MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone had accounting 2AA3 - This summer? CAHopeful General Discussion 2 07-02-2011 04:45 PM
Accounting at McMaster vi3tgurl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 35 04-27-2010 05:53 PM
Accounting Major/Specialization MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-12-2009 08:59 PM

How does one get an accounting job at the Big4?

Old 05-18-2012 at 04:51 PM   #1
Unregistered

How does one get an accounting job at the Big4?
I hear many ppl want an accounting job at one of the big 4 but how does one get one? I hear there is a Mac Accounting club that will hosts events, but what can i do that will really distinguish myself from everyone else ie climb mt everest. What do they look for gpa, ec, personality, i dunno i think i will be going to the kpmg events in june if that matters
Old 05-18-2012 at 06:17 PM   #2
Unregistered

GPA
ECs
Interview

How to distinguish yourself? Well, do not go to each Big4 representative, do some research on the firm you like most and ask intelligent questions.

What is the culture like at _____?
What do you think the institution of this regulation will have on accounting practices? Will it impede the firm's growth? Which pipeline(s) of revenue can be hurt? etc.

Credentials:
Got a big4 job
Old 05-18-2012 at 10:31 PM   #3
Unregistered

GPA is the minimum cut-off to be even considered for an entry position at one of the big 4 firms. Personally, CONNECTIONS/NETWORKS is how you even get considered for a job interview to work for one of these firms. I advise you to attend information sessions and contact any alumni/friends/families who are currently working at one of the big 4 firms. So yes, go to the KPMG events to network and stay in touch with the people you talk to.

Summary: NETWORK with professionals working at the big 4 firms.