

I was able to register in summer courses, so I've taken an econ course and plan on studying like a beast to make sure I 12 it.

Any help is appreciated, as google only seems to return an obscure result regarding a midwifery program at Mac and the Registrar 'Ask Mac' is not helpful either.

In need of help and slightly concerned,

Mr. Pink
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...ent/pg135.html

You won't be kicked out of university, for that to happen you would need a CA of less than 3. Apparently there is no academic probation in engineering. You should definitively go see an academic advisor.

Mr. Pink says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:02 AM   #3
Mr. Pink

As average approaches 3.0-3.5 ... everything goes missing it seems. regardless, i think i will reinstate. i was told that reinstatement is below a 3.0 but i guess now is a good time as any to start with a clean slate.

why is the eng faculty lacking probation...

its like, as avg approaches the 3.0 to 3.5 zone ZALGOT̵͉͉̹̭̺͓̪̓̍o̓́ͪͮ ̤̮̰͈͢ ̩͚̙̪̝ͦ̈́ͤͮͬ͒̐ǐ̶͐̎̂̒̕͜ ̫̥̟̥̙͈̯͈n̟͖̄̓̓̎̀̚̕v̽͆ ͆̿̐҉̘̘̪̦̳͈́o̵̙̰̒̀̋k͋̽ ͓̌̊̀̿̍̋e͓͙ͤͪͯ͘ ̆̉͂̑͂͏̟̹̥̥͇̖̹̼t̉͛ͮ̄̚͜ ̴̱̙͈̗̫̜̭̗ḧ̊͏̡͉̺͓̗͡ͅe ͪ͘҉͚̰ ͚̞͈̂h̅̓͑ͦ̿ͭ҉̪̲̜̙̖͚i͆̽ ̨̼͇̣̑͜v̡̰͉̆ͩͫ̓ͬ̓̋͜͡ĕ ̶̜͚͉̂-ͭ͏̪̠̭͈̟̪͝m̡͍̜̘̭͚͍͓͎̑͢ ĩ̧̖͕͎̰̝ͥ̋̂̓ͭͫ͟ṅͣ̈ͣ͂ ̘̬̗͚̩̩̬̓͢d̷̛̈ͫͬ̅ͅ ̤̪͔ ̷̲͔̜̩͑ͮ͡r̟̥͓̣̦̫͙̻̀͝e͐ ͕̥̓͐ͥ̽ͦ̾͗̉͞p̫͖̩ͬͩ̂͑ͬͣ ̻ȓ̨̙̠͉̭̭͓̫͂ͬ̑̀ͅeͩ̆́͒ ̞̼̥͙̲͔͙͖̰̓s̡͇̐ͭ̏̏̈́̚͞ ͈̥̰̫̫̥̩e̸̡͕̠̬ͧ̈́̀͒ͥ́̅ͨ ͎ͅn̛̯͔̅͂̒̑̓̓ͦ̐͟ͅt̊ͤͩͥ ̡̝͚͗͡ͅi̡͈̭͇͉̲̘̋̾͑͂̃n̾ ͏̳̪̺͙͔̟̠ǵ̴̤̻̪̜̘̚ ̖̞ ̂ͬͨ̆̌̋ͭ͏̞̺͙̣͈͕̺̠͡cͧ̔҉ ͇̤͍̮̹ͅͅh̡̫̤͗ͣͫ͌̃ͭ̐̔̀͡ ̝͕͙̯a̷̩̱̭̝͎̤̮̥̝͒̏͆ͣ͛o ̴̷̡̠̆́ͯͧs̳̫͗ͤͭ̽̈̚̚̕͠. ̢̰͓̺̻̙̝̭̐̓̽̊̀ͮ̇͑̕ ͚̫
̖̼͎͉̝͚̝͍ͯ̽͐̓͂̑̊͢Iͥ͑̌͐ ̷̪͎̟n̮̤͉̖ͥ̃̇ͦͩ̉̅̅̔͡ͅv ̵̙̫̗̑ͭ͘͞oͬ̆ͣ̒ͦ͢͠҉̗̲͕̘ ͇͙̰ͅk͚͎̩̝͎͈̤̞ͣͦ̕͢ï̋ͪ ̬͕͔̭̰̳͉̙̆͒ͤ͒̚n̡̹̮͖̔͌̽ ̖̻͓͉g̵̬̙̗̋͌ͧ͒͑͒̿̚ ̙ ͫ͜͡҉̖t̴̴͖͔̰͈̝͈̯̑̿ͤ͝h͑ ͉̙̦̻̪̼̉̿̆͗͆̒̅͢e̪ͧ̑͋̅̓ ̝̼̣͚̺̫̹ ̶̗̹̹̝̱͚̗͔̦̑̿̎̽̒̊͂͂̓͟f ̶̧͉̖̞͇̺̒ͦ̋̈́ẻ̎͛ͪ̐ͮ̈́̒͝ ̬̙̖̞̠͙̱̟e̡̻̫͈͎͐ͣ̇̏̈́̐͟ ͍̺l̞̝̊ͨͦ͌ͩ͢i͖͎̤̟͓͖̓̐ͪ ̜̼͓ṋ̨̬͓̠̯͋͌ͩͫǵͮͧ͂͑͒ ̷̬̬̮ͮ̽ͅ ̡͕̯̱̟̟̩͖̦̻̋ͦ͊̍̿̈̒̎oͣ͌ ͕͙̦ͤͪf̡̝͓͉͓͕̮ͬ̊̊̔̌ͦ̂͢ ̜̣ ̡̼̱̗̺͔̩̯̻ͪ̈ͩͭ̑ç̓ͣ̄ͧ͠ ͍̠̹̘͎̩̱̬́h̵̳ͮ̉͌ͬͨ̏ͧa͋ ̵̳̭͓̲͉͒̅ͥ̓͟͠ͅò̲̱̯̞͐ͅ ̺̹̝̦ş̸̂͏̥͕̻̩̗̗.̈͛̅͋̀ ͇͇͓͖̯
̴͖̮͕͓̲̲̪͖̋̂̏͊̋ͧ͋ͭͦWͦͦ ̡̙̙̳̭̮͓̖̝̃́́í̛̬̼ͧͅͅͅ ͔͔͉t̡̫̝͓́̆̄ͯͮ̚͜hͤ͐͆̒̄ ̸̨̗̮̙͓̦̟͔ͩ̍̊͡ ̶̛̛͎̹̤̲͋͋͐͗ͅŏ̊̈́̆̏̍̿̓ ̖̺͓̩̫̤͈̳̿ű͍͖̓ͫͤ͑ͪ̔̀̀ ͇̘̝̦ͅt̥ͥ̒̎̒̋ͣ̊̔́́ ̯ ͖̹̰͉̼̹̼̓̄ͤ͢͡o̠̺̗ͤ͛ř͆ ̢̪̪̝͇̠͙̌d͖̞̹̦͙̠͌̅́͝eͤ ̻̖̲͕̎ͭ̐͗̋̓͢͢r̷̳ͦ̊ͯͥ̀̏ ͕͙̮͎͔.̤͈̜͍̱͈̓
̢̛̱͔̫̩̙̻̹́͑̏̕ͅT̸̞̋̋͊͞ ͔̙̺͎̫̖ḩ̺̳̗͓͗̇ͪ͊̊̚͢ȇ ̳̱̐̂̅ͤ͂̈́͗͟ ̰̘̼̫̭̪͖̘ͥͬ̊́̏̒͋̆̆Nͮ̓̽ ͙̦̫̘̬̗̹eͩ͆̀ͣ̽ͤ҉͖͖̯̦̥͓ z̸͙̼̪͍̰̓͛ͧ̎̐̔ͥ̚̚͢ͅp̴ͥ ̙̺͉̞e͊̂̓̓̔͊̓҉͏̹̯̣̖̙͢ͅ ̼r͕͖̥͙̽ͅd̦̰̻̠̟̀i̐̓́̽͂ ͖̲̰̘͙̹̅́͆͟ͅa̹͚̠͈̜̘̟͇͋ n̷̜̒ ̙͍͑ͮ͆͑͑ͮͅḩͮ͒ͤͨͧ͊̌͊͢͢ ͈̣̯͍͇̭iͪ̋҉̶͓̘v̴̴̨̯̲̈̔ ̲̦̤e̢͓ͦ̃̽͛̄̊̐͊͜-͙̬̪̣̦̥͕̺ͩͣͤ̈́̌ͩ̑̇͜m̎̌͋ ̴̛̯͍̰̤̺̤̆ͤ́ͧ͡i̶̪͎̬̻͛͞ ̦͔͚͕n̦̗̣͍̎̈́͡ͅd̋͊ͬ̔ͤͫ͛ ̷̳͎͖̠̳̆́͝ ̛̛̮͈͍͕̞̯ͧͫͩͤ͜ö̶́̊ͩ͆ͪ͊ ̟͉͠f̞̳̲̫͆̀͂̍̂ͯ̕͠ ̷̘̳̱̣͖͖͛̽͋̒ͪc̑ͭ͒͆̂́͡͝ ͚͖̹̹̼̘̼ͅh̞͈̜̟̊̕á̊͛ͧ̏ ̶̮̜͍̗̪̜͟o̧̭̜ͫ͆̅̆̏̓ͥ͂́ ̻̪̝̗̮š̢̯̺̽͂̈̏̒ͭ̈́.ͣͩ̏ ̵ͫ̐̾͒̋͊́͏͇̣͍̤̝͎̞͎ ͇ ̷̹͎̬͖̙̫̰̂̑͊͜͠Z̀͗͆ͤ̆ͫͮ ͏̰͍͎aͭ̎̎̐ͧ҉̳͍̖l͒̄́͛̎ͣ ̢̢̼̫̤̝͉̺͇͉̜̊ͮ͟g̑͊̔̇̃͞ ̰͢o̸̶̥͖̞̙̱̽̋̓ͤͬ̿̓̈́͢.̓ ̊͝҉̫͔̦ ̸͇̪̞͈̲̣̣͔͑̂
̶̰̪̯̰̮̗̖̭ͭ͗ͫ̀͡H̓̓ͮͬ͐̽ ̳̩̀͢e͉͂͐̕ ̢͎̙̞͍̥̗̎̃̋̀̈́ͭͣ̈̀w̃͆ͩ̊ ̨̛͕͈̹̫̈́̓h̛̝͎̣ͣ̊̓̓ͫ̿̅̌ ̬͖o͖͖̝̥ͧͭ̍̾̊̌̅̌͝ ̗͇̥̳̓̈̇́͢͝W̧͔͐ͩ͆a̿ͮ̄͏ ̠͕͇̰̗iͨ͗͆ͨ̑͠͏̫̣͕̰tͩ̒ͬ ̸̡̳̳͎͍̮̲̗̺̅̉͌̃͝s͇̀̾͊͜ ̘̦̮̼̱ͅ ̢̙̦͎̣̱͖̮̼̊̔̿͜B̮̳ͨͧ͒̂̀ ̫̮͍͕e̘͖̜̲̼̝̗̪̒̓̑̈̀̒̀h ̦̣̪ͬ̀̈͒̀ͥ͗̂i̶̛̝̅̓͗̂̈͝ ̩̰̯n͎͙̮̄͊ͫ͆ͭ̑̓̕d͒͗ͯ̾͏ ͏̬͍͎̜̗̙͔͕ ̡̥̦̬̣ͤ̂͌̾̎T̬͖̱ͮ̿̅͆̓̑̽ ̣̜̙̬͉h̼͇̣̹͈͉̗ͫ̽̊̉̋̀͝e ̛̺̬͚͙̦̞͔̜͂̒̇ͅ ̵̰̤͕̼̥̉̑̈̒̈̈́̌̕W͂͗̍ͭ̽̚ ͐҉̬̬̲͜͡a͖͔͚̋̃̓ͦ͊ͥ͒ͥͅl ̬̪̈́͡l̡̥͇͎̪͖̔̕ͅ.͉̪͖͂͟ ̯͚

lbqjenny likes this.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:29 AM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

whoa, am i the only one to see the messed up text in that post? it kinda changes as i click on it.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:31 AM   #5
ali999

Liked: 0 Times

I've been there before, you have to keep your average above a 4.0 to stay in engineering and hence no probation period, you can try to transfer to another program such as science or something if there is something there u may be interested in. When I had to apply for reinstatement my average fell just below a 3.0 so it was a little different. I would definitely suggest talking to a counselor first.
Usually they don't just reinstate anybody unless if there are some extraordinary circumstances, such as a death in the family. If you think you were depressed, then you would definitely need some supporting documentation (i.e. a note from a psychiatrist or something) and even that may not be enough. The university likes that you take a year off and either attend college or work somewhere related to that field, and do really good there to demonstrate that you are indeed serious about school. I for one had to take a year off and go to Mohawk, got a 90+ average there (shit is easy) then repeat all the stuff that I had initially failed.
Once again, talk to a counselor as they know best.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:34 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
As average approaches 3.0-3.5 ... everything goes missing it seems. regardless, i think i will reinstate. i was told that reinstatement is below a 3.0 but i guess now is a good time as any to start with a clean slate.

why is the eng faculty lacking probation...͉̪͖̯͚͂͟
For engineering reinstatement information: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1196.html

Scroll down to the bottom.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:55 AM   #7
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali999 View Post
I've been there before, you have to keep your average above a 4.0 to stay in engineering and hence no probation period, you can try to transfer to another program such as science or something if there is something there u may be interested in. When I had to apply for reinstatement my average fell just below a 3.0 so it was a little different. I would definitely suggest talking to a counselor first.
Usually they don't just reinstate anybody unless if there are some extraordinary circumstances, such as a death in the family. If you think you were depressed, then you would definitely need some supporting documentation (i.e. a note from a psychiatrist or something) and even that may not be enough. The university likes that you take a year off and either attend college or work somewhere related to that field, and do really good there to demonstrate that you are indeed serious about school. I for one had to take a year off and go to Mohawk, got a 90+ average there (shit is easy) then repeat all the stuff that I had initially failed.
Once again, talk to a counselor as they know best.

Yeah man, I got supporting documentation and I am on medication for it..

But I also calculated it out and if I manage to get a 12 in macro (should be easy) and above a 9 in my 5 unit math (not easy) during this summer, it will boost me to a 4. I'll just ask my father to help me with the math since he was the prof for the equivalent course back home.

Do you know if I can take summer courses with a 3.2 average? Its allowing me, so I am not gonna stop..
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:56 AM   #8
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
whoa, am i the only one to see the messed up text in that post? it kinda changes as i click on it.
its a joke because no official "status" exists for B. Eng at 3.0 to 3.5..
Old 05-06-2010 at 01:59 AM   #9
Mr. Pink

Btw is there a list of bird summer courses on here? can't find anything in search. Considering dropping macro for something else.
Old 05-06-2010 at 02:21 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Btw is there a list of bird summer courses on here? can't find anything in search. Considering dropping macro for something else.
Bird courses are subjective. My bird courses are Plant Bio (Bio 2D03), Math (1A03), Micro (Econ 1B03), Genetics (Bio 2C03), Biochem (2EE3), Physics (1B03).
Old 05-06-2010 at 09:58 AM   #11
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

In your case you can't stay in engineering because you need 4.0

But there is something called M-opportunity:

" ENGINEERING I
To be eligible for a Level II Engineering program, a student must successfully complete all non-elective Level I courses with an overall Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0 or greater. To help students who may have had academic difficulty during the year, the Faculty of Engineering has a remedial studies plan (called the M-Opportunity) that provides the opportunity to repeat failed courses in second term and/or in the summer. The results of these M-Opportunity courses are used to calculate a new CA (failed courses are still counted in the CA)."

So calculate if high summer marks will bring you up to a 4.0, then try to pull it off. Otherwise ya you have to apply for reinstatement.

Btw you are able to take courses right now because you have not been kicked out of engineering yet, and a 3.0 will keep you in university but you will need to get into a different faculty if engineering declines your reinstatement (assuming you don't manage a 4.0 in summer)

Last edited by mOeeOm : 05-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-06-2010 at 11:49 AM   #12
ali999

Quote:
But I also calculated it out and if I manage to get a 12 in macro (should be easy) and above a 9 in my 5 unit math (not easy) during this summer, it will boost me to a 4.
Dude....i've taken micro before and while easy, it is still not that simple to get a 12. And same goes for getting a 9 in math. If your plan is to try and ace these courses, then I strongly suggest you think of a backup.

And like I said before, talk to a counselor. You can send them an email or call them if you are unable to go there personally, since they always know best.
Old 05-06-2010 at 12:03 PM   #13
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

as for a bird course in summer school: music 2II3: popular music post WWII. i'm taking it right now. i've heard it is easy, and seems like it so far. there's no assignments or papers; just 2 multiple choice midterms and MC exam. it's also pretty interesting, and a nice change from all the eng courses.
Old 05-06-2010 at 01:21 PM   #14
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa View Post
as for a bird course in summer school: music 2II3: popular music post WWII. i'm taking it right now. i've heard it is easy, and seems like it so far. there's no assignments or papers; just 2 multiple choice midterms and MC exam. it's also pretty interesting, and a nice change from all the eng courses.
2ii3, full. of course. i'll F5 it now and then I guess.
edit: ahhh bollocks, phys 1b03 is also full.

and yeah.. macro could be hard.

I got an 8 in micro doing it along side all my other courses, so by itself it macro shouldn't be bad.
Old 05-06-2010 at 01:22 PM   #15
ali999

you better check what electives you are allowed though. Its been a while for me so I am not too sure right now, but if I recall correctly, if you are in engineering, there is a set list of elective courses from which you are allowed to choose.