MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illness- final exams demelo_b Academics 12 12-06-2010 09:57 AM
New University Policy on Reporting Illness finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-28-2010 02:39 PM
interested in applying to med school? Wanna get a head start over other applicants? MSHI General Discussion 0 03-12-2009 02:15 PM
105 Applicants : Disadvantaged? Sweetie321 General Discussion 2 03-08-2009 10:46 PM

how does McMaster consider applicants with illness?

Old 03-10-2013 at 09:13 PM   #1
pandabearxox

Liked: 2 Times

how does McMaster consider applicants with illness?
Hello I know i've asked quite a few questions over the last few days, but i'm a very nervous applicant with MANY questions
So I emailed McMaster and they told me to write them a detailed letter explaining my situation, so I did, but i'm just wondering how they consider applicants with illness different from applicants who don't have any special circumstances
Thank you for everyone who takes their time to reply, its VERY much appreciated!
Old 03-10-2013 at 11:38 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Well keep in mind there is usually a human on the other side reading the letter so it really depends on your situation. I didn't read your other posts, but lets say your grades were high first semester and the second semester, when the illness occurred, shows a drop in your average, they may be more forgiving depending on your case

pandabearxox says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 03-10-2013 at 11:56 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Amber

Definitely don't be afraid to ask questions... the MacInsiders community is always here to help!

Unfortunately I don't have any personal knowledge on this subject, but I would assume that they would not discriminate against applicants with illness/disability. But I think from the other posts you've made it sounds like you're wondering if they would consider lower marks based on a reason of having an illness. It would most likely be a case-by-case basis, just write a truthful letter explaining in detail your reasoning and see what they say. If you have a doctor note it would probably strengthen your case.

Goodluck!

pandabearxox says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 03:12 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Hey Amber, I'm glad you were able to get ahold of them! To be quite honest, I don't think many of us are able to give you much of a detailed answer. Considering that it is a very special circumstance, my guess is that most of us here have no experience with this. Even if they did, it's still hard to say if it would be reflective of what your application process is like because they handle each of these situations on a case-by-case basis. As Snowman mentioned above, there is a human being on the other side reading your letter and reviewing your application. They will take into consideration all the things that you have provided with them so see if you would be able to be successful here. McMaster is generally very good about providing special consideration and accommodations to those who have a disability, illness, or other complications. But like I said, it's really impossible for us to tell for sure. Hope for the best!

pandabearxox says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 03:42 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I think you'll find that McMaster's accommodations for both mental(includes learning disability) and physical illness is very extensive and well--- accommodating.

source: myself

pandabearxox says thanks to ZSimon for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:28 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I think you'll find that McMaster's accommodations for both mental(includes learning disability) and physical illness is very extensive and well--- accommodating.

source: myself
I guess everyone has their own experiences.

I find that in theory it is, and it's set up well, but individual people's attitudes can make it very difficult (such as profs and IAs). These people end up getting overruled and don't typically have much of a choice in the matter, but they can still negatively affect other aspects of your time in their course.

pandabearxox says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:31 PM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I guess everyone has their own experiences.

I find that in theory it is, and it's set up well, but individual people's attitudes can make it very difficult (such as profs and IAs). These people end up getting overruled and don't typically have much of a choice in the matter, but they can still negatively affect other aspects of your time in their course.
I know what you mean. While they are required to accommodate you, it is easy for them to make excuses so that you have to do things there way. That is understandable, within reason, but sometimes it's just like they are ignoring the fact that there are suppose to be special considerations.

pandabearxox says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 04:57 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
I know what you mean. While they are required to accommodate you, it is easy for them to make excuses so that you have to do things there way. That is understandable, within reason, but sometimes it's just like they are ignoring the fact that there are suppose to be special considerations.
Yeah...sometimes it's well-intentioned but misguided, and other times it's fully trying to avoid giving you the accommodations as intended. Other times, they'll give you the accommodation but mark you more harshly (even on things that had nothing to do with the accommodation). Again, sometimes that is subconscious, and other times it isn't.

pandabearxox says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-11-2013 at 07:41 PM   #9
pandabearxox

I'm now in remission (yay!)..The medication i'm on right now is supposed to be long term!
So i'm almost positive it won't affect my university courses
But it has affected my grade 12 marks obviously, but I just am a dedicated person and haven't given up yet! I just don't want this setback in my life that wasn't my fault at all to affect my future, which of course includes getting into university :(

ashleighp likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 01:33 AM   #10
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Hey Panda, I was just reading over and I am also an applicant, I hear remission and I think I know what you are probably going through and I just wanted to say that I hope you stay strong. I hope you'll pull through this! ADD OIL!

pandabearxox says thanks to allanandthera for this post.
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:04 PM   #11
pandabearxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
Hey Panda, I was just reading over and I am also an applicant, I hear remission and I think I know what you are probably going through and I just wanted to say that I hope you stay strong. I hope you'll pull through this! ADD OIL!
Thank you That means a lot!
Old 03-12-2013 at 11:05 PM   #12
pandabearxox

Applicants with special circumstances whose average falls slightly below the required admission average may forward a letter to the Admissions Office explaining the nature of their extenuating circumstances.

In some cases, the university may request letters of recommendation, personal history or other additional information to aid in the admission process.

^^ Found that on the Mac website. I wonder what they consider slightly below..hmmm maybe 3-4%?