MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens if I dont get into my 2nd year program? mfattal General Discussion 18 12-15-2011 12:20 AM
What happens if you DONT.... shes-a-diva* Academics 1 11-28-2010 01:00 PM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Electives that dont require you to go to class sycoman Academics 2 06-24-2009 10:21 PM
My students in the US dont know math Chad General Discussion 13 08-19-2007 09:14 PM

dont know what to do

Members have rated post #312278 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 04-27-2012 at 09:45 PM   #1
nan100

Liked: 3 Times

dont know what to do
hi, im first year engineering and i messed up hard i havent gotten my last mark yet but it seems that i wont make a cummalitive average of 3.0 to go to summer school. i have a 2.8 right now and i need at least a 5 in materials to get atleast a 3.0 and since i had the flu while writing the exam it didnt go that well plus the exam was hard. This is what I found on mcmaster website

"To be eligible for a Level II Engineering program, a student must successfully complete all non-elective Level I courses with an overall Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0 or greater. To help students who may have had academic difficulty during the year, the Faculty of Engineering has a remedial studies plan (called the M-Opportunity) that provides the opportunity to repeat failed courses in second term and/or in the summer. The results of these M-Opportunity courses are used to calculate a new CA (failed courses are still counted in the CA)."

it says that i need a cumulative average of 4.0 of non-elective coarses and that if i dont make it to 4.0 i can upgrade in summer. i failed one of my electives and one math coarse if i don't count my electives i get a CA of 3.2 making me elegible for summer school. But i talked to Sally today and she said my electives count and i need atleast a 5 in materials to raise my CA to 3.0 and i doubt i got a 5 most likely a 3.

i also dont want to get kicked out is there anything I can do to stay in engineering and get into summer school.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2012 at 09:51 PM   #2
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

If you dont get a 5, your out of the university and will have to apply for reinstatement. Here essentially you have to explain why your performance was poor. Saying you partied will not work. You need a legitimate excuse and you need to provide proof.
Old 04-27-2012 at 09:56 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't want to be pessimistic or hate on ya, but how did you get so low? :(

Theres always the option of approaching professors and requesting mark bumps, but don't count on it. You should speak with an academic counsellor as soon as possible if you're serious about staying in school. Worst case scenario is you have to take a year off, but its possible to bounce back into the game. Best of luck..
Old 04-27-2012 at 09:58 PM   #4
nan100

my main reason was that my mom lost her job and her unemployment insurance ended in october and my dad was barely making enough to pay off bills and stuff so i got really worried how we were gonna get by when both me and my sister go to uni. we were barely getting by with our expenses so that distracted me from my studies and im not sure how i provide proof of that. And what is the due date for the reinstatement? is there a way that i can show i can get better grades in the summer so i dont get kicked out, plus i dont want to take a year off

Last edited by nan100 : 04-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:05 PM   #5
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan100 View Post
my main reason was that my mom lost her job and her unemployment insurance ended in october and my dad was barely making enough to pay off bills and stuff so i got really worried how we were gonna get by when both me and my sister go to uni. so that distracted me from my studies and im not sure how i provide proof of that. And what is the due date for the reinstatement? is there a way that i can show i can get better grades in the summer so i dont get kicked out
if your Sessional average is less than three, the summer courses will not change that fact. You will be booted out of the university during the second term of summer school. You need to focus on applying for reinstatement. You need to get letters from your parents, confirming the financial situation. Provide bank account statements, whatever you can to prove your claim. The more you provide, the greater the likelihood of you getting reinstated.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:10 PM   #6
nan100

my sessional everage for term 2 is a 3.0 but my first term is not
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:17 PM   #7
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
my sessional average for term 2 is a 3.0 but my first term is not
you need an aggregate average for all the courses you have taken. You can't separate them lol.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:19 PM   #8
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
you need an aggregate average for all the courses you have taken. You can't separate them lol.
Yep. Your average has to include every course you've taken in terms one and two, and if it's a 3+, you're solid.

Old 04-27-2012 at 10:20 PM   #9
nan100

altogether my average is a 2.8 atm if i get a 4 in materials i can go to a 2.9 and a 5 then 3.0. who is more lenient on bumping grades O'Shaughnessy or Kish(materials prof) ?
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:21 PM   #10
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
altogether my average is a 2.8 atm if i get a 4 in materials i can go to a 2.9 and a 5 then 3.0. who is more lenient on bumping grades O'Shaughnessy or Kish(materials prof) ?
O'Shaghnessy is going to laugh in your face. She will not change your mark. Not sure about the other guy.

apples12, jon.john23, MacJk like this.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:33 PM   #11
nan100

is it possible to switch to another program ?
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:36 PM   #12
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
is it possible to switch to another program ?
"All students must maintain a Cumulative Average (CA) of at least 3.5 at each review to continue at the University. Under certain circumstances, as described below, students may be allowed to continue on academic probation for one reviewing period with a CA of 3.0 to 3.4. If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University."

If your CA is less than 3, you cannot continue, and will have to apply for reinstatement. My advice is you start writing a letter and provide as much proof as possible.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:40 PM   #13
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

I have the same problem except that I am in 2nd year EE and I got a 0.85 CA. I've missed the midterms of almost all my courses in 2nd term and I couldn't do much when it came to exams so I missed them.

I've missed midterms due to high anxiety disorders and big depression. I don't think they will believe me howerver, what should I do ? Thank you. Should I change school, ? I'm going to miss Mac but I don't think I have a choice now...
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:45 PM   #14
nan100

I asked sally today if i could apply to another university and she said it would be academic dishonesty since mac holds our records
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:46 PM   #15
stressedspec
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
I have the same problem except that I am in 2nd year EE and I got a 0.85 CA. I've missed the midterms of almost all my courses in 2nd term and I couldn't do much when it came to exams so I missed them.

I've missed midterms due to high anxiety disorders and big depression. I don't think they will believe me howerver, what should I do ? Thank you. Should I change school, ? I'm going to miss Mac but I don't think I have a choice now...
as stated earlier you are going to have to apply for reinstatement. You are going to have to go to your doctor. Go through psychological testing and will have to provide concrete proof. You will then have to prove that you no longer any of the above issues. It's unlikely you will be able to prove this in such a short period. My suggestion have a doctor evaluate your condition, go to a psychologist and take the year off to learn better coping skills. We all deal with anxiety and depression on a daily basis, for most of us our future is determined by 40 grades. You just need to learn how to properly cope with stress.