MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***need 1 roomate** RVD1018 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 0 06-14-2011 06:15 PM
Seeking Student Support for the Wilson Building (new Liberal Arts Building) finklej MacInsiders Announcements 41 10-31-2010 11:29 PM
Can i change my roommate before i move into residence building ilovemac Residence & Housing 10 07-03-2009 11:31 PM
Math Factor Contest with Cash Prizes for First Years!‏ temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2009 11:34 PM

Does what program you are in factor in the residence building and/or roomate you get?

Old 05-21-2012 at 12:47 PM   #1
Unregistered

Does what program you are in factor in the residence building and/or roomate you get?
So I'm in Commerce would I have a better chance at getting into residence buildings closer to Degroote School of Business? Do you get paired with people in your program as your roomates?
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:54 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I am not in commerce, but you will probably not gonna have any classes in the degroote school of business building. Your econ classes (1b03&1bb3) are probably gonna be in the mdcl...so it doesn't really matter what residence you are in.
I am not sure about your other questions since I never lived on campus.
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:56 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I am not in commerce, but you will probably not gonna have any classes in the degroote school of business building. Your econ classes (1b03&1bb3) are probably gonna be in the mdcl...so it doesn't really matter what residence you are in.
I am not sure about your other questions since I never lived on campus.
I mean you are not gonna have any classes there in first year, your classes are gonna be all over the place !
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:59 PM   #4
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

no and no
the residence placement has to do with your questionnaire of habits and your ranking of residence type... then luck
they do not factor in your program and they do not attempt to place you with someone in the same program- there are just too many students and too many other externalities to factor in so it ends up being slightly random .. unless you have a 95+ average, then you are guaranteed a single room, although still not the location of the aforementioned room lol
Old 05-21-2012 at 01:01 PM   #5
David.O

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I mean you are not gonna have any classes there in first year, your classes are gonna be all over the place !
He's right. You won't have any first year classes in DSB. Most of your classes should be in either MDCL, BSB or the Arts Quad (KTH and TSH). Roommate selection is pretty random for the most part.
Old 05-21-2012 at 02:58 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyridm View Post
no and no
the residence placement has to do with your questionnaire of habits and your ranking of residence type... then luck
they do not factor in your program and they do not attempt to place you with someone in the same program- there are just too many students and too many other externalities to factor in so it ends up being slightly random .. unless you have a 95+ average, then you are guaranteed a single room, although still not the location of the aforementioned room lol
When I filled out the questionnaire for residence they asked what program(s) you want your roommate to be in, if you had a preference...so it was taken into account. I don't know if they've changed it since, but they definitely asked about that when I was going into first year.
Old 05-21-2012 at 04:04 PM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
When I filled out the questionnaire for residence they asked what program(s) you want your roommate to be in, if you had a preference...so it was taken into account. I don't know if they've changed it since, but they definitely asked about that when I was going into first year.
They don't ask that anymore.
Old 05-21-2012 at 04:27 PM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

If you are on Campus, you are so close to everything that it doesnt even matter, the furthest points apart are probably only a 10 minute walk max (LP to ETB)