MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make Coffee Chevalier Body & Food 0 06-30-2014 12:32 PM
Coffee and how much? AnimeGamer31 Body & Food 10 11-13-2013 03:13 PM
Does this notebook seem good based on the specs and is it a good price considering camelsrfun Computers & Tech 1 01-20-2013 10:22 PM
Is my timetable good? What changes should i make ? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-22-2012 10:03 AM

How does one make good coffee

Old 07-05-2014 at 12:04 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

How does one make good coffee
Hey there

So i have finely ground coffee, really finely ground, like a powder even.

The problem is when i go to make coffee, it tastes very gritty, because the grounds go right through the filter and into the cup.

Now originally i used a french press and would filter the coffee twice, which became tedious and a pain

I also got a drip coffee maker and that didnt work too well either, although it was better, i found the coffee to be more bitter (i could handle black from the french press, but not from the drip because it was much more bitter) --- also, something that perplexes me about the drip is when i go to open the top and remove the grounds i always find that a little funnel has been made because of the drip and all the coffee pushed to the sides. so i wonder if the grounds are actually emersed in the water or if the drip action just washes the coffee to the sides and eventually doesnt really ... whatever the right terminology is here to say take on the aroma or taste or w.e.)

So would anyone have any recommendation as to how i could make some dam good coffee with my finely ground coffee beans and any device they would recommend.

thanks

!~ a novice at making coffee

Freija likes this.
Old 07-05-2014 at 03:57 AM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I know nothing of making coffee but I found this post adorable for some reason

Lifehacker usually has pretty good guides for everything so maybe there's something there that can help you out?

http://lifehacker.com/5989565/brew-t...complete-guide

good luck!
Old 07-05-2014 at 11:55 AM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

First off, are you grinding your own beans? If not, that's your first problem. I switched a few months ago to grinding my own beans and my coffee tastes remarkably better. I also drink it black. Drip coffee makers don't immerse as well, like you said they do create a funnel so to speak.

Both the grinder and the french press I use are from Bodum and my beans end up being a powder once grinded and the french press doesn't allow little bits to get into my coffee. Inbox me if you need help.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Freija likes this.
Old 07-05-2014 at 01:30 PM   #4
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

im drinking a drip-kirkland coffee and even with 3 scoops its still weak for a cup...
will try gettingthese whole coffee beans next time
Old 07-05-2014 at 03:21 PM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

The magic name is: Melitta. They invented the filter system. Use extra-fine ground coffee (Do your own grinding, if you like.) Set up the amount of coffee to your taste (Try any provided instructions first.) Pour clean, almost boiling water over the coffee in the filter. (Tea requires water that is "rolling boiling", coffee just a bit cooler than that.) Try it!

For pre-ground coffee, almost anything from Melitta's product will work. I also like the bronze-coloured can from Fortino's, because it's the only one that comes "extra-fine" ground. Once you figure out the basics, get your own whole beans and an electric coffee grinder.

Many, many years ago, Melitta used to sell an earthenware pot and filter. That's how I learned to enjoy coffee fifty years ago. Today, you can go to Canadian Tire or Wally-Mart (I've forgotten which one) and buy a small red plastic filter cone and a couple of paper filters to get started. It works great for a super cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

Last edited by oldviking : 07-05-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: additional info