MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM
OSAP! does the following work??? Joyceyblank Financial Aid 1 05-18-2011 08:48 PM
Way too much work Rakim Academics 0 11-18-2010 07:00 PM
who to contact for solar and how does seat reservations work?? Zack120 Academics 3 06-14-2010 03:47 PM

How Does Solar Work

Old 06-09-2013 at 07:36 AM   #1
sierrawin

Liked: 0 Times

How Does Solar Work
Third years are opened to solar before second year students,does this mean that when second years get in the courses will be full?
Old 06-09-2013 at 07:52 AM   #2
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawin View Post
Third years are opened to solar before second year students,does this mean that when second years get in the courses will be full?
Possibly. Quite likely they will grab some spots. Remember that fourth year students got in first! And in some cases they need specific courses to graduate.

It's the job of each department, in consultation with the faculty, to provide a suitable number of places to meet expected demand. If necessary, additional spaces can be created ad hoc. It's not hard for a prof to accommodate a few more bums in the hall. It just takes a few more TAs to do the marking.

If you're concerned, remember. Your time will come too, one of these years...
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:38 AM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
Possibly. Quite likely they will grab some spots. Remember that fourth year students got in first! And in some cases they need specific courses to graduate.

It's the job of each department, in consultation with the faculty, to provide a suitable number of places to meet expected demand. If necessary, additional spaces can be created ad hoc. It's not hard for a prof to accommodate a few more bums in the hall. It just takes a few more TAs to do the marking.

Actually, the school allocates a specific number of spots to each department/year for a class. That is why there are only a specific number of spots available in first year classes to fourth/third/second year students and is the reason that by the time the first year students go onto SOLAR there are enough spots for them to get their required courses. Same thing goes for other levels IE second year classes, third year classes, fourth year classes etc.

So, if Bio 1A03 is currently full to fourth and third year students there are actually still spots available to second and first year students. Spots get allocated to levels and departments to ensure that upper years can't take ALL of the spots in a given class.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:40 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post

Physical space is an issue too. Rooms only have a limited number of seats. While many departments reserve a handful of spots for people who NEED the course but could not get in, once the room is full they can't really do anything about it, and they certainly don't give away these spots to people who want them but don't actually need the course.

Also, not all courses have seats allocated by year/section. I found a pdf about a week ago that listed what allocations were for all the courses, but I'm too lazy to go looking for it again It does exist, though.
Old 06-09-2013 at 09:58 AM   #5
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

I too have a question. Will i only be able to accept my offer for the program i picked when solar opens?