MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement or probation Qtips Academics 8 07-13-2010 11:24 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

With regards to Reinstatement and Probation

Old 05-06-2010 at 01:27 PM   #16
Mr. Pink

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali999 View Post
you better check what electives you are allowed though. Its been a while for me so I am not too sure right now, but if I recall correctly, if you are in engineering, there is a set list of elective courses from which you are allowed to choose.
Well.. macro is allowed, I am sure, and so I think I'll stick with it and eng need 6 units of electives, so this will complete that.

But yea, I'll check for other courses too.

Last edited by Mr. Pink : 05-06-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2010 at 02:53 PM   #17
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf
Old 05-06-2010 at 03:10 PM   #18
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali999 View Post
you better check what electives you are allowed though. Its been a while for me so I am not too sure right now, but if I recall correctly, if you are in engineering, there is a set list of elective courses from which you are allowed to choose.
He can take courses that are not in the approved elective list, they will effect his GPA regardless they just won't count towards his degree. Also another option is to repeat classes even if you passed them, you can boost your grades in them.
Old 05-06-2010 at 05:40 PM   #19
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
He can take courses that are not in the approved elective list, they will effect his GPA regardless they just won't count towards his degree. Also another option is to repeat classes even if you passed them, you can boost your grades in them.
you sure about this rule? hmm, this could be something useful in the long run..

Old 05-06-2010 at 07:01 PM   #20
Mr. Pink

Quote:
i wasn't 100% sure about this. thanks alot
Old 05-06-2010 at 07:08 PM   #21
mOeeOm

You can take any course you feel like or repeat courses you passed. It will all go into the calculation of your GPA regardless, the only thing is it may not go towards your degree depending on the course.

If you repeat a course that you passed, on your degree audit it will say it is a duplicate course. It will affect your GPA but only your highest attempt will show up on your diploma.
If you take a course that is not required for your degree, it will affect your GPA but it will not show up on your diploma.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited by mOeeOm : 05-06-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2010 at 09:44 AM   #22
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
You can take any course you feel like or repeat courses you passed. It will all go into the calculation of your GPA regardless, the only thing is it may not go towards your degree depending on the course.

If you repeat a course that you passed, on your degree audit it will say it is a duplicate course. It will affect your GPA but only your highest attempt will show up on your diploma.
If you take a course that is not required for your degree, it will affect your GPA but it will not show up on your diploma.

the thing is, I was in similar trouble in my first year engineering (passed all courses, low gpa), and Sally Williams wouldn't let me do this. Mr.Pink, I suggest you talk to an academic councilor to make sure this is correct to be safe.

Old 05-07-2010 at 11:59 AM   #23
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
the thing is, I was in similar trouble in my first year engineering (passed all courses, low gpa), and Sally Williams wouldn't let me do this. Mr.Pink, I suggest you talk to an academic councilor to make sure this is correct to be safe.
yeah i was in pretty much the same my 1st yr. the only course i failed was zz5, so i had to repeat that and the chemistry i never took. my prob was, i had to work at the same time and i had a b*tch gf that wouldn't leave me alone; so i didn't have much time to put in the effort... sally would not let take any irrelevant courses (if i did i might have failed, so i guess its good i didn't).

now i have to decide what course to take.

i threw all the data into excel.. and lets put it this way..

if i get a tutor and focus hard on acing macro 1st term, i'll 12 it.

from that, i would be able to take a heavy course, like 1zz5, for 2nd term. that would mean that each grade point is now working 1.666...77 times as much as a 3 unit course. If I 8 - 12 1zz5, I will have a 4+ CA.

whereas, if i take a 3 unit course 2nd term as well, i might get screwed if i get anything below.. a 10.. :/
Old 05-07-2010 at 04:21 PM   #24
mOeeOm

Also remember that you don't need a 4.0, you need 3.95, mcmaster rounds up.

So that might make it easier for you.
Old 05-07-2010 at 05:18 PM   #25
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Also remember that you don't need a 4.0, you need 3.95, mcmaster rounds up.

So that might make it easier for you.
don't low ball..better aim a little higher to be safe

You better work your butt off.getting a 12 in any course is a feat in its own right

Old 05-07-2010 at 09:27 PM   #26
Mr. Pink

Quote:

You better work your butt off.getting a 12 in any course is a feat in its own right
yea man. **** lowballing. go hard or go home.
i 12'd 1c03 am i cool yet?
Old 05-08-2010 at 12:37 AM   #27
mOeeOm

Quote:

Obviously, just letting him know that his situation has some hope.
Old 05-08-2010 at 04:40 AM   #28
ali999

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
i 12'd 1c03 am i cool yet?
naw man....1c03 is a ****ing joke....no offense but thats the bird course of engineering 1.....just because u did good there means nothing....the other courses are completely different and will **** u in the ass...i don't mean to be a dick but thats just how i feel about it
Old 05-08-2010 at 10:33 AM   #29
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Obviously, just letting him know that his situation has some hope.
Implying I won't ace these courses.
Old 05-27-2010 at 08:41 AM   #30
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:

well I just emailed my guidance councilor Jeanne Hopkins, cause I too might be stuck in this situation and she said this:

If you fall below a CA of 4.0 , you will need to apply for reinstatement your average is calculated from the beginning till the end of April, summer school will not help.

so..i guess that's wrong :S